Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum handheld shutter speed argument

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimum handheld shutter speed argument

Now we all know (or I hope we all know) that the general rule of minimum shutter speed to avoid blurring a shot with camera shake is generally held to be 1 over the lens focal length - ie 200mm lens it has to be a minimum of 1/200th of a second.

Now a friend of mine swears black and blue that for a zoom lens, let's say 50mm - 200mm for the sake of the argument, it is the "maximum" focal length you use - ie 200mm or 1/200th of a second in this case.

My argument is that if the lens is set to say 50mm it is 1/50th of a second.

forgetting overly technical "what ifs" such as a heavy zoom lens is harder to hold still than a prime lens, but some of the cheaper zooms are not overly weighty and some professional limited zoom lenses (say 16mm - 35mm) can weigh as much as cheaper long zooms. My argument is that it comes down to the image size on the sensor which will be the same on a 50mm prime lens as for a zoom set to 50mm. Put another way the image of something with a 200mm lens will be as equally blurred by shake as the same image at 50mm - but because the image is so much smaller it will be appear sharper.

Adjudication please.

Robert Norman
    4WD Exposure - capture the image!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find that if you actually want maximum possible sharpness then you will have to ignore the '1/focal length' rule altogether and test YOURSELF, your camera, and your technique to see what you are capable of. It's a rough guide at best.

I need to shoot a 50mm lens at about 1/250th to get the mazimum sharpness out of it, not just an acceptable image. At the same time, I've shot heaps of sharp images with 50mm 'ish' lenses at up to 1/2 sec where I've been able to shoot lots of frames (on continuous) and delete all the crap one's, which you can do with digital anyway.

But to answer your question the main issue is the angle of view and the way this magnifies or minimises camer/lens movement.

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 15-09-2011 at 1:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test myself all the time with slow shutter speeds, Cause I'm too slack to carry a tripod I usually can shoot 1/15th all the time , But last Saturday I got this With the 24-105 f4 L , IS On @45mm, ISO320, 1 sec exposure @f4 , Hand held ( I swear) No filters

"Had a Ball-Sunrise" by sunrisechaser, on Flickr
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW 1/focal length * crop factor is the guide, as jj said it's really about the angle of view and that does not allow for subject movement.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    ... and that does not allow for subject movement.
    Which is why IS is often unusable. Even if you can get a sharp image at a couple of stops less than without IS, it aint gonna stop your subject moving.

JJ

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is like everything....its a good place to start! There are soooooo many variables....It cannot be a hard and fast rule, but when you need somewhere to start....start here!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to be blunt but these formulas are crap. a load of cods...

at 500mm with OS on i still get a sharp image at 1/60th. how does that fit the formula? its an individual thing... people say that you'd have to be crazy to shoot macro 1:1 hand held and that a tripod is a must... i shoot all macro hand held.

if you are steady then you can shoot lower, simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with Ving. Those shutter equations cannot be applied generally to everyone, as we all have different levels of hand holding skills.

I go by the belief that if you are very good at shooting weapons, you will be very good at low shutter speed shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote JM : I go by the belief that if you are very good at shooting weapons

Funny you should say that

I had plenty of practice in my younger days using Telescopic Sights as well , All you do is get the right stance , Tuck your arms in for brace , Hold your breath , Easy
    Last edited by William; 15-09-2011 at 4:15pm.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Quote JM : I go by the belief that if you are very good at shooting weapons

Funny you should say that

I had plenty of practice in my younger days using Telescopic Sites as well , All you do is get the right stance , Tuck your arms in for brace , Hold your breath , Easy
    hello from the guy on the grassy knoll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought there were 2 shooters!? haha

Ive seen some terrible hand holding techniques, most popular one is where the left arm is not supporting the camera and lens from below, but held out to the side with the left hand to turn the zoom lens. Or the one where both elbows are not tucked in tight but away from the body like using a compact camera etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the inverse focal length "rule" is a guideline for those NTP, as a simple mental check thing
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post

at 500mm with OS on i still get a sharp image at 1/60th. how does that fit the formula? its an individual thing... people say that you'd have to be crazy to shoot macro 1:1 hand held and that a tripod is a must... i shoot all macro hand held.

yes with image stabiliser. if you had 3 stop IS then 1/500s becomes 1/60s.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdexposure View Post
    forgetting overly technical "what ifs" such as a heavy zoom lens is harder to hold still than a prime lens, but some of the cheaper zooms are not overly weighty and some professional limited zoom lenses (say 16mm - 35mm) can weigh as much as cheaper long zooms.
    Heavy lenses are less prone to camera shake becuase f=ma of course if you are going to collapse under the weight of certain lenses after a few hours use then this becomes meaningless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot take a shot looking at the Screen, I have to look through the viewfinder , On a long hand held exposure , The correct way to hold the camera and breathing is important , But I'm buggered if I can hold a P&S at arms lenght and take a shot

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how many coffees I've had.

But yes, the rule is the longer the focal length the higher the shutter speed required. What that limit is varies for each individual and the particular lens involved.

Ask your friend to shoot with a superzoom eg 18-200. Set it to 18mm and find the lowest shutter speed he/she can get a sharp image. Let's say it's 1/15th second. Now try it at 200mm and see what happens.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I never shoot macro hand held. You simply cannot get it as sharp as I require hand held.
    But - I do agree that all those things depend on how steady you are. I've shot at 600mm with IS at 1/20 sec and it was dead sharp (and I'm picky).

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1" group @ 100 meters (L1A1 SLR in the 70's)
    Last edited by Kym; 16-09-2011 at 9:45pm.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how many beers consumed.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inspired LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast