Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Anti virus program is due for renewal

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Anti virus program is due for renewal

My antivirus program is up for renewal, and I have had a look at the website top 10 reviews, http://anti-virus-software-review.to...com/index.html and find that my current program is in fact #20 on the list of antivirus programs. I can say however that I have never had any problem with it and the couple of times I have had a problem it has been detected and quarantined .I thought however that since it is up for renewal I should look at some others, and I wondered if there are any gurus here who could say if there is a significant difference between the top 10, and whether a suite would be better than the simply av program that I am using.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to say(and I hate doing this!!) but this M$ Security Essentials bizo has me impressed by it's lack of system crashing and all round invisibility.
    Whether it's missed any virii on my PC is a complete unknown to me, but it's free and it doesn't slow down or affect my PC in any way.

Used to run NOD for years .. many years and mainly because it was completely benign to any of my PC and others that I'd put together for others.
    But it was up[ for renewal a while back and I thought to try something else .. so at that stage(when I'd built this PC) I tried AVG's freebie for a while.
    Damn PC occasionally ran slow or had some stability issue somewhere along the line that used to bug me ... silly things like removable drives not showing up, or just some slowness or sluggishness for no reason.
    Removed AVG and installed M$'s Security Essentials and basically forgot about it for the next few months or more. Didn't even notice that at the time the PC never gave me any issues in any way.

Went back to AVG for a week or so(from v9.something to a new v10) as I somehow made it onto their mailing lists .. and the PC started to run slowly again. This was about a year ago now and within that week I remember giving AVG the boot, and almost purchasing a new subscription to NOD again .. but remembered that MS's AV hadn't caused me any issues, so installed this again instead.
    Been running it ever since without a care in the world, and I'm constantly installing and uninstalling software for trial and a lookysee and so on.

I suppose, even tho I spend 99.99% of my spare time on the net, I don't frequent pron sites and leet software purveyors, and as for those annoying emails from PayPal and all those banks that I've never had an account with .. well they don't even make it past the quick glance stage .... so I'm probably less likely to be swamped with virii anyhow.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for MS Security Essentials
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had a drama with AVG in the 4 years I have been using it. My brother uses it when he sets up new computers as a part of his business, and as far as i know, he hasn't had a drama either.
    Nikon D70s, Tamron 18 - 200mm kit lens, Tokina 80 - 400 ATX, Nikon Nikkor 50mm, SB-600, Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod, Gitzo Monopod, No-name tripod (dads old one that i stole for my flash)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like using avast antivirus, so far nothing has got past it. easy to install and it has a free version.
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    +1 for MS Security Essentials
    Likewise. Have been using it on one of our 4 computers for a year now and cannot fault it.

My own PCs anti-virus softare is about to expire and I am not impressed that the renewal subscription is twice the cost of buying a new installation from a retail store for the same so it gets the flick.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's some info in this thread.
    We tried Avast for a while, but it seemed to make our laptop overheat a bit. Change to $ecurity Essentials and it seems just fine.
    We try to practice safe web browsing and figured why pay for something that you can get for free?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to have AVG but now Avast. No problem with either. Not a fan on Norton though.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    I stopped the automatic renewal of my then current av program and for some reason, although it had a month to go it said I was out of date, so I uninstalled it.
    I then downloaded webroot security suite for a trial and found that it kept telling me to do something, and that irked me, so I got rid of that, and so I took the advice of others and have installed MS security essentials.
    Keeps fingers crossed that it all goes to plan.
    When you think of it it is in Microsoft's interests to keep viruses and tojans etc at bay so lets hope they keep trying very hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My security is up for renewal also, will have to give MS security ago also i think.
    Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My av is up and after reading this I will give MS security a go
    Konica Minolta 5D, 18-70, 75-300 kit lens
    Nikon D90, 18-55, 55-200 kit lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eset NOD32, perhaps the best there is, uses few resources, catches everything in the wild, no nagging and very robust and reliable. Used by many network professionals. The best part...often cheaper than many of the heavily marketed alternatives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eset NOD32 i have found is the way to go , best of all no obvious slowing of the computer and it just does its job.
    You can call me Jez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any issues with Trend av with either system stability, or slowness, but looking at the list, I might have to give MS or NOD a go as well based off the features listed in that review.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at McAfee and I use the free AVG....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony, So do I, And in conjunction with Malwarebytes and Spybot , Never had a problem
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * Eset NOD32 * For me.. Since its conception.. Most of the others are system resource suckers..

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran Eset (NOD) for years than switched to MS Security Essentials when it was launched (for free ). No problems at all, run it on 4 machines. It even runs fine on Windows 8.
    Last edited by Meumerke; 07-10-2011 at 3:01pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its amazing, when I had the "other" antivirus program installed the hard drive never stopped chattering. Now that I have M$ Security Essentials it is nice and peaceful most of the time.
    Coincidence?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Coincidence?
    Not really.

If you look at processes in Windows 8 you will see that MS SE runs very lightly.

Last edited by Meumerke; 07-10-2011 at 6:43pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast