0 Thread(s)

NEW.... from NIKON

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://mynikonlife.com.au/gear/nikon-1

New Nikon One.....looks pretty cool....can't see my 70-200 2.8 on it though, even with the adapter!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    say it ving... go on!

no... its too guttery...

go on!!!

oh, ok!

http://iamcomings.com/ <---need a tissue?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that!

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nikon-1 system sounds sound...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    nikon-1 system sounds sound...
    Dunno about the sound ( speakers are off ) but the image samples don't look too shabby.

Pity about the projected retail price though, seems about $200.00 to $250.00 too exxy in the current market.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else find the picture of the Nikon 1 V1 with the 24-70 F2.8 attached using the adapter to look more than a little silly?
    Seems an interesting system, but I would hope Nikon would be focussing on getting past the 1 DSLR and 2 lenses released this year....its a little light on, and from the looks of it this isn't that ground breaking.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 21-09-2011 at 5:22pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do look a little out of place with big lenses but I guess their marketing gurus see a need for this camera ---

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..I can't help be nervous about the sensor size choice but I guess I'll need to inspect the sample images properly when I'm at home and not on an iPhone.

It seems m43 has a larger sensor but equally small pancakes.
    Where there might be an advantage if low iso images are good is with the f-mount adapter, a 70-200 would be a 190-540/2.8. So if images up to iso 800 are good it might make a good small wildlife kit assuming AF still works well.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, awesome, I've been hanging out for this! When I work out what the difference (apart from viewfinder) is between the J1 and the V1 I'll add it to my Christmas list. One of those + 10mm prime + F-mount adapter and I'd be happy. With the prime it'd be a great P&S, small and light to save me carrying my D700 to parties and the like.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.. phew! ISO 100 definitely's more DSLR like than P&S like. I'm not seeing any of the 'watercolour-like' effect I see in pretty much every P&S-sized sensor camera I've looked at.
    ISO 400 seems aceptable. I think for me this camera might top out at ISO800.

Hmmm.. For a Nikon shooter like myself, things just got interesting. And I was so sure I'd go m43 for my small camera needs.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.. may have spoken too soon.
    http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/engadg...le_image_1.jpg
    Not sure of the firmware but in this shot its more P&S territory for ISO100.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Hmm..I can't help be nervous about the sensor size choice .....
    Note the 10-100mm lens in the lens lineup! This is the vital clue as to why they've chosen a smaller sensor.
    It's a lot easier to manufacture a lens like this for a smaller sensor and keep it compact, than it is to produce one for a larger .. even APS-C sized, sensor.
    If this were an easy task (for a low price point) then it's have been done already.
    The idea is that it keep the entire system more compact AND allows a certain amount of marketing guff ... oops!.. I mean leverage when it's time to sell it against the competitors.

I can't see it catching on too much to be honest. This market seems to be fashion conscious driven. The gaudy colour options are the give away there. The camera itself has no style. It doesn't have the retro stylish 50's - 60's look of the PEN and X100 style cameras. No alligator skins, no silk covered knobs and buttons, no ruby/sapphire/opal inserts and embellishments to speak of... all amounts to lower sales than the competitors systems. It'll probably end up becoming the highest volume Nikon camera, but Nikon have traditionally floundered in the compact market(when compared to the DSLR market) anyhow!

Now with these silly paperweights out of the way .. they'll finally release their real cameras in time for the Christmas rush!

Historically Nikon's 'MO' (marketing operandi ) is to release a swag of compacts .. then a few days later updates of some of it's software .. c'mon!!! where's CNX3!!?? ..... and then a DSLR or two.. maybe a lens or three too(if that makes sense).

Lenses will of course be along the lines of a 45mm f/2.8 Dx, or a 175mm f/3.5 Micro Dx, and possibly a 13-33mm f/2.8 Dx too and any obscure lens type that plugs the obvious holes in their lineup

Sometimes they can(or have been known too) announce the DSLR range prior to the compacts being released, but this doesn't work so well for the marketing department! The sad fact is that if they do it this way, there is very little to no internet chatter about the compacts, as all attention is paid to the DSLR announcements. DSLR internet chatter tends to last a lot longer than it will for compact camera internet ramblings.. so they may as well milk the internet gossip for as long as they can(generally up to a week or so) before they set the multitudes of fora alight with the D400. D800 announcement is optional depending on how many lenses they give birth too!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Note the 10-100mm lens in the lens lineup! This is the vital clue as to why they've chosen a smaller sensor.
    It's a lot easier to manufacture a lens like this for a smaller sensor and keep it compact, than it is to produce one for a larger .. even APS-C sized, sensor.
    If this were an easy task (for a low price point) then it's have been done already.
    The idea is that it keep the entire system more compact AND allows a certain amount of marketing guff ... oops!.. I mean leverage when it's time to sell it against the competitors.
    The 10-100 looks pretty massive next to the body. Of course I'll need to see it in real life but I can't see how it would be much smaller than a D3100 with an 18-200/250/270 superzoom.

There are definitely some interesting things about the spec, and the 2.7X crop sensor will have both advantages and disadvantages.
    But at least from the initial announcement, I'm not seeing them counteract one of the perceived weakness (smaller sensor than other mirrorless), with the theoretical smaller lens advantage. If the lenses were closer to Pentax Q sized but with a 2.7X crop sensor instead of 5.7X then we're talking.

With m43, Panasonic's doing great things with their new collapsible X kit lens, with more promised. Nikon should be concentrating more on these as well as great pancakes such as the Pentax SMC DA 40mm f2.8.
    Perhaps it will come later cos the initial offering is aimed more at the upgrading P&S crowd IMO. I guess there's more volume there and they probably want to gain more traction with the initial offering.

But then there's the price and from that POV I think its more for the enthusiast DSLR buyer looking for a compact system. In this regard (and where I'm coming from), its a wait and see game.

Ultimately for me at least, it comes down to acceptable IQ at lower ISO's. I just saw an ISO 800 shot.. not impressed but to be expected I guess. Have to see more real world shots at various ISO.

Still digesting all the info and looking for more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by WhoDo; 22-09-2011 at 1:21pm. Reason: Converted to URL - can't post images not own IP
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren, did you happen to check the exif of that file?

Apparently taken with a Panasonic DMC-GH2, that probably indicates that it is from within Nikon's marketing dept.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small sensors, odd feature sets and controls and slow/large lenses. The appeal is obviously to the consumer market rather than someone that wants and advanced compact system camera.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Small sensors, odd feature sets and controls and slow/large lenses. The appeal is obviously to the consumer market rather than someone that wants and advanced compact system camera.
    Just talking to a salesman at my local camera store, he mentioned a number of reasons why he thinks it will sell brilliantly. I'm tending to agree with him.

EDIT:

What's the go with iamcomings.com? It plays a horribly compressed video then just leaves it as a black screen?
    Last edited by BLWNHR; 22-09-2011 at 2:15pm.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    and thats why they will sell like hotcakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 849 and 649 a pop? Fairly steep one would think for whats being offered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast