User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: I am lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am lost.

Recently - relatively speaking - I posted a thread about my password.

On this computer it logs me in automatically. Others used to but their cookies - or something - have been deleted.
    When I log in with them and enter my password, it says it is wrong.

Today I finally got time to log in on this computer and went to the password section.
    I see the old password's length represented with dots. I count them and it is the same length as what I "think" it is/should be.

These sites with their password "requirements" are annoying as they want certain things - which are semi-understandable - but when I put in my password and they say it is TOO LONG it really annoys me, so I make up "generic" ones.

That is what I did here. But, as I said, it is weird that THIS machine works, but others - which (afaik) have the same password in their browser's - can't. Even if I try to enter it manually.

Anyway, that aside....

I was trying to find my posts, but can't remember where they are. I tried the "notifications" but was shown more my private messages than NOTIFICATIONS.

Where/how do I get to see my posts? It has been a long time since I have been here as I have been busy. And as much fun as that can be, it is annoying when it stops you doing things you like.

I am also reluctant to post a new question about videos taken on cameras and "down converting" them. My past efforts have been moved to other areas and I spend more time chasing the posts than learning from the replies.

Help.
    +===========================================+
    Canon EOS 550D 18-135 (IS) lens 90-300 lens
    +===========================================+

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a permanent marker and write your password on the wall next to the PC, guaranteed that you will remember it that way.

As for "finding" your past posts (which aren't actually lost), all you have to do is to scroll to the top of this page and right under the word "Home" there is a clickable drop down menu called "AP Extras" and once you have clicked that you will see a choice of "my posts" or "my threads".
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure Rick or Kym could help you out with a password reset also, so that you can chose a less problematic one.

As for threads being moved, if posted in the correct are in the first instance they won't need to be moved.
    Last edited by MarkChap; 18-09-2011 at 7:28am.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at the AP extra's menu to find your threads, posts etc.

Untitled-1.jpg

Things get moved cause they are posted in the wrong areas of the site, we don't just move things for the fun of it.

Re your password. Firstly 'these site with their password requirements'. Sorry and with respect, the issue is you not remembering your password, not the site wanting it. When you last asked about this very same issue, we suggested you change your Ausphotography Password, using your settings menu, on either computer, then go to the other one and use your new password on it, and perhaps keep a record of your password somewhere as well, so you can access it, in need.
    Untitled-2.jpg
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-09-2011 at 7:34am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rik,

Yeah that is where I went.

Counted the dots and they match (number wise anyway) with what I have written down as the password.
    So, if I enter it on another computer, I am told it is the wrong password.

Can I "Change it" to what it (possibily) already is?

I was going to post on that thread but couldn't "find it". The brain isn't remembering things like it should/used to.
    Last edited by Mr Felix; 18-09-2011 at 7:40am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Felix View Post
    Counted the dots and they match (number wise anyway) with what I have written down as the password.
    So, if I enter it on another computer, I am told it is the wrong password.

Can I "Change it" to what it (possibily) already is?
    The number of "dots" doesn't change whatever the password size. It is generic. The actual password could be longer or shorter. That is deliberate so hackers don't have any idea of the length of password they're trying to hack. I hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if my password is (say) 5 character long, I can see an arbitrary number of dots?

Hmmm.....

I THOUGHT (and I have been told even here) that that is not a good thing, that when I am entering the password each time I press a key a dot appears on the screen to help co-ordinate my typing and what I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if my password is (say) 5 character long, I can see an arbitrary number of dots?

Hmmm.....

I THOUGHT (and I have been told even here) that that is not a good thing, that when I am entering the password each time I press a key a dot appears on the screen to help co-ordinate my typing and what I see.
    When you enter the password the number of dots DOES correspond to the number of keys pressed. However, when you are logging in, the number of dots only represents how many keys, not which ones, and when you look at a saved password that automatically appears when you enter your login ID, the number of dots DOES NOT correspond to the number of letters in your password that was saved. I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm.....

On some sites, yes, each dot equals a letter, number or character. On sites with good security, the number of dots do not mean anything. Yes you can change it to what you thought it was (cause it obviously isn't that at present) so you would be changing your password. When you change your password, you will need access to your email, as you need to verify the change in an email that is sent to you. The site will not let you post, until you verify the password change.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when I am looking at my "change password" screen and I "see" the old password, the number of dots is arbitrary.

Teriffic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So when I am looking at my "change password" screen and I "see" the old password, the number of dots is arbitrary.

Teriffic.
    If you are having trouble, send me a PM and I can assist you with this. NOTE, I cannot see your password, as it is encrypted within the database, but I can help you create a new one, without knowing the old one.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, update:

I am using FF - latest version AFAIK.

I open a PRIVATE BROWSING window and went/came to Aus photography.

Obviously I wasn't logged in.

I typed in my user name and the browser automatically put in my password. I changed it to something else so it would reject me.

Then I got a better screen where I can see what is going on.

I again put in my user name and the browser auto-completed the password.

I counted the dots. Remember these are dots which appear as keys are pressed. 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Got the right number.

Deleted them, and typed in my password - same number of keys. It worked.

Therefore: Why is it when I am on another computer and enter the same password does it tell me the user name/password is wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therefore: Why is it when I am on another computer and enter the same password does it tell me the user name/password is wrong?
    Assuming the other computer is also running FF, a typo OR a faulty keyboard maybe?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On this other machine, clear your cookies (in your browser menu) and try again, You could have a corrupt cookie on that machine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your password is in braille then the number of dots might help reading.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated