Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  77
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Vote/Rating System Feedback thread

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Vote/Rating System Feedback thread

With the voting for POTW 274 underway and using a trial of our new entry rating system, this thread is for member feedback

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS SPECIFIC COMPETITION ENTRIES

We would like to know how the experience of voting/rating the entries was, for you. Anything you wish to raise will be welcome, as all feedback, good and bad, is going to be of benefit.

Looking forward to reading what you think, at this stage, of the new vote/ranking system.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm biased

Voting was quite easy, I just scored each entry on merit, it really did not take any more effort than the old system as there was less scrolling back to compare

Mods have the advantage of seeing the scoring as it happens, I think people will love the feedback and will be very pleased next Sunday

regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to wait for some members to provide feedback, but for me, I found the process of voting on each entry faster than I expected. Once I got into the swing of it, it did not take that long to assess a photo and give it a ranking, and move onto the next one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed it took me a bit longer to complete voting, especially for the intermediate level 48 entries, but this is a first go so maybe I just need some more practice. Could be coincidental but when I logged on to vote I noticed some severe lag on the site, it took a bit longer for the voting pages to load. I'll be curious to see how the voting results are displayed on Sunday. Overall not a bad experience, but I'm not convinced yet it'll be an easier system to use - especially for a single level comp with 50+ entries - definitely more testing required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the new system then 48 entries in intermediate my first thought was "you have got to be kidding", but once I read the points guide-line and got going it really did not take as long as I expected and was probably actually easier because you get to rate all entries rather than trying to pick one shot over another.

I think the system will provide good feeback on entries and it will be interesting to see the results.
    Mark

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the new system. Previously I looked at all of the entries and then went back over them to make my choices. This time I was able to score each entry at first viewing. I did go back over them and review my scores, altering a couple either up or down by one point. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.
    Cliff
    CC always appreciated
    gear: 7D, 400D, 17-55mm IS, 100mm Macro L IS, 70-300mm DO IS, EF 12II and EF 25II Extension Tubes, 580 EX II Speedlite, Printers - Pro9500 Mk II, MX396
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 18-270, Vanguard AltaPro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head, Benro C-058 Tripod and J-1 Ballhead, Velbon Ultrastick 50LX Monopod
    LR5, PS CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVED IT!

Previously, I would um and ah about each photo, click on what I liked then went back again and re-clicked, not really having a 'system' to rate the photos by. They were only chosen because I liked them and it was sometimes hard to chose between them, trying to get the top 4 (or 6)

Now, I put the 'rating guide' on a seperate page for easy access and go through each photo, using the guide as a backup. I went back ONCE to check the scores (not 2 or 3 times like before) and I had finished quicker with this system than the old way.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me a long time and I would not like to do this every week.
    With the printed guide beside me I looked at it often, I think that was a bad idea.
    Actually it got at me so much I left it alone for a while and went and replied to some threads
    Then went back to voting which to me was more of a chore this way.
    Though something that I didn't mind doing before the other way.
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    It took me a long time and I would not like to do this every week.
    With the printed guide beside me I looked at it often, I think that was a bad idea.
    Actually it got at me so much I left it alone for a while and went and replied to some threads
    Then went back to voting which to me was more of a chore this way.
    Though something that I didn't mind doing before the other way.
    Do you think Mary Anne, that if you did this for a couple of weeks, you would not have to refer to the guide and be able to make an informed judgement without using the guide, and then, with a bit of experience, it would be quicker, and easier? Or is this style of voting/ranking going to become tiresome for you?
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-09-2011 at 6:16am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To give everyone some early feedback, the rankings are very close (this is a sample from part of the results of one poll)

Some of the rankings look like this:

It shows that entries are actually very closely rated by members. Which for me, tells me a lot more than the old voting with entries getting one or two votes only.
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-09-2011 at 5:49am.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets face it, voting is generally once a week and then the POTM and the odd special comp.

I think the value of the feedback from the new system will outweigh the little extra effort (which will get easier as people get used to it).

The spread 1st to last is around 4-5 points on the three polls. This is statistically similar to club competitions.

Looking at individual voting (who voted what and how many points) all members are being reasonably consistent,
    albeit some score higher on average than others (which is fine) and some use a bigger spread than others (also fine).

Good work everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more tedious than previous method.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The process I used was:

1. Scan all photos for the best; score that one 10 points
    2. If I noticed a few other photos that were almost the best then I'd give them 9's straight away
    3. Otherwise, go back up to the top and start scoring everything relative to the best photo, only giving less than 5 to those photos that have serious issues (very few to be honest)

Yes, it did take longer to vote. BUT, I actually found it less frustrating than the old system where I would often pick 7 favourites, then have to whittle it down to 4, involving much scrolling up and down to find my selections and make my decision. With the new system it only involves two passes, one for the best photo, and a second one for the rest. If you bear in mind that you're simply scoring relative to the best photo then it's quite simple to dish out scores to the reamaining photos.

It will be extremely interesting to see the results and how they compared to the scores I gave!

Cheers!
    Andrew.
    http://twoclownstripping.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Do you think Mary Anne, that if you did this for a couple of weeks, you would not have to refer to the guide and be able to make an informed judgement without using the guide, and then, with a bit of experience, it would be quicker, and easier?
    I certainly hope so Rick, next vote I will not look at the guide and see how I go. Maybe I will be quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Or is this style of voting/ranking going to become tiresome for you?
    Tiresome interesting word that one, no I don't think so, its new and I have to get used to it. Change is hard for me to gasp sometimes.
    I did do a lot of manual work in the garden yesterday and I was tired, so perhaps not a good time to vote in the evening.
    In future I will vote after lunch the next day when the mind and body are more in tune with each other

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoogest View Post
    The process I used was:

1. Scan all photos for the best; score that one 10 points
    2. If I noticed a few other photos that were almost the best then I'd give them 9's straight away
    3. Otherwise, go back up to the top and start scoring everything relative to the best photo, only giving less than 5 to those photos that have serious issues (very few to be honest)
    That is a very good process!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is an excellent innovation.

I see some members are talking about the time it takes. Yes, it does, but it makes the competition so much more meaningful and if members are trying to assist their fellow members, they should see the time invested as worthwhile. There are plenty of photos that get low scores each week but they're not that bad. This new method provides a type of critique so that even photos that might have received 2 or 4 votes might actually rate a 6 or 7. This gives those members some encouragement, in my view.

I personally believed that going to an optional number of selections (e.g. pick between 2 & 4) was a retrograde step - I tried to vote for as many as possible so as to give as many people encouragement as possible. Having two photos to vote for most weeks meant that the more competitive amongst us may only have voted for their own photo and one other.

The system may need some tweaks, but at this stage, it's a great step forward in value to members.
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new voting. I was able to score each without having to leave out some that I thought were good. I to often chose to many with the old system. It didn't take me as long as I thought it would.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the new voting system. But I think this could improve things;
    • At the confirmation stage, can the images be sorted by the score given (10 to 1) so you get a preview of your rankings before confirming the vote, otherwise the confirmation is quite tedious.
    I think this will make people think about the images more, I know it did for me, but once the meaning of the numbers were remembered, I found it easier and quicker to vote for each. I did it slightly differently to stoogest, and voting on each image by it's merit (where it fitted in the scores), which meant that there may have been 2 images with 9, or even 10, many with 7, etc. I assume this is what was desired.

I am quite used to this scoring system from another site where you can vote similarly, but also includes a drop down for additional feedback (quite useful on very good/bad images). Since this site allows voting at any time, you never know when another image is submitted so you can't select a 10, but instead score them on a standard that you (the scorer) hold all images too, these seems fairer to me. Why vote someone a 10 if it is really only a 8? Using that system it's easier to get a running highest ranked image over time, once a member has voted on the image they can't vote again.

If any of the mods want to know the site to check it out, feel free to drop me a line.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    I liked the new voting system. But I think this could improve things;
    • At the confirmation stage, can the images be sorted by the score given (10 to 1) so you get a preview of your rankings before confirming the vote, otherwise the confirmation is quite tedious.

Great idea (one software guru to another ) ... I'll implement that later in the week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually found this new system a good exercise in making me look deeper into each photo, and it wasn't any where near as daunting as I first thought it would be.
    Found that I use a similar method as "stoogest", find what I consider to be the standout pic, but don't rate it automatically to 10, more to what I consider it's merit is on it's own.
    I then rated each of the remaining photos against the top selections.
    Only problem is that I feel I may have given some entries either a lower or higher score when judged against the first choice shot then they would have if judged on there own.
    It all depends on what score I gave to the "first choice photo. I think I had a fair spread between most liked and least liked photos.....
    To my mind it's still a competition so am I correct to compare and judge all other pics against what I perceive to be the best shot put forward for that week?
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast