User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24

View Poll Results: Where do you see your photography taking you?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like sharing my photos with family and friends (and on forums, etc)

33 32.04%
  • I would like to/do make a little money from selling photos

31 30.10%
  • I want to be/am a Professional Photographer (part-time)

17 16.50%
  • I just like taking photos as a hobby, for me

14 13.59%
  • I want to be/am a Professional Photographer (full-time)

7 6.80%
  • Other (specify)

1 0.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you want to go with your photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of fun with an equal mix of frustration.
    Somewhere in between working, looking after three young kids, selling and buying and renovating a house, recovering from a back injury, trying to get back on the bike to fend off my middle age, paying the bills, a limited social life, gardening, commuting to work, returning from work, domestic chores, feeding the family, school drop off and pick ups, ballet class, swimming classes, fixing things in the man cave, music, yoga, reading and sleeping I occasionally manage to pick up a camera and document some of the life above before it is all gone.
    Just occassionally making someone say , "wow great photo, you must have a good camera" is often enough.
    Last edited by wolffman; 15-09-2011 at 10:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just like taking photos as a hobby, for me

and sharing it with friends and family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant vote, maybe im to late?

anyway.,.. currently its just a hobby i dont divulge in enough. getting better, used to be a very lazy person so starting to get out and about a lot more. got my dslr into a band gig on friday, i had a ball!

i think id like, down the track, to be able to turn it into a job (whether FT or PT) but atm, not good enough, and to many unexplored avenues!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a lot of product shots for my company, but I also love taking photos for relaxation.
    Problem is getting the time to actually go somewhere to take great shots, so I just do a bit here and there and hope for the best.

It's funny that shooting for work and shooting for pleasure are so different, although I've picked up a lot of skills in product photography which relates really well into my hobby and I also get to buy some gear and have the company pay for it.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
    cant vote, maybe im to late?

anyway.,.. currently its just a hobby i dont divulge in enough. getting better, used to be a very lazy person so starting to get out and about a lot more. got my dslr into a band gig on friday, i had a ball!

i think id like, down the track, to be able to turn it into a job (whether FT or PT) but atm, not good enough, and to many unexplored avenues!
    You could not vote at the time cause your account was inactive (at the time of your post in this thread), now you have started participating again, your voting privileges have been restored
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted part timer but where was the voting thingo for " I wanna be rich and famous! "..........or didnt anyone want to vote for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    You could not vote at the time cause your account was inactive (at the time of your post in this thread), now you have started participating again, your voting privileges have been restored
    thanks, thought that might have been it.

must.start.visiting.regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i admire those who are professional photographers and still say that it's still a hobby as far as they are concerned!

how i wish i could be in the same level too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would i like to go with my Photgraphy??..just a hobby for this little vegymite but would like to take it to where i and others think that i take a damn good Photo!!!..Still trying in that department though ..
    Will get there if i hang around long enough...
    I also am passionate about my fishing and would hate to have taken that to a professional status as i wouldnt like to do the same with photgraphy..leave that to the pros who have put the time , effort and money into it.
    landscape ,taking pics of familly members and the odd wildlife / Flower shot..
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment Photography is just my hobby and another creative mode in addition to studying Architecture at uni, however I love challenging what I have learnt and pushing that more and more I one day wish to bring these two passions of mine together and specialize in Architectural Photography
    C&C on my photo's is always welcome

Check out my Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/samroutledge/

GEAR: Canon 450D / Canon 18-55 IS f3.5-5.6 / Canon 75-300 f4-5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to learn how to take amazing landscape photos.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minuxd View Post
    Simple answer to that is to hone your skills, be prepared to get up very early in the morning and to be where the amazing landscapes are waiting to be photographed.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only do it for a hobby. I share with family, friends and the many new friends I have met on this forum.
    I love to experiment, and my post those images on here for comment and CC. I like how since starting my new hobby, how I see things a lot clearer now. I see life in a different way. I've seen things that may have been around me all my life, but only now seeing them for the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by minuxd
    Look at some of the landscape images on here. Post some of your own. Ask "How do I" and most of all, go through the learning plan.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to make a little money to subsidise my hobby while I'm building my skills then see where things take me in the future. Had my first paid gig a couple weeks back. Money from that didn't cover the backup and upgraded equipment I purchased but it will pay off for future gigs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently doing it for a hobby and making some money on the side but I'm hoping to keep the current day job until all debts are paid off (if all goes well, maybe 15 years!), then work part time until retirement and who knows, possibly run the photography aspect as the main job - hopefully keep fit in the meantime so I can still access areas of the wilderness that I currently do.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My day job is boring as batpoo, so I love the challenge of selecting a location/subject, time of day, tides, any filters etc and getting out & having a crack at some decent shots. The satisfaction when you nail it & get a great shot makes it all worthwhile.
    Given my wife very much thinks of my newfound hobby as an expensive and time consuming inconvenience that needs no further money spent on it, my goal is to maybe one day be good enough to sell a few images here & there - enough to subsidize the purchase of quality lenses & a good camera body at least would make me happy...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt. Your wife would get on well with my wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimately I'd love to have someone buy one of my photographs however currently it is a very enjoyable, but sometimes frustrating, hobby!
    Another goal is to take some suitable to hang on our walls.
    Knowing the ins & outs of my camera is a challenge & a must for me, to be able to look at a scene & say yep these are the settings I need to set to get the correct exposure to capture the mood & lighting in front of me Working on that one going to a workshop with Nick Rains in nov.
    Although I have taken photos (snap shots) over the years I have not paid any attention to the camera as a tool ... these new digital cameras have so much built into them & are a steep learning curve for me
    To pack our camper & head north west & south for as long as we can to see & capture as much of our amazing country is where I want to be ... out there doing it
    We can all dream !!!
    Cheers, Annette
    5D Mk II - 24-105mm, 100mm macro, 100-400mm, 14mm

web site: www.telopeapix.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm resigned to the realistion that in my lifetime photography is never going to play the role I wanted it to. The simple fact that it is expensive is one reason. Others are lack of time and my inability to improve my skills with Photoshop, Lightroom etc.

Since we lost our computer and other electrical gear in the floods at the start of the year, and me having yet another hard drive failure losing most of my pictures, I'm almost at the point of thinking why even bother trying.

Outside of trying to run my own part-time gardening business, with family commitments and health problems, I find very little time or energy for anything else. I don't know how other people and families do all that they do...

If I was 20 years younger and had it all in front of me again there's a lot I'd do differently.
    Last edited by Paul G; 28-09-2011 at 6:16pm.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt a long time ago not to turn my hobby's into my work. I almost lost cycling due to working in the industry (funnily enough a big break and a job back in the industry and my love for it is greater than ever)

In saying that my sis in law is a jewellery maker, and has floated the idea of having a stall at a couple of local markets with some framed prints of mine to make up some empty space... I'm heavily against the idea as I'm my own worst critic and can't see myself for paying for my shots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast