Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum handheld shutter speed argument

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    1" group @ 100 meters (L1A1 SLR in the 70's)
    lol, were you coughing???

I remember those days. Then they brought in 'the rifle' L85A1 (SA80)....man, no recoil at all. It was like moving from a Nikon to a Canon...everything got better!!! <dons steel helmet and flak jacket>
    Last edited by fess67; 16-09-2011 at 11:26pm.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is simple isn't it ? The shutter speed is right when the image isn't blurry !!
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    lol, were you coughing???

I remember those days. Then they brought in 'the rifle' L85A1 (SA80)....man, no recoil at all. It was like moving from a Nikon to a Canon...everything got better!!! <dons steel helmet and flak jacket>
    Australia never used the SA80, I think you meant the F88 Aus-Steyr rifles - more accurate but lacked the killer punching power of the old SLRs - which used to strike fear into North Vietnamese and VC troops in VN for its ability to punch through vegetation and cover unlike the M16s the Americans had back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It varies every time. I have hand held the H2 & 55-110 (all 3. something kgs of it) at 1/30th - but it was not a windy day, I was fresh not tired and the light was good. Other days I've had problems at 1/320! As was said, test yourself and your lens and don't push the boundaries if the photo is a special/unrepeatable. And even if you do not have a tripod with you, there is often a rock/pole/sign/fencepost etc to steady yourself or the camera against.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP's original question was does this rule of thumb change because you are using a zoom lens. The answer is no, if you are shooting at 50mm with a prime or a zoom set to 50mm they are still both 50mm. As said it is only a rule of thumb and many variables come into the equation, the main one being the user some are unable to handhold anywhere near the rule of thumb level while others such as experienced shooters can handhold at much slower speeds. My best shooting was a 10 shot 3/8" group at 100 yards using a self built 222 rimmed on a single shot Martini Cadet Action with a 24" x 1" dia. heavy barrel. As with a rifle I find the heavier the weight of the camera the easier it is to hand hold.
    Keith.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joking aside, the ability to effectively use a firearm and take photo's hand held have a lot in common.
    I.e. stance, brace, aim, breathing and trigger technique.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Australia never used the SA80, I think you meant the F88 Aus-Steyr rifles - more accurate but lacked the killer punching power of the old SLRs - which used to strike fear into North Vietnamese and VC troops in VN for its ability to punch through vegetation and cover unlike the M16s the Americans had back then.
    Yeah sorry I was born and raised a Pomme so went from SLR to SA80, but have seen the light and am now a proud Aussie citizen
    Last edited by fess67; 17-09-2011 at 1:56pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the various answers.

Robert
    4WD Exposure - capture the image!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12