Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivers Project

I got this idea a few weeks ago, to capture an image of a driver and their machine.

Be it they drive a car, motorbike, boat, scooter, plane or fly a helicopter.

Whether the vehicle is new, old, standard, modified, rare or common.

I want to capture the person as the main focus, and the vehicle second. It's about the driver, bringing them out in the photograph and showing off their pride and joy (Or their means of getting from A to B).

So far I've done 5 shoots, I have 47 interested people in a private Facebook event of just my friends alone, plus there are people at work who are interested, and friends of friends who are interested (word spread around!).

Some of these extra interested parties are driving Porsches, GTRs, AMGs, etc. So I'm excited to get around to those too!

So far:

Russell - My father, with his Triumph Street Triple
    Upon discovering a new "style", I thought my dad looked pretty intimidating. He wants to keep that hairstyle, because so many people around him hate it. I think it makes him suit his bike more than the usual clean cut look he has haha.. So I wanted to focus more on this, while showing a bit of his bike

Mark with his Scooter he imported from Japan
    Mark lived in Japan for a number of years, being half Japanese and all. He imported this bike over when he moved to Sydney and it is such an unusual sight on the road. The big oversized scooter, modified in cool ways. An exhaust that sticks upwards on one side, LED lights, a stereo, etc. I wanted to show this off, while showing off how tall Mark is (he is damn tall). This kind of just worked out nicely!

Henri with his Scooter
    Henri is a rather humble person, suave with the ladies, a goof with us boys. But definitely very stylish. He is French, so naturally, one would assume he'd have a lot of style. That's definitely correct. This was one of the first photos I got in the shoot. It seemed he just naturally went for a pose, which was then followed by lots of sillyness!

Conrad and his bright red Celica
    Ah Conrad, he is just a personality within himself. He wasn't really sure how to go about this photoshoot, and neither did I. I tend to picture what it is I want to take building up to a photoshoot, so I have an idea on how I'd like to go about it. I pictured the bright white carpark making the red of the car stand out more, but I'm still getting used to how to get people to pose. I try to get them to do what they feel is comfortable, but having a camera pointed in your face and being told to "act comfortable and natural" brings out all kinds of different emotions! I got some good shots of him, and this one stood out amongst the others. There is some kind of balance there.

Matthew with his Honda Integra
    I hadn't met Matthew before, and he had no idea what this project was about. So on the way there after meeting them, our original location was too busy, so I jumped in his car and we headed elsewhere. It worked out quite well I say! I explained to him what it was all about, and told him to just do what he wanted to do. It worked really well, from the very little I know about him, it seemed to represent the right kind of image that I myself wanted to portray.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the idea and really great work! Good job!

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see a refreshed look on the usual car shots Tommy. I enjoyed the narrative on the owners which takes away the need (or want) to critique the actual photos. I actually found myself reading the narrative before looking at the photo which is something I don't do on this site. Well done & I'm looking forward to reading more.
    Robbo (Neil)

Canon 7D, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, Canon 18-200mm IS, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, Sigma 10-20mm UWA Canon 400D

How do I change my signature?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments

These were my preferred pick out of each series!

For the rest of the photos from each person, click here:
    http://www.omgtom.net/driverproject/

I'll be building a prettier website around it, but that's where they are for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work Thommo...I like these.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea and some really nice shots. This is not a critisism at all (the photos are fantastic), but I was wondering why you chose to have the camera focussed on the vehicles rather than the drivers/riders as described in the mission statement? I'm mostly talking about #2 and #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo224 View Post
    I want to capture the person as the main focus, and the vehicle second. It's about the driver, bringing them out in the photograph and showing off their pride and joy (Or their means of getting from A to B).
    I really like the varied background settings for each of the vehicles. In every one of those photos the background perfectly compliments the vehicle and the subject. Nice narrative too!
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 14-09-2011 at 6:26pm.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
    Nice idea and some really nice shots. This is not a critisism at all (the photos are fantastic), but I was wondering why you chose to have the camera focussed on the vehicles rather than the drivers/riders as described in the mission statement? I'm mostly talking about #2 and #3.
    I don't know, I just go with how I feel at the time of shooting

I haven't created a "stick to" formula yet, and I want to try to make each shoot as different from another as I can! It's all just an idea I'm building from as I go

Since it's only me doing the shooting and I have so many willing subjects, there will be lots of overlap in styles, arrangements and all over composition. But yeah, at the end of the day I just go with how I feel

But hey, thank you for your comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a top idea, love it!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Cattle! Got some photos of a mate with a Type R and another mate with a 2009 STI last night

Those pics may or may not come up tonight, depending on when I get home

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moe with his DC2 Integra Type R
    I've known Moe only on Facebook up until now, I forget how we ended up on each others friends list, but we have a number of mutual friends. Including my sister and randoms from my year at school. Anyway, he responded to a message I sent out and here we are! Some photos were taken of the bright yellow DC2 Type R he rolls in covered in Carbon Fibre Goodies.

Michael and his STI WRX
    Known this guy for a while, we met on a car cruise a few years ago and he helped me work on my old Galant VR4. Nice guy, bit of a joker, and loves to talk. To get him to stay serious faced was quite the effort on his part, as all he wanted to do was break it! However, he intended on making this happen out of his own choice. Good on ya dude!
    I had an original location set among some warehouses but the light was very poor and trucks kept driving through. Security rocked up and suggested a different location with heaps of lighting, so they showed us to this big open carpark which is where we got this shot
    Last edited by Tommo224; 17-09-2011 at 10:59am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always like these kind of series and this is a very good one. Well done! There is just one issue: these people all obviously are proud of their vehicles but the car-owners all fall into a certain type of scene. I would be good to have a little more variation: some women maybe, some older, some younger. And of course a lot more cars that stand out from these toys.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments, however, did you see in my original post though? I have over 47 people interested. Lots of different characters in that, I'm only early in to my project so give me a chance and you'll be seeing more things like that.

Sortec and his Golf
    Sortec is my manager at work, he quite liked the idea of this project and came up with the random and funny idea to try fishing off of the back of his car! So we found a spot and made it happen. There were builders near by loving how random this was, and a group of people laughing and watching us take these photos! It was quite funny!

Last edited by Tommo224; 23-09-2011 at 8:35pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your brief, and think, great idea, I look at the images and on the whole, I think, well done.
    Then I try and apply the brief to the images, if your brief is as you describe
    Then I am left a little disappointed that the driver is not the sharpest part of each and every image.
    To make this about the driver, then the driver needs to be sharp.

Just my 2 cents, a great idea, and a project that seems to be going to keep you busy for a good while
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I've frayed away from that because as I go along, I'm changing things and working things differently. It's easier said than done, as I create a new plan for each shoot and try to give a different feel to each one. Mix it up a bit. And if that means having the driver smaller than the car while holding a fishing rod in the air (because that's also what they wanted), then so be it, I'll drop the brief for something interesting like that!

I'm not deterring too far from my original brief, I'm more going for a mixture now. As you see in some of them, there is a mix, some are more towards showing off their vehicle, and some have them both in the focus.

And I've realised some people aren't so comfortable posing and being in photos like this, but are still happy to do it for my sake. So that can be hard getting them to look and be comfortable IN the photo =/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two Brothers
    Simon and Jason, they're Mikis (below) old neighbours who had a thing for cars much like us boys. Every time Jamie and I would rock up at Mikis place, they'd take notice of our cars in the car park. After sparking up conversation with them a few times, we grew to know them and discovered how much of a passion they have for them.

Jason with his 350z
    Still on his P-plates, he can only drive this car during work hours for work purposes, so he hasn't had a chance to take it for a proper drive yet! Each time we'd go anywhere for a drive, his brother Simon would take it out. At the moment it is bone stock, but he has big plans for it!

Simon and his R34 Skyline GTR V-Spec II
    Simon only recently picked this beauty up from another older enthusiast. A Japanese bloke who is one of the guys running Skylines Australia, one of the biggest Nissan Skyline forums in Australia. The car is immaculate, running beautifully and punching 300kw atw. I haven't seen it go yet, but my god it sounds amazing just revving on the spot and idling!

Miki and his Liberty running a Twin Turbo motor
    Miki is a long time friend of mine, never done me wrong since year 8 in high school. He picked up this conversion off a Subaru warlock friend of ours (Scott, Jamies brother) which was originally a second project of his (used to be running a STI motor Scott fitted, then parted and fitted this instead).
    Miki isn't one for photos at the best of times, so getting him to do this was tricky within itself! He may look like a tough one, but he is a softy. Believe me =P

Jamie and his Liberty running a V7 STI motor
    Much like the original conversion Scott did on Mikis blue Liberty above, Jamie purchased an imported motor and his brother and him teamed up to fit it and get it running in their backyard. After little hiccups here and there, they got it done, perfected and engineered. Originally being an automatic luxury spec Liberty, it now still has all the comfort parts, only now with a quick turbo motor.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason with his beast of an Mercedes Benz AMG C63
    I've been wanting to take photos of this car ever since he picked it up, I've watched him slowly modify it and I've been falling more and more in love with it. The sound, the look, the stance, it's just pure BOSS. I finally booked a time with him, did a photoshoot and followed it by a Drivers Project photo! He was reluctant about standing there for a photo, but lucky for me he let me.

Michael and Sheri with their Skylines
    These two are such a sweet couple, they both share a strong passion for cars, have as much passion for each other and they're both great friends of mine. Always good company, and were both very happy to be involved with the photos!

Michael with his R32 GTR
    Still in the process of modifying it more and more (last time I spoke to him about his car, it was pushing 300kw atw). It's been detuned for now, while he gets more parts and tries to push massive power! I've known Michael for a while now, he's a great bloke. Don't let the beard deter you, this guy is quite funny and well natured. Loves his cars, and knows what he is doing behind the wheel and under the bonnet.

Sheri sitting by her R32 Skyline GTST
    Savvy with cars, sweet personality and very pretty. Michael has managed to catch him a top one here. And yes, she did arrive with those heels on! "I had to push the seat back a bit to be able to drive properly in them".
    Last edited by Tommo224; 04-10-2011 at 2:00pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a cool project, I like them all and the storys too! I have to agree with the others though that the people in some of them are a bit of an afterthought. I think you need to work a bit more on your people management and get them to feel a bit more at ease.

But a great project and I look forward to seeing more!
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, glad you like it!

This project was started as a "productive learning experience". I'm getting there with the people management thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the concept is excellent, but IMO you need to 1. Decide whether the vehicles or the people are the main point of focus
    2. Start using off camera lighting effectively, this will bring your project to a whole new level and help you develop and hone some great new skills. There are some very good articles on this forum and also have a look at www.strobist.com, this site is truely informative.
    Great work so far, love to see some different modes of transport.
    Andrew
    D700, D5000, Various Nikon and Sigma Lenses and lots of other expensive thingys with buttons and knobs (some even go Bing !!)
    www.andrewplacephotography.com.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an off camera flash now, will see how that works with it all And will be slowly building up other forms of lighting equipment!

I'm not going to decide on the vehicle or person as the main point for the whole project, it is a partnership thing. Both the driver AND the car, so it will be constantly changing depending on the shoot itself. Ie: the location, the person, and the vehicle.

I know it keeps changing from the original brief I wrote up when I first got the idea, but that doesn't really matter hmm. And I can't edit the post to change that either hahaha

I've seen Strobist, pretty damn good!

But thanks for your comments and such

I have a boat, a helicopter and an aircraft lined up. Just a matter of booking those in for a shoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast