Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competition or not?

Hi AP'ers,

Take a look at this.

What's your view?

Someone recently asked me how one can possibly compete with photographer like this, offering ridiculously low rates for wedding photography. I haven't been in this business for long, yet I'm still amazed at some of the things I see.

My question to you is... If you charge premium dollars for a premium product, are you REALLY competing with these people? Would someone who's willing to hire a $100 wedding photographer ever consider hiring someone charging in the thousands anyway?

Discuss...
    Last edited by jasevk; 12-09-2011 at 4:08pm.
    Living the dream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not amazed.

I once got undercut by a photographer who was willing to do 3 days of photography for $55 - yep thats fifty five dollars. Client who required shots of their multimillion land and property developments were "dissapointed" with the results. Experienced, educated professionals were in charge of that decision. Result was that they missed the chance of producing something that could have gained them some industry construction awards. Value of those would have been a great deal more than my costs.

So am I surprised ? Nope because any idiot can put up some prices and then not have to deliver the product at the advertised price. I should be surprised at the clients who want to seek that, but then again, I'm not because one of the things that people value the least these days is - photography.

And no, I dont think its something to feel that you're competing with if you want to aim for the premium market, and the $100 shooter is aiming at the lower end of the market. Horses for courses I suppose.

On the topic of 1000 images for $100 - now thats just madness.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevk View Post
    Would someone who's willing to hire a $100 wedding photographer ever consider hiring someone charging in the thousands anyway?
    No, there are some out there that consider a night out at maccas as fine dining.....

Crikey, just read the reast of ad, 1000 jpegs edited for $100.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 12-09-2011 at 5:04pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love to see their portfolio ;-) Someone's bound to be disappointed.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's analyse the person's ad.

"wedding photography for your special day, I will take pictures (400 raw or 1000 jpeg), edit them and burn them onto a disc all for $100"
    I'm wondering why, for the bargain price of $100, this advertiser is only prepared to convert 400 raw images to JPG mode.

If I wanted the other 600 raw images converted, I guess I would need to 'upsize' and pay another $5...

"Equipment I work with is Nikon D700, SB900 flashlight and 50mm f1.4 lens. "
    Not that the majority of people seeking a wedding photographer would care what gear the shooter uses, and while there's nothing wrong with those items, it far from makes up an adequate wedding kit.

With only a single 50mm lens the shooter would want to make sure that everything he wants to shoot is within a suitable distance for framing with a 50mm lens.

"Let me know if you are interest."
    I would be interested in a photographer who values his reputation and presentation enough to check his grammar (or typing) and correct very simple mistakes.

Sorry, but that ad, its presentation and placement, and the lack of a Web site, contact details or portfolio, screams "a teensy bit of gear and absolutely no idea", so, pass.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 12-09-2011 at 5:44pm.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...(400 raw or 1000 jpeg)...
    I thought this was a strange distinction - till I realised he only has one memory card.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    I thought this was a strange distinction - till I realised he only has one memory card.
    That thought did cross my mind.

It sounds almost humourous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to him, I bet when he's contacted it is not $100 for all that... probably a scammer
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The word in the ad that always gets me is 'I will take pictures'

Umm, No as a professional (?) you should be taking photos. Might as well have said I will take "p-iccies" of your day. (had to put the - in there as the site converts that word to images...hehe)

NEXT!
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-09-2011 at 7:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    I'm not amazed.

I once got undercut by a photographer who was willing to do 3 days of photography for $55 - yep thats fifty five dollars.
    I have no words for this... completely insane is the best I can do.

From what I recall of our chat, the entire market for real estate photography has taken a real beating... which staggers me because the photographs are the first thing a potential buyer will see.

What do they say about first impressions??

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    If I wanted the other 600 raw images converted, I guess I would need to 'upsize' and pay another $5...
    Gold! I had a good chuckle over this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it comes down to whether a potential client switches from a $3k wedding photographer to a $100 one. I doubt that, I could see tha if you were a $500 photographer though you'd see it differently

Had a good chuckle over the memory card comment too
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this person posted another job 2 days before. It says:

"hi, I am a final year university student. I have strong interest in photography, so if you would like to have a free photography assistant for your business on the weekend please contact me. Although my experience is limited, I am eager to learn.

I work with Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4G, SB900 and tripod, I have done some editing with Adobe photoshop and lightroom.

contact me on 0431 699 336.

Thanks. "

Hmm.... I think if he took your wedding photos, you would probably be having your wedding reception at McDonalds with a happy meal for everyone!

LOL

*Canon 400D. Canon 7D, Canon A720 P&S + Underwater housing, Panasonic DMC-TZ-10 ; Underwater housing.
    *Canon 70-200 L F4 IS USM, Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Sigma 10 - 20mm, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Nifty 50, Sigma 135-400 4.5-5.6, 18-55 Kit Lens in reverse mode, Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300, Kenko set of extension tubes. Apple MacBook Pro 15" Core i7.
    * Slik Tripod with ball head. 2 other Slik Tripods. Lowepro Backpack Camera Bag.

My Site | DA Site | Rock Photos | Saipan Photos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, at least he's looked at the memory card to see how many pictures he can fit - or perhaps that's credit where credit isn't due :P
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 13-09-2011 at 8:34am.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on Keith's post above, my guess is the edited JPG's are using a Lightroom preset, that he got off the net. Open the folder, click and convert. Go off and have a coffee etc, come back, copy to disk and give to client.

If people actually pay him the $100.00, then they get $100.00 value from the results. What 17 year old mother of five, would not love this deal when she decided to marry one of the guys who could have been the father on one of her kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enterprising young person. Just about every student wants to earn a little from whatever enterprise to see them through uni. A couple of people I know, Dick Smith and Clive Palmer, ran many such enterprises in their early days earning nothing at the outset but look where they ended up. At least you know where you stand with this person ($100) - better than pretending you're a professional and charging a $1000.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old adages of 'you get what you pay for' and 'if it looks too good to be true it usually is' instantly spring to mind. Covering a wedding is an all day affair and then there is the editing of the photos. This person certainly doesn't value themself very highly.
    Last edited by Analog6; 13-09-2011 at 9:23am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, someone told him that he was being talked about....because the ad is no longer there!! LOL
    Last edited by Ms Monny; 13-09-2011 at 9:42am.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    Well, someone told him that he was being talked about....because the ad is no longer there!! LOL
    Perhaps he has so much business he doesn't need to advertise any more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these ads especially the previous one he posted because when clients say I can get it from someone else at $100 i just show them the previous post and say thats why these guys do it so cheap... no experience, no gear, no back-up...... No way
    You can call me Jez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast