User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24 1.4L vs 35 1.4L

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NOTICE: This thread is now closed. I asked members to stop baiting each other and you kept at it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the technical stuff actually helps you to capture technically correct images, but if your preference is to have vertical and horizontal lines through peoples heads and necks then it is your prerogative to do so if you believe that is where photography is headed as an art form.
    Technically speaking tho, and in general it's incorrect to do!

In one post you say that you didn't realise that there are rules in photography, and while it's great fun to break them as often as we can, your responses in this thread clearly indicate that you are lacking in many aspects understanding of those rules.

To help you understand how this can work, for a bit of fun, lets call subject separation a rule of photography, and one that can be easily broken. It really doesn't matter how much separation there is, nor how much quality is in the rendering of the background or foreground relative to the subject, nor whether it's up to a specific level of acceptance by you and your colleagues... it's a simple question: is there any separation of the subject relative to the rest of the scene? It's a simple yes/no answer.

Separation is separation as already said, and isn't really open to interpretation, is the background blurred, or is it not?

You introduced bokeh as a variable or subset of separation, and interlinked them where the reality is that they are not linked in any way and can be mutually exclusive. That we generally confused the issue by assuming that blurred backgrounds and subject isolation appear to be linked is a common mistake to be made.
    You are correct tho, and I shouldn't have implied that you said that bokeh and separation are the same thing.
    The problem is tho, that you have repeatedly argued your point on the basis that the quality of the separation produced by the 24mm is not as good as the 35mm, nor up to your stratospheric standards, which leads the reader to believe that you are confusing the two terminologies and how they work within a photographic scene.

You can have a situation (if you wanted) where there is no subject isolation but good bokeh if you wanted too.

it's a good habit to proof read your posts before you hit the post button to get an overall

As to your opening line in your last reply, you say that you believe that the samples posted are poor examples of separation produced by the 24L ..... well then, show us your higher quality samples from the 24L to prove this point!

The two points I wanted to raise here have been answered perfectly:
    1. you have no idea on the meaning of many technical aspects of photography mean, where you live by them or not is not the question .. having a small understanding of them helps anyone to produce better photography by implication
    and
    2: I refuse to print(let alone capture) any images of people with lines through their heads and necks and call it photography .. it's obvious now where your astronomically high standards are really set.

FWIW: (to the OP)
    I would personally go for the 24, based on your final response.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12