User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MX5 Mazda Roadstar worth buying?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mongoo
    Your right at 6 feet 3 inch and 106 kgs I am a bit big however have sat in the NC and its okay...

Thanks for the info its most useful.

I like the yellow on the MX5 as well lovely car.

How big is your boot when the canopy is down?

Really looking forward to my MX5

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 18-09-2011 at 4:03am.
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bennymiata;917395]I've had 3 MX-5's (all bought new) starting with an NA (pop-up headlights) in 1993, then an NB8A in 99, then in 2002, I bought an SP (the rare, high powered turbo model) which I still own and covet greatly.

They are fantastic cars!
    In fact, I traded in a Porsche Turbo for my first MX-5!

Hi

Cilla and I am now at the stage of our life were we take a pleasant drive on a breakfast run chatting away.

So I need a cute little roaster that drives well.

When I am on my own I will trash it a bit and its important that is not that powerful otherwise I can just as well keep the Busa.

Sure here is a MX5 club will go and talk to a few owners and bum a ride.

Thanks for the info I am now dead set on a MX5.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 18-09-2011 at 4:16am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oven7
    Yes you are right but I have had the Busa now for 4 years.
    I bought it new in 2007 and have had great fun on it and it still scares the sh.....t out of me.

But that only lasts until I open it up the first time and then I don't care and drive like blazes and that is the rub.....

It pulls like a steam engine from the word go and goes like the devil its absolutely insane and I will miss it.

However its time to move on and I think the MX5 will do me nicely.

Can always buy another bike.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pine; 18-09-2011 at 4:39am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I have an RX8 and I can recommend it for a fun drive. Looks great on the road and corners very well. Have to drive it hard on the revs to do anything and I have to admit it really is in desparate need of a turbo. Despite that, I always ge look in my car and everyone under 80 wants to race me......of course I do not oblige but it is fun to know they have a need to beat me

Advantage of the RX8, it really is an honest 4 seater, and I mean 4 full sized adults fit easily.

Looking for a fun drive, RX8. Looking for fast and fun, stick with the bikes.

PS. drive in iracing.com have a blast driving in a simulated environment. MX5 is there as well as the Falcon V8. Several V8 drivers use it as a practice tool as it is pretty accurate.
    Look you are right the RX8 is great.
    I have actually driven one and it is really nice.

My friend's Porche Boxer is just as nice but my attraction to the MX5 goes back to loving the Austin Heally in my teens as its similar.

All a matter of choice

Best Regards

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    ....Your right at 6 feet 3 inch and 106 kgs I am a bit big however have sat in the NC and its okay...

How big is your boot when the canopy is down?...
    Mongo is surprised at 6ft 3in you fit comfortably in this car but that’s great if you do.

In relation to boot space when the canopy is down, there is NO change. The roof folds down into a separate compartment located between the boot and the back of the seats so the boot space is totally unaffected and is quite reasonable in size to begin with.
    Last edited by mongo; 18-09-2011 at 1:34pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo is surprised at 6ft 3in you fit comfortably in this car but that’s great if you do.

In relation to boot space when the canopy is down, there is NO change. The roof folds down into a separate compartment located between the boot and the back of the seats so the boot space is totally unaffected and is quite reasonable in size to begin with.
    Now that is nice the SLK for instance has virtually no boot.

Cilla and I will probably use the MX5 for longer distances and some boot space will be nice.
    Like Australia we have great distances to travel and we love to drive.

Make no error its a tight fit but so be it.

Of course the SLK is made for me size wise but its too refined and does not grab me.

Thanks for all your info.

Hopefully I will post picts of my MX5 soon.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 18-09-2011 at 4:20pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post

I'm surprised as well! I'm 1.75m/5.7" and about 80+kgs. So i'm not that big nor tall. But i feel a little cramped in the mx-5 and have hit my head on the roof on one occasion going over a speed bump too quickly (didn't see it).

Boot is definitely big for a car size that small. If i recall i could fit 2 maximum sized cabin legal carry on suitcases with plenty of room to spare for other stuff here and there! I was amazed at how big the boot is. The porsche boxter has a smaller boot than a slk ... if you think the slk is bad! LoL.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck Pine. Mongo would love to see the photos of the new car when you get it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I'm surprised as well! I'm 1.75m/5.7" and about 80+kgs. So i'm not that big nor tall. But i feel a little cramped in the mx-5 and have hit my head on the roof on one occasion going over a speed bump too quickly (didn't see it).

Boot is definitely big for a car size that small. If i recall i could fit 2 maximum sized cabin legal carry on suitcases with plenty of room to spare for other stuff here and there! I was amazed at how big the boot is. The porsche boxter has a smaller boot than a slk ... if you think the slk is bad! LoL.

My head was close to the Boxer's roof as well and must admit it felt a bit crowded.

Also in the Honda the leg space was a bit short so at my lenght it is a problem.

The top was down when I sat in the MX5 will have to check again.

I am really interested in driving with the top down when on a breakfast run the top is really just for rain. In the winter we will mainly park it.

We have another 3 cars so the MX5 is supposed to replace the bike and be the fun vechile driven on occasion.

Keefy thanks for all the info.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 19-09-2011 at 1:03am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun with it Pine, sounds like the MX5 will suit you well. You're only as old as you feel. Drive safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFy View Post
    I expected more out of a photographer than that kinda shot! Does the car no justice :
    Is this any better?

StyleBar-009.jpg

Or maybe this one taken with my new Tokina UWA.

IMG_9690.jpg

The pics are just snapshots.
    I never get the time to prepare my cars for photos!
    Mind you, sometimes I don't know which wheels are on the car as I have a number of sets of wheels depending on if I'm just street driving, racing or drifting in it.

If you want to have a ride in it Keefy (and it puts out around 200kW at the back wheels!), send me a PM. I work in Botany and live on the lower North Shore, and I'd be happy to give you a ride whenever you like (within reason).
    Last edited by Bennymiata; 19-09-2011 at 4:27pm.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they are good cars, but like kiwi I can't help but to think hairdresser. Go a Porsche, it more respectable (says the guy with an astra )

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    ]

Is this any better?

StyleBar-009.jpg

IMG_9690.jpg

Mind you, sometimes I don't know which wheels are on the car as I have a number of sets of wheels depending on if I'm just street driving, racing or drifting in it.

If you want to have a ride in it Keefy (and it puts out around 200kW at the back wheels!), send me a PM. I work in Botany and live on the lower North Shore, and I'd be happy to give you a ride whenever you like (within reason).

I know what you mean. I've not taken photos of my own cars as well. Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take you up on that offer one day! With 200KW it is quite a monster for a car that light and sized!
    I used to run Bridgestone RE55s for track use, I've tried Falken RT 615 as well but still love the 55s. Kumho KU31s for dailys. What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    I know they are good cars, but like kiwi I can't help but to think hairdresser. Go a Porsche, it more respectable (says the guy with an astra )

Well that's the typical mindset of people who are not true car fanatics IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a car lover, but it's a stereotypical view of the mx5 as being an effeminate sportscar, IMO.

Is it fair ? No, course not, doesnt mean it's not true though does it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...dressers%20car

Most cars have a stereotype associated with it

Eg, who drives a falcon xr8 ..... A Kia carnival......a rolls ?.....a Mazda 3 ?
    Last edited by kiwi; 19-09-2011 at 11:50pm.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    ]

Is this any better?

That is serious amount of power.

Is this a standard motor ex factory or tuned afterwards.

Nice shot of the back light ...

Must say the MX5 looks good in silver

Regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post

Its all a matter of opinion

Can always say "Its my wifes car my Mustang is in for service"

Seriously I simply love the classic British sportscar look..

Regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
    Have fun with it Pine, sounds like the MX5 will suit you well. You're only as old as you feel. Drive safe.
    Thanks Baron I am looking forward to my "Red MX5" has to be red...........

Regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I'm a car lover, but it's a stereotypical view of the mx5 as being an effeminate sportscar, IMO.

Is it fair ? No, course not, doesnt mean it's not true though does it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...dressers%20car

Most cars have a stereotype associated with it

Eg, who drives a falcon xr8 ..... A Kia carnival......a rolls ?.....a Mazda 3 ?
    As Jeremy Clarkson says "Verdict: Hairdressing just got butch"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...icle725965.ece

If he likes it cannot be too much of a gay little car ......

He really does not mince words.....

It was their review that got me interested in the MX5.

They review a lot of cars and also critise some good cars if they like the MX5 it cannot be that bad...

Nice talking to you

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 20-09-2011 at 12:19pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Mx-5's are hairdresser cars, then there are a lot of hairdressers racing, as the MX-5 is the most popular car raced in grass-roots racing in Oz, and the NSW MX-5 CLub have won the interclub Golden Shield for Supersprints for about 5 of the last 7 years.

Anyway, my wife's hairdresser drives an HSV Holden, so what does that make him?

My Mx-5 is an SP, which is a high powered turbo version of which only 100 were ever made.
    Standard, they put out 157kW at the engine, but I've had the chief mechanic of Mazda Motorsports re-build my engine and tune it properly.
    While it puts out prodigious amounts of power, it's smooth and reliable and happy to idle along in traffic.
    It has all the requisite things like huge aluminium radiator, oil cooler, all forged internals etc etc, and it can be like a wild animal to drive.
    I can also adjust the boost from inside the cabin, and if I have it on full street boost, I can easily get it to break into wheelspin when I hit about 4,000 RPM in 2nd gear.
    On full race boost, the car has to be on racing rubber, otherwise it's just wheelspin city.
    I run the Falken RT615's on the street, as ordinary rubber doesn't last long and makes the car feel squirmy.
    I've also got a Guru limited slip diff and fully adjustable Bilstein coil-overs, so it handles really well too.

While it's not set up for drag racing, it has run a 12.94 at the drag strip, so it's great fun to blow off hot V8's.
    I get some very perplexed looks from some people when they try and run me at the lights, and my wife (God bless her) is always hassling me to get into the left lane at lights and drag people off.
    Not the sort of thing you expect from someone in their mid fifties!!

But I guess tht's what an MX-5 does to you.
    It brings out the kid in you, and this is why they are so much fun to drive.

By the way, I was vice-president of the NSW MX-5 Club for 2 years, then president for another 2 years, so I am a bit biased towards them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said, I think they are great cars..........for hairdressers or others

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast