Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Lens & Filters Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens & Filters Help

Hi Ausphotographians,

I currently own a Canon 60D - 28-135mm EF Lens, along with my newly purchased Benro A-2691 tripod and Vello Wireless remote. But am now looking at filters - after searcing the internet I've not seen many reviews on filters and what is good and bad. I'm still a novice but now know that I need some filters (Polarise) for outdoor shooting. So this is what I know - I need a circular filter so that the autofocus can work and that there are some big price differences between one and the other (I've been buying from B&H). So I'm looking for some advice from those that have tired and are happy with what they are using - any negative or positive attritubes would be greatly appreicated.
    The lens is a 72mm but I'm also looking at two lens as well.
    Canon EF 100-400
    Sigma 150-500 DG

The filters I'm looking at next month - the Lens - well - maybe a christmas present to myself :-)
    the government that governs best governs least

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll deal with your query in reverse and recommend the Canon 100-400L. It is a great lens and I used it extensively when I had my Canon equipment.

Now, the filters. You do not have to have filters, if you are using the camera to its full potential in manual and bracketing your shots you might never use a filter. I have a circular polariser and hardly ever use it. However, they are nice to have.

I'd recommend the Cokin type filters (genuine or cheaper 'knock off on eBay etc), or, if you have a BIG budget the Lee system. I have both, and you can get a circular polariser that slots into the Cokin holders (this is what I have). To start with a set of Neutral Density (.3, .6 and .9 strength (+ to 1, 2 3 stops) and a set of graduated NDs, same strengths. I like the soft gradation (fuzzy at halfway) but some people prefer the hard one. Personal choice. You can buy all sorts of colours, strengths and fancy purpose filters once you have your lens rings and filter holders.

I have a grad fog filter, a starburst one, a grad tobacco (browny, useful for putting colour in sunrise/sunset skies), a grad blue (ditto useful for skies/cooling effect) and a few other odds and sods picked up on my travels.
    Last edited by Analog6; 21-09-2011 at 7:05am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any of the Brand Name filter companies (Lee, Cokin etc) will serve you well, just don't bother with the really cheap ones off e-bay etc
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also suggest you download the excellent Lee System brochure, it's not only a guide to their filters but also an exccfellent booklet on what to use when.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys - looks like the LEE system has a great book as well on their filters - maybe I'll get this first and have a good read. But with Autumn here in the US - would be great to get some rich Autumn leaves - the reds, browns and yellows look fantastic and if I can use the right filter hopefully will make it really pop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Singh-Ray filters.
    They make soome great coloured filters which are specially designed to bring out those rich autumn (fall) tones and they also make the best of the adjustable, screw-in ND filters.
    They make both screw-on and Lee-type filters.
    Not cheap, but very good quality.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a value for money purchase, I would use a 72mm HOYA SUPER-HMC Circular Polarizing Filter for the EF28 to 135 lens, being used on a 60D, for the shooting purposes you describe.
    I would also use the Canon lens hood, for that lens.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lens hood is a great idea too, but if you're buying from B&H, buy the Pearstone equivalent.
    Half the price of the Canon version, and at least as good quality.
    I have a couple of them, and they are excellent value.