User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Is the Canon EOS 550D good enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Canon EOS 550D good enough?

Im Nikon shooter. I shoot sport events. I have been approached by someone who owns this camera and wants to shoot with me. I should point out I make my living (meager thou it might be) from doing thsi (and other stuff). I have an event coming up that will be typically in lowish light and fast paced. At an average event each photographer will take up to 5-6K images a day. Is the Canon EOS 550D good enough for this. Whats its low light usability. Can you create folders on its sd cards to match routine numbers at the event? Any one who can shed any personal light on this would be appreciated. Can this canon shoot with auto ISO like the nikons can?

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Fischer View Post
    Im Nikon shooter. I shoot sport events. I have been approached by someone who owns this camera and wants to shoot with me. I should point out I make my living (meager thou it might be) from doing thsi (and other stuff). I have an event coming up that will be typically in lowish light and fast paced. At an average event each photographer will take up to 5-6K images a day. Is the Canon EOS 550D good enough for this. Whats its low light usability. Can you create folders on its sd cards to match routine numbers at the event? Any one who can shed any personal light on this would be appreciated. Can this canon shoot with auto ISO like the nikons can?
    Yes to good enough for normal stuff, burst mode is slow at 3.4 fps and in raw fills up quickly. 3200ISO max usable without cropping, 1600 if you're picky and if you pixel peep 400. Yes to folders. Yes to auto ISO.

It is a decent camera but the AI servo/Continuous Focus is not great to begin with. Nothing beats a fast lens IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be more concerned about what lenses he is using instead of the camera! Are his lenses fast enough for low light stuff etc

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no to the lenses at this stage. Just kit but Ive stipulated 70-200 is a must have. Although it is sport we dont do a lot of burst shooting. We might take 5K plus images each in a day and we dont edit any or go through them to pick out duds so burst mode just adds to the number.