Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
It used to be so, but these days with the current generation people from where i'm from don't work that way. I've attended loads of wedding and how much we give is dependent on the cost of the wedding, ie if we know the wedding at the particular venue costs $150 we'll give $150 ppx.

For my wedding the most given was from a close friend $800 for 2 people. The rest gave $150 ppx or there abouts. Food cost about $220 per person for 3 days not considering lodging. Imagine the "loss" i made. But it's only monetary loss, memories can't be bought nor friendship . Out of the 50 people 20 were friends from overseas and 10 family members also from overseas. At the end of the day we were down about $15k without family, with family blessings it was getting close to breaking even short by a few grand.

I guess differnt type of Asians? LoL
I know a lot of the Asian caterers for weddings in Adelaide and Sydney - you start seeing the same ones and talking to the same ppl when you shoot them long enough, and it is around $80 to $120 ish roughly per head for an 8 to 10 course meal - this is a very loose figure btw as it really depends on what specialty the client orders too. But Asian etiquette here in Aus, or in VN or China or Malaysia or Cambodia and other places that I have attended - it is generally give at least the same amount that it costed for your catering plus a little bit more on top for good luck and present etc.

Worse family I had seen gave 40 or 50 bucks altogether and rocked up as a family of 4.....needless to say in the ante room where we prepare our gear and the bridal party counts the money - a lot of nasty things were mentioned about the aforesaid family.....