Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  44
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ausphotography Competition Voting Guide for rating entries 1-10

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Ausphotography Competition Voting Guide for rating entries 1-10

Note: This information is now in the Library http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...g_entries_1-10

Voting Guideline Chart

With the pending trial of our new voting/judging/rating system for competition entries, I thought it might be of benefit to give people a bit of a guideline as to how to choose where an entry sits on the 1-10 rating system.

Remember that you are assessing the entries in THIS competition, against each other. Not comparing them to some unknown and better (or worse) standard that could be entered into another competition. Your goal as voter/judge is to order the entries from the one you think should win (10 points) down to those that just don’t meet the requirements for many combined reasons (1 point). You do not HAVE to vote any entry as a 10, neither do you have to vote any entry as a 1. But you should try and place each entry inside the range where you feel they best fit, based on your opinions and using this guide as a basis for where in the range to assign a vote rating!

Under the existing system you just gave an entry you thought worthy of a vote, exactly that, one vote. Using the new 1-10 ratings system you have to give each entry a rating. Rate each entry on its merits, in the competition. We suggest you spend a couple of minutes firstly just browsing the entries, then come back and start rating each one. By browsing first, you get a 'feel' for each entry and where it fits in, compared to the others. It also means you have probably chosen a few to rate highly. By browsing first, you don't give the second entry you see a 10, only to get to the 19th entry and think it is even better, and have to go back and re-rate your first 10 to a 9, so you can give this new entry a 10, etc.

Score Explanation
    10 Winning entry. Fits the theme (if any), is creative, well taken, exposed, processed. Is sharp where it needs to be, is composed well, good colours (levels of grey), is attention grabbing, tells a story, connects with the viewer in some way. This would be a 'gold' entry. You may only have one, or possibly two entries scored as a 10 in a competition, or possibly none at all.
    9 Good entry, fits all of the above but for one reason or another, doesn’t quite make it to the top of the pile. It would not have any glaring 'issues' and is likely to be a great photo in its own right, but it isn't quite as good as the entry you see as the stand out winner. It is however definitely worthy of a place for final consideration against the other high ranked entries you choose. This would be a 'silver' entry.
    8 Another well taken entry. Perhaps let down just slightly by some aspect. Maybe it's not quite sharp enough, or the composition could be just a little better. It is usually a good photo and worthy of a place in the finals. This would be a 'bronze' entry.
    7 This entry is not quite up to the standard of the top entries in the competition, but it has had a damn good go at trying to be. There may be some very minor issues for you, that cause you to not vote it higher, however it is still a very well presented entry.
    6 An entry that is 'getting there'. It attracts your attention for one reason or another, however it just doesn't have the wow factor for you. There are no huge issues with the technique, setting, or subject matter. It shows the photographer has a fairly good understanding of what they are doing but it just doesn't quite get there. If you were going to critique it, you would have a few suggestions that could have made it a much better photo.
    5 Middle of the range and has some merit. It is a good entry, with some values that make it worthy of being in this competition. This entry isn't up with the high quality entries above, it simply doesn't stand out. However it also is not a photo that has glaring issues that need resolving.
    4 This entry is probably well exposed, in focus, composed reasonably well or has a great subject, but it doesn't put them all together into one package as some aspects just are not quite up to par and it probably doesn't draw the viewer in, for some reason. It probably has a few aspects that you think could have been done better.
    3 A 'nice' entry a.k.a. a record shot. It may have a fault or two, but it isn't working for you for some reason. It probably doesn't have a range of glaring issues, however it really doesn't quite come up to standard as a competition entry.
    2 This entry is below-par, it isn’t truly bad, but it probably should not have been entered into a competition, and would have been better used as a forum critique thread asking what went wrong and how it could have been done better.
    1 This entry doesn’t fit the theme, you cannot see a connection to the theme (if any) at all, It has some major flaws. Maybe out of focus, blurred, over-sharpened., underexposed, overexposed. This photo really is the entry that doesn't come up to standard. This entry could do with some serious critique and advice to help the photographer improve.
    In most AusPhotography competitions you will be hard pressed to score an image less than 5 points.

Also note that sometimes you have to bypass this guide, cause an entry could be so emotionally impacting, but not necessarily 100% great as far as exposure etc goes, that it deserves to be ranked higher cause some aspect of the photo makes it a "WOW" shot. This is not likely to happen often (certainly not in every competition), but it can and does happen. Be prepared to consider this.
    Last edited by Kym; 22-10-2011 at 5:24pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Note this is a work in progress. Constructed by myself and the moderators. If members have suggestions to reword particular parts of the chart, to clarify a certain level, please feel free to offer your suggestions below. The mods and I will discuss and adjust the chart as appropriate.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, the photo club I was involved with used particular attributes. So all over was important to get the image noticed in the first place, then the photo attributes were broken down into specifics like sharpness, composition, treatment of colour such as white balance, colour control or toning etc, contrast and exposure so all the technical stuff was considered important as well as the impact of the shot. Your scale does not really give much of an idea of what makes a good image beyond personal aesthetic sense.

Some competitions go so far as to allocate points for these attributes such as above. Perhaps it might work better to give an image a rating for the image and not where you feel it belongs in the current selection order. So that top image you see first up can get a 10 and so can the 19th one you also feel is a 10. Ozimages uses a ranking system out of 5 which works well. No reason it couldn't be out of 10, an average would soon decide the winner.

To me a 10 should have impact, be sharp somewhere in the image, well composed, be well exposed, then with effects as appropriate.

Edited for Typo
    Last edited by Sobriquet; 24-09-2011 at 6:11pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say on the top of the pictures to score each of the 8 images ... under the photos, is to select your top 4...?? Mmm!
    It does seem to me that you do want the 8 pics scored, that is the whole point of changing, as I would have.
    Little harder for learners that don't know as much tech stuff, but if we see at the end of the comp what each photo score there is, that can be a way of learning and understanding also, which is great.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuoz View Post
    You say on the top of the pictures to score each of the 8 images ... under the photos, is to select your top 4...?? Mmm!
    It does seem to me that you do want the 8 pics scored, that is the whole point of changing, as I would have.
    Little harder for learners that don't know as much tech stuff, but if we see at the end of the comp what each photo score there is, that can be a way of learning and understanding also, which is great.
    Hi. Remember the current poll is a test and trial we (the mods and I) used to test the new software, we then made this available to members to see how it worked, It was not designed to be a serious test, or competition. Just give you a feel for how the new voting works. The top 4 still applies, cause even though you are ranking each and every entry, you are also still choosing the entries that you want to see in the final poll.

Yes under the new trial system you need to score every entry, but ultimately by doing this, we use the combined votes from all members to tally a top 4/5/6 for the final poll still. Only those entries that end up with the highest scores will go to the final poll (the same as in the past). The new voting system is trialling a way to give feedback to every entrant, not just those that got in the top 4/5/6 as in the past. We are not changing the polling process, ie a poll of all entries from Sunday to Wednesday, followed by a final poll of the top ranked entries, with the winner announced on the following Sunday evening.

So:

* Sunday evening a competition opens for entries and members can enter till the competition closes (for POTW this is the following Sunday night)

* The first voting round starts (called the top 4/5/6 poll generally. Members must give each and every entry a rank from 10 - 1, based on the overall quality and appeal of the entry (using the above as a guide if they are unsure how to do this). This round of voting concludes on the Wednesday night for POTW.

* Final poll starts on the Wednesday night (POTW), and only the top 4/5/6 ranked entries from the first voting round get to this poll, and again vote on the finalists.

* Sunday night, the voting closes and the winner is announced.

* At the same time, all the poll results are revealed, and rather than just see next to an entry 0 votes, or 1 vote, 2 votes etc, members get to see how they ranked out of 10 for their photo. So they may come last, but get a 6 out of 10, thus they can using the guide above, see this:

An entry that is 'getting there'. It attracts your attention for one reason or another, however it just doesn't have the wow factor for you. There are no huge issues with the technique, setting, or subject matter. It shows the photographer has a fairly good understanding of what they are doing but it just doesn't quite get there. If you were going to critique it, you would have a few suggestions that could have made it a much better photo.

This gives them a better understanding of how their entry performed, and what they may need to do to improve on this result in a future competition. We feel this is a much more positive voting method, than just getting 1 vote in a competition.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-09-2011 at 8:00am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
    Hmmm, the photo club I was involved with used particular attributes. So all over was important to get the image noticed in the first place, then the photo attributes were broken down into specifics like sharpness, composition, treatment of colour such as white balance, colour control or toning etc, contrast and exposure so all the technical stuff was considered important as well as the impact of the shot. Your scale does not really give much of an idea of what makes a good image beyond personal aesthetic sense.

Some competitions go so far as to allocate points for these attributes such as above. Perhaps it might work better to give an image a rating for the image and not where you feel it belongs in the current selection order. So that top image you see first up can get a 10 and so can the 19th one you also feel is a 10. Ozimages uses a ranking system out of 5 which works well. No reason it couldn't be out of 10, an average would soon decide the winner.

To me a 10 should have impact, be sharp somewhere in the image, well composed, be well exposed, then with effects as appropriate.

Edited for Typo
    As we have said, you can give more than one entry a 10, or any other ranking, it is up to you. Also the details above state that the 10 ranked entries should be : Fits the theme (if any), is creative, well taken, exposed, processed. Is sharp where it needs to be, is composed well, good colours (levels of grey), is attention grabbing, tells a story, connects with the viewer in some way. Which fits with what you have said above "To me a 10 should have impact, be sharp somewhere in the image, well composed, be well exposed, then with effects as appropriate".

I am unsure what you are trying to say here, cause you seem to be matching in with what we have said.

The idea of making the winning entry a 9 or a 10, is that it should fit the above guide, to be highly rated, and thus your choice as winner. Rating in this way tries to ensure all members are ranking in a similar way. If people are all ranking using different scales, then we get a problem. If half the voters only rate their highest entry as a 5, then there is a chance that even though it got heaps of fives, it would not be in the finals, cause others rated their highest entry a 10. It is about setting a benchmark way to vote, that tries to bring some consistency from all voters, and ensure a more accurate result, reflecting what entries members wanted to see in the finals and ultimately the winner.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-09-2011 at 7:40am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Rick
    I like the idea to somehow giving feedback to all entrants.
    Perhaps when giving the results you could give the range (max and min, say 5-6, or 5-10) rather than the average. Sometimes this is very useful to see if everybody sees it the same, or whether there is a wide range of opinion. I think the range can provide more information.
    Also, if you can see the range of all the photos (not just your own), this also gives you some learning information.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luepit View Post
    Dear Rick
    I like the idea to somehow giving feedback to all entrants.
    Perhaps when giving the results you could give the range (max and min, say 5-6, or 5-10) rather than the average. Sometimes this is very useful to see if everybody sees it the same, or whether there is a wide range of opinion. I think the range can provide more information.
    Also, if you can see the range of all the photos (not just your own), this also gives you some learning information.
    We have discussed this, and it may be implemented down the track, for now we want to trial the concept and get member feedback, over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-09-2011 at 9:07am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    We have discussed this, and it may be implemented down the track, for now we want to trial the concept and get member feedback, over the next few weeks.
    Slave driver

regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a beginner with making any comment about other people's work I find this a way that I can put my foot in the water and have a go. I really want to develop my skills in this area as a way to develop my own photos. I am going to give it a real go. Thank you

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne Sh View Post
    As a beginner with making any comment about other people's work I find this a way that I can put my foot in the water and have a go. I really want to develop my skills in this area as a way to develop my own photos. I am going to give it a real go. Thank you
    to get comments (critique) on your photos, you need to put them in the members photos forums and you will get advice and guidance. If after a competition is over (and results announced) you want feedback on your competition entry, above the 6/10 style rating, again, put them in the members photos forums for critique.

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so im a bit lost are we suppose to give every photo a score or just the four we think we should
    Last edited by Sammi; 25-09-2011 at 9:35pm.
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Ok so im a bit lost are we suppose to give every photo a score or just the four we think we should
    every photo! each and every photo must be ranked. The whole idea of this new system is to give better feedback to ALL entrants, not just those that are the finalists/winners.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    every photo! each and every photo must be ranked. The whole idea of this new system is to give better feedback to ALL entrants, not just those that are the finalists/winners.
    The system enforces the scoring of each entry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

Another idea could be if we can rank all photos. This pushes us to give a place to each photo.

If there are 15 photos then we assign the place 1st to 15th.

But I recon the system 1 - 10 is also a good option.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000;Nikkor 18-105mm; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Tamron 70-300mm A17; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP 2.6 ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/ & http://500px.com/ArguelloFloresCollection

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Arguello View Post
    Hi:

Another idea could be if we can rank all photos. This pushes us to give a place to each photo.

If there are 15 photos then we assign the place 1st to 15th.

But I recon the system 1 - 10 is also a good option.
    What we have started is a system similar to photographic clubs where each entry gets rated, based on its quality. Ranking them 1st to 15th still doesnt give the person who came 15th anything to go on, other than that they came last. With the ranked system, if someone gets a 3/10 they can use the guide above to see how to go about getting a better shot, or understanding why it was ranked a 3. We feel the ranking system gives more feedback cause of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh!! I just saw this and I like it! I often find it a challenge to pick four etc. of my favourites and I think this way I will be able MORE feedback for those that were pipped at the post. I half expect my photos will be 1s and 2s LOL, but I'll keep plugging away until they become 3s and 4s, 5s and 6s and maybe even eventually 7s and 8s. I haven't read all the posts about this yet (I'm running late for something) but I'll be back to read everyone else's thoughts. Definitely liking this idea though!
    Better known as Erin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work on trialling this system. I hope it works because it will be a more useful guide to how photos have been scored. And users can even dare to compare their scores across a range of competitions. It may also highlight which themes were proven to be more difficult than others.

I can just imagine someone who doesn't win one week with a 9/10 lamenting that they should have entered the week before where the winner only scored 8.
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My big one is the ones that are good shots but don't fit the theme - they are hard to mark.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    My big one is the ones that are good shots but don't fit the theme - they are hard to mark.
    I mark them low Odille. Usually I will have another entry that I score around the 3 or 4 points position, If an entry doesn't fit the theme at all, it gets the same mark from me, if the only issue is that it doesn't meet the theme. If it has other reasons to get a low mark, it generally gets scored at the bottom of the pack
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-10-2011 at 6:17am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast