Thread: Point and Shoot waterproof camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point and Shoot waterproof camera

My significant other is off on a holiday in a few months time to Antarctica. Lucky girl! She's not big on photography, so not keen on taking my DSLR.
    I'm keen to get her a good waterproof camera, which appears to be an oxymoron picture-quality wise.
    Can anyone recommend a good point-and-shoot waterproof camera?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at some of the Olympus range. They are good at bringing out waterproof P&S cameras, that often are 'ruggedised' and can handle being dropped etc as well
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2011 at 7:56pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't looked into it for a while, but when I last did my research the Panasonic series were the best all-rounders, while the Canon series were a little better under water, but not quite so good above (not so easy to fit in your pocket either). I'd definitely pick from one of the three brands listed above though and there are plenty of reviews online to give you assistance.

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a long thread on here a few months ago about this, I am sure. But Panasonic (incl Lumix) are excellent cameras, and really, any of the good brands such as Canon or Nikon, Fuji finepix etc should be Ok. Ease of use would be a factor as I imagine she would be e=wearing gloves most of the time. The Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS has a GPS capability - could be useful.There is a review of some of the offerings here (CNet)

Lucky girl - I'd love to go there!
    Last edited by Analog6; 14-09-2011 at 9:43am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used Olympus miu cameras for years (on to our second) & been very happy, but the reviews will be more up to date & comprehensive than my limited experience.

One important thing though will be the ability to be able to keep them inside your partners parka where they can stay warm as Antartic temperatures will affect the operations of the camera.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I too would be going if I didn't suffer from severe seasickness!
    I will check out the cameras you have all mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi cfm,
    How did you go with your research? I am also looking into some waterproof cameras at the moment, as I am planning a trip to NZ next year and we are going to be doing some activities where I will not want to take my DSLR... i.e. Kayaking on Milford Sound. But I really want something quite good quality, I'm not planning on taking it underwater, more just for 'in case' it gets dropped into water, gets wet etc.
    Would love to hear what you ended up going with....
    Thanks,
    Ellen
    Ellen
    Pentax K10D, the newest baby
    Sigma 17-70mm
    Sigma 70-300mm
    Pentax 50mm f1.4
    Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash
    Whats next????

Please CC my photos, and edit where you want! Got lots to learn so please pass on instructions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Mark an Olympus Tough TG-310 for his birthday earlier this year for his upcoming mountaineering trip to NZ. It's really quite rugged, and I bought the bright orange one so that he can easily spot in it the snow if he drops it. It takes quite good pictures too

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated