User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Completely different way of viewing forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely different way of viewing forums.

Just had an idea - but I'm not software/forum savvy so I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement.
    While I go for a browse through the member galleries clicking through thread titles etc - I was thinking wouldn't it be great if instead of (or addition to) this approach - there could be a randomly generated page of thumbnails - similar to the Random CC link. Instead of displaying the standard format of thread titles though - there could be a page of thumbnails. (Similar to what comes up in the Galleries section, for example). Once you clicked on the thumbnail you could be taken to the normal thread view for that thread.

My reason for this idea is twofold:

-First it would provide some anonymity : you wouldn't know who's photo you were looking at until you clicked on it / hovered your mouse over the thumbnail, thus eliminating the temptation to only view threads started by your 'mates" or members who's photos yu generally enjoy viewing/commenting on.

-By this approach - viewers atention needs to be attracted by the actual photo in the first instance - rather than a thread title or the identity of the thread starter. One would assume then, that this approach may lead to a better distribution of CC with most weight placed on the merits of the image itself.

Obviously the thumbnails would have to be of a decent enough size to grab attention, while still being able to fit a decent amount onto one page to allow rapid viewing.

Again not sure if this is even feasable to do - and I suggest as a supplement to the exisiting format rather than a substitute.
    I think this is something all photo related forums could benefit from.

I just thought - this is a photo forum - and it is much easier to quickly pick out something that grabs your attention that you are more likely to comment or leave CC on.
    Obviously the titled thread view still has its advantages: such as if the viewer is looking for something topic specific that can not be readily identified by a quick look at a thumbnail image.
    I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this idea? Am I crazy? Do we need a Kiwi poll on this?
    Last edited by kaiser; 13-09-2011 at 2:03pm.
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, We have the Random CC Thread in the forum sub-menu which goes part of the way.
    We also have Unanswered Threads in the AP Extras menu.

Interesting idea all the same.
    FWIW we already have thumbs for attached images.
    Linked images could be done, albeit the image would be re-sized, i.e. it would still cost bandwidth.

Thinking out aloud .... the random page would show maybe 20 random 1st posts from the CC area with the first image in those posts.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback Kym. The random CC thread does indeed go part of the way - my direction of thinking was to be able to get that into a pictorial form to allow quick visual judgement rather than trying to decipher what titles actually mean and clicking through each one to view the image.

cheers,

matt

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would anyone else care to discuss? For or against?

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think know what you mean, more or less a gallery of recently uploaded images, click through the thumb to get to the thread?
    another site I visit occasionally, works in a similar way.
    Down side is that many photos get hits and most get little comment.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey David. Yeah that's pretty much the idea I am getting at. I'm curious as to the "more hits, less CC" trend you see in the other forum- I would have thought it would have been reversed. I mean if the photo got your interest enough to click through to the thread- you'd probably be more inclined to comment. As opposed to seeing a thread title that doesn't reveal the photo, having to click on it to see what the photo actually is, (counting as a hit) - then deciding whether it gets your attention enough to leave feedback?

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on the medium to long term site improvements ideas list.
    Comp voting is a higher priority.

Also: We have an upgrade I need to install in the next few days that improves the mobile browsing experience.
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...e-for-download

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an iPad pulse application style interface would be nice
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    an iPad pulse application style interface would be nice
    Out of my hands.
    It's the upgraded mobile interface from vBulletin, tapatalk is still the preferred approach.
    You can use either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah, im not talking about using it that way on a mobile device, but on this interface, i realise that it's beyond capability probably, would still be cool

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    nah, im not talking about using it that way on a mobile device, but on this interface, i realise that it's beyond capability probably, would still be cool
    Rumors are that a new vBulletin GUI will happen in v5 or v6 -- more than a year away for now

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One must also consider those with less powerful computers/laptops. Would such an implementation slow the site down?
    I'm happy with the side bar. I think it does an excellent job.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr