Canon EF70 – 200 f 2.8 L USM with either the

Kenko 1.4X Pro 300 DGX
    or the
    Canon Extender 1.4 X ii

Sigma 70 – 200 AF f 2.8 EX DG OS HSM with either the

Kenko 1.4X Pro 300 DGX
    or the
    Canon Extender 1.4 X ii

Which of these two combo's would you recomend and why?
    Any pic's would be good as well
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably worth mentioning the big $ difference

Also, I very much doubt that the canon tc will drive a sigma 70-200, even kenko cAn be incompatible
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,

My opinion (and it is just my personal opinion) I would go with the canon line up. My reasons are many, and it runs with a bit of experience here.

The sigma vs canon debate has been going on as long the net has had photo forums - for every person who owns the canon lens and says it is the best, there will be a person who owns the sigma who will say it is sharper etc. Most people are purely justifying their own purchase decision. For every pic you see taken with a canon lens you will see one just as sharp taken with the sigma lens (people dont post bad shots when comparing lens). Hell you can go to many different sites which will give you a side by side comparison - but in the end very few people could possibly tell them apart. Then of course you get into the comparisons of the lens on FF and APC sensors - just to confuse the issue even more.

I feel if you were to mix and match the above (canon body, sigma lens and kenko extender) and you were not happy with the results, what would you point to? You would need to test each and everyone of them to see where the problem lay - and then you might need to return them back the manufacturer, who may just send it back telling you it was within specs (so is it your technique)? At least if you have the one brand line up, and you did have problems, you can send the lot into canon and they can test and calibrate it all for you - it is supposed to work together.

If you can afford to buy the canon - why not buy it - you will never be worse off. It is "L" quality gear - tried and proven by many users.

Canon "L" also have a higher resale value than the equivalent focal range sigma (in most cases) - in fact I have bought and owned many "L" canon lens over the years and I can honestly say as my tastes have changed in what I photograph, and I have changed lens, I have normally made a small profit when selling the canon lens. I have owned sigma lens also (where the canon equivalent was not available), but I don't remember ever selling one and making a profit.

With the strength of the AUD, the release of the updated of the IS version in that focal range, and with version III of the canon extender only a few months old, there are some real canon bargains around at the moment, which bring it more in line with the Sigma / Kenko combinations.

Hope this helps with your decision.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 17-09-2011 at 3:20pm.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks
    Darren, Brian500au and Mark L
    The winner is CanonEF70 – 200 f 2.8 L USM non is - Canon Extender 1.4 X ii
    Decided to go full Canon not that I'm brand loyal but I've had no drama's so far so why change. As Darren said it all has to talk to each other . A few more bucks but I know I'm getting great quality.
    Still a month to go before I pick one up. Plenty of time to change my mind.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the canon 70-200 f2.8, and might I say it's a totally AMAZING lens.. I don't have a tc with it yet, so can't tell you what it's like with a tc.. but the lens is so worth the money!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.