User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MX5 Mazda Roadstar worth buying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I'm a car lover, but it's a stereotypical view of the mx5 as being an effeminate sportscar, IMO.

Is it fair ? No, course not, doesnt mean it's not true though does it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...dressers%20car

Most cars have a stereotype associated with it

Eg, who drives a falcon xr8 ..... A Kia carnival......a rolls ?.....a Mazda 3 ?
    Car lover != Car enthusiast? I've got friends who loves cars but are not car enthusiasts as they don't do what real car enthusiasts do. Drive hard.

Pretty much most of my friends who are car enthusiasts do not have that mindset. These are guys who have owned cars with no less than 300HP and everyone has a lot of respect for the MX-5 as it is quite a hard car to keep up round the corners on the track or ghymkana. Maybe if you did more trackwork, it'll change your opnion. I don't have any stereotypes for vehicles other than falcons being taxis :P. Sure if you see someone driving an expensive car he/she is rich. That is to be expected and not stereotypical.

I see much more girls/ladies driving xr8s. Is it a girls car now? :P

Oh yes, quoting urban dictionary has as much credential as "my friend who's cousin's friend's boyfriend's brother said" I can add an entry in there "Track-phenomenal car- ie. MX-5, Lotus Exige S, Ariel Atom" and it'll stay in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not talking about your mindset, or mine, Im talking about a general stereotype that urban dictionary, jeremy clarkson, and the guy on the bus all probably have.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    my wife (God bless her) is always hassling me to get into the left lane at lights and drag people off.
    My wife is completely different! She always asks me to slow down and let people through. Oh wells!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going on a bit here is a nice review by Topgear on the Gay Butch Hairdresser's car
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8ArZ3o8qE

Pine
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was stopped at a set fo lights once, when some young guys came to wait for the pedestrian lights on the corner.
    They were checking out the car and one fo them shouted at me "Nice chicks car you have" while he and his friends were laughing at me.

I said "Yeah, it is. Do you know how many chicks I pick up in this car?" then I laid 2 nice black lines on the road with plenty of tyre smoke.

Mind you, one day my wife and I were driving in my Mercedes with the windows down when a young punk pedestrian gave me a dirty look and shouted out "Rich Prick!"
    I looked at him and said "Well, it's a lot better than being a beligerant, no-hoper like you" and drove off.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Nice chicks car you have"
    They must have been right Benny, this video sums it up.

Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the nice chicks?
    VBH is far too masculine for me, an the other one seems a bit on the dumb side.
    VBH didn't do the top up properly either, so she isn't a brain surgeon.

Mind you, she can't be that dumb, she likes the 5's.

Have a drive of one one day.
    You can rent one fairly cheaply, and have a look at your face a half an hour after driving it.

You'll still be smiling.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....... MGB Roadster does it for me

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was stopped at a set fo lights once, when some young guys came to wait for the pedestrian lights on the corner.
    They were checking out the car and one fo them shouted at me "Nice chicks car you have" while he and his friends were laughing at me.

I said "Yeah, it is. Do you know how many chicks I pick up in this car?" then I laid 2 nice black lines on the road with plenty of tyre smoke.

Mind you, one day my wife and I were driving in my Mercedes with the windows down when a young punk pedestrian gave me a dirty look and shouted out "Rich Prick!"
    I looked at him and said "Well, it's a lot better than being a beligerant, no-hoper like you" and drove off.
    Sticks and stones can hurt me but I still like the MX5.

Liked your comments.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 21-09-2011 at 4:46pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I'm surprised as well! I'm 1.75m/5.7" and about 80+kgs. So i'm not that big nor tall. But i feel a little cramped in the mx-5 and have hit my head on the roof on one occasion going over a speed bump too quickly (didn't see it).

Boot is definitely big for a car size that small. If i recall i could fit 2 maximum sized cabin legal carry on suitcases with plenty of room to spare for other stuff here and there! I was amazed at how big the boot is. The porsche boxter has a smaller boot than a slk ... if you think the slk is bad! LoL.
    Hi Keefy and Mongo
    Maybe we taller guys are used to space in a car being a bit small.

Had another look at a 2006 MX5 and yes its a bit tight but I can live in it.

With the hood closed it is a bit small but not much worse tha a Boxster or SLK

I am once more convinced that I will love the car.

Don't I just look good in the MX5!

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pine; 22-09-2011 at 12:30am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had three NB models, and one NC. Headroom was just adequate (188cm tall). The NB has a cam belt that needs replacement every 100k, the NC is chain driven and demands less maintenance. The power retractable hard top is horrible IMHO, reduces headroom, adds 37.5 kg of weight to a car where the engineers worked to shave 20g off the rear view mirror stem! We drove our NC for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Just stay clear of club politics!
    "The camera always points both ways. In expressing the subject, you also express yourself"
    Freeman Patterson

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Im not talking about your mindset, or mine, Im talking about a general stereotype that urban dictionary, jeremy clarkson, and the guy on the bus all probably have.
    look kiwi is just stating the facts.... stereotypes exist even if you try to deny them... the mx5 is a great car and whos to say the a hairdressers car cant be fun to drive, have a bit of power and handles corners well! these types of cars also scream another stereotype, MLC.

at the end of the day we ignore these stereotypes and get on with what we enjoy.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjay View Post
    I've had three NB models, and one NC. Headroom was just adequate (188cm tall). The NB has a cam belt that needs replacement every 100k, the NC is chain driven and demands less maintenance. The power retractable hard top is horrible IMHO, reduces headroom, adds 37.5 kg of weight to a car where the engineers worked to shave 20g off the rear view mirror stem! We drove our NC for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Just stay clear of club politics!
    Hi
    Thats interesting at 1.905 we are about the same height.
    The 2006 just had enough clearance between my head and the soft top so
    it seems I should steer clear of the hard top.

What did you buy after the NC?

Politics are everywhere even in a church its human nature unfortunately.
    Its really painful.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 22-09-2011 at 1:01pm.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234