User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Anti virus program is due for renewal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Kaspersky for years and never had a problem. At the moment my two laptops and netbook have Kaspersky Internet Security (2 year 3 computer license) installed and the desktop is running Kaspersky Pure 2010. Both programs update their databases and scan the hard-drives automatically using little processor power and are unobtrusive, even on the netbook. I've also found moving my license from one computer to another is a snack.
    Another aspect that deserves praise is Kasperky's helpdesk. I'm not sure how long I've been using this product but it must be more than a decade and, in this time, have only had to ring them regarding proceedure, not problems. Each time my call was answered immediately and the person I spoke to gave the impression they were experts, not someone reading from a process cue card.
    Every now and then I'm asked to recommend an antivirus program and, without hesitation, I suggest Kaspersky but, invariabley, this advice is ignored and the enquirer opts for something free off the internet. The next I hear about it is the person whinging about not having their computer for a couple weeks while the local computer shop removes the viruses, trojans and malware then charges three times the cost of Kaspersky for the service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to run Norton but damn thing slowed the computer so much I took it off. Then ran PC Internet Security and couldn't get that one off quick enough. Have since gone back to AVG but might look at MS SE now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread. I was running AVG but decided to swap to M$ security essentials. Agre it runs smoothly, doesn't slow down the machine. Installed on all 3 computers here and happy with it. So thanks for the suggestion/recommendation.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took th Ms solution myself when my CA subscription expired. I agree, very light on resource size and you expect that as MS are able to DEV into the bowls of their os. Never had an issue with MS and has detected and quarantined threads when using data from others pc's so that has to say something. Free and excellent, can't say the same their firewall thought.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped to MS today too after running Notorn for the last 3 years. I suppose time will tell if it's any good.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Took th Ms solution myself when my CA subscription expired. I agree, very light on resource size and you expect that as MS are able to DEV into the bowls of their os. Never had an issue with MS and has detected and quarantined threads when using data from others pc's so that has to say something. Free and excellent, can't say the same their firewall thought.
    That's why I use MS SE with the standalone version of Comodo Firewall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont like norton seems to slow every thing down I use AVG now and it seems to do the job OK
    A man that’s lived a quiet uneventful life dies peacefully in his sleep but a man that’s lived an exciting life goes to his grave shouting “man that was one hell of a fun journey”

Sony 550a vanguard 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head.Manfrotto monopod+342 Ball head',Tamron 28-200 XR [IF], Sigma 17-35 DG EX HSM,Sony 18-70 sam kit lens,Sony 70-300 kit lens,sony Dt 2.8/30 macro and Minolta 35-70 F4 macro plus sony cybershot 707

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    I work at McAfee and I use the free AVG....
    Company loyalty.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got rid of Bitdefender. Very annoying for the last couple of months wanting you to buy overpriced upgrades. Nasty thing about Bitdefender is that when the update subscription expires, it completely disables Bitdefender and leaves you unprotected unless you have already installed another product. Poor show.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BitDefender keep sending me emails. I have now added them to my spam filter.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some time has passed since this was last visited, but what do we do now?
    http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSE - Microsoft Security Essential + your Win firewall. Add to that the standalone MalwareBytes.

THAT'S if you do not subscribe to one from your ISP. I WOULD NOT subscribe to any other paid one, no matter what.

ALSO: SuperAntiVirus is free and can be installed on a USB stick for QUITE independent use, rather like Malware Bytes.

So, now what?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in this topic as I've been running Norton 360 for the last two years after a spoof attempt freaked me out. I have felt very safe with it. Lately though I have found my computer being very slow to start up. I spoke to the computer techs at work and they told me that Norton is notoriously heavy in its demands and could be the culprit. I am therefore going to try an alternate security system once my years payment is up. MS Security Essentials sounds great- do you find it tries to block certain games etc??

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    ...do you find it tries to block certain games etc??...
    Two answers I hope you find to be of some use:
    1. I do not have any games.
    2. I do not use MSE on MY computer, but I have installed it on two others that I monitor regularly and have had no such issues with.

I reckon you'd have to try it. DO load the other programs, though. I run them every so often.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-11-2013 at 10:26pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Avast (free version), have been for about 4 years. I ditched Norton because it was too resource-heavy, and they started taking features out of the firewall that I liked (ad blocking).

Avast has a pc and a mac version. (Macs DO get viruses.)

On my PC (win xp), I also use a free firewall that is effective, but no longer available standalone, ad aware ad blocking software (paid), "no script" in firefox and a free version of superantispyware. (Paranoid moi?). I avoid IE like the plague. However, this PC is old, and being archived.

On my mac, I use Avast, rely on the osx firewall and have "no script" in firefox. I try to avoid safari (too little control over what happens).

At work, we use Norton AV, together with some fancy web filtering and mail filtering server-based software. The system load from Norton is not too bad, but I have a very fast PC at work.

I think these keep my system clean, but for the real story you'd need to ask the NSA.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    MS Security Essentials sounds great- do you find it tries to block certain games etc??
    We dumped Norton after it let 4 scareware things scare us. I dislike huge multi-national companies, but use Security Essentials. It is light on resources and works. Why wouldn't it? MS wouldn't put up with the bad publicity if it didn't.
    It's free to download and try gabby.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
    I think these keep my system clean, but for the real story you'd need to ask the NSA.
    I think you just did. Bet they don't reply though.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a new Windows 8 Laptop a couple of months ago and it came with a free trial of Nortons so I thought I would see if it were any better than it use to be. I was reasonably impressed by how much it had approved but decided to not buy a subscription to Nortons and went to Security Essentials.

Nortons turns out to be little better than malware after expirary causing problems with internet and stopping my wireless printing to my laser printer. I had to download a removal tool from Nortons to clean up the mess it created and restore full functionality of internet site access and get my wireless printing back. Guys, this is not the way to go to win friends and encourage subscriptions.
    Last edited by peterb666; 04-11-2013 at 1:42pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Avast....have been for about 4 years and find it excellent. I started with the free version but now I subscribe.

I had Nortons and it did nothing but stuff everything up and make my computer run reaaaaaaallly slooooooooow.
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12