User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24

View Poll Results: Where do you see your photography taking you?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like sharing my photos with family and friends (and on forums, etc)

33 32.04%
  • I would like to/do make a little money from selling photos

31 30.10%
  • I want to be/am a Professional Photographer (part-time)

17 16.50%
  • I just like taking photos as a hobby, for me

14 13.59%
  • I want to be/am a Professional Photographer (full-time)

7 6.80%
  • Other (specify)

1 0.97%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you want to go with your photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Where do you want to go with your photography

We have had poll's on how much you make from photography and more. So this one is asking something different.

Where do you see your photography, in your life?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the short term (next 3 years) I'd like to build it up to steady part time photography business, when when my kids go to school try and ramp it up to full-time. I figure 3 years is a realistic time frame to build up a decent clientele while also learning as much as I can about the biz and photography, then reassess to see where I want to be. My problem is that my area is VERY over-saturated with both photographers & fauxtographers so its not going to be easy in the portrait field.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography is a hobby for me. Unfortunately, work sometimes interferes in my photography time (but only for around 40 hours a week). I am quite happy to explore and try and improve my photography, I have a lot to learn. I am interested in art photography but need to get on top more fundamental stuff first. In the meantime, I share my photos with friends and on forums.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography for me is strictly a hobby.

It's something about which I am passionate, and I don't want to turn it into a job or career. While I have sold images and done paid gigs, during the past year or so I've decided that those paths don't appeal to me.

Being able to shoot on my own terms and in my own time (in balance with other aspects of life) in pursuit of the kinds of images I want, suits me very well.

Photography is something that I always have with me. Sometimes I am quite active, and other times I drop off the grid for a while. The good thing is that when time and motivation align, I can pick up from where I left off.

Photography for me is a fluid journey; my interests within it come and go, and I encounter new people, new ideas, new images, new places, new knowledge and new experiences as part of a journey that ultimately doesn't have -- or need -- a destination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant vote in this Poll, as there is no option for wanting to be God

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenedis's reply basically echoes mine to a tee.

Work usually interferes for approximately 47.5-52.5 hours a week, and in reality more than that, as by the time I get home , or at home on the weekends, I'm so tired(of work) my preference is for lazing about and doing nothing.
    With my old job, work actively encouraged a higher photography participation rate.

I need to get back into my old job(courier) again!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my partner said to me "if you're gonna do it all the time your might as well start getting paid for it" and while I agree and want to get paid for it there are several factors that have to be in place first.
    1- I have to be good enough, just cause I want to earn from it doesn't mean someone's going to pay me for it.
    2- you have to be able to deliver what the client wants. It's ok to have your unique style and you don't want to be "jack of all trades master of none" but at the same time you have to be able to meet your market.
    3- I refuse, repeat refuse to damage the industry. If I'm not good enough to charge appropriately I'll do it pro Bono.
    4- I want to run a legitimate business. I want to be able to provide a wage, work cover and superfor myself and any staff i might have. It's only fair.
    And I'm not in fairy land, I grew up in a large family business, have been in business myself and am well aware that it's more hard work than accolades.
    Last edited by Luna-blu; 11-09-2011 at 9:38pm. Reason: I can't spell!
    Just clowning around

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like to share etc (that's how I voted), wouldn't mind making a few $$ in the future, but that's not a goal.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I voted on being a full time photographer - its also my hobby, and my passion.

And yes I enjoy sharing too - mainly my experiences - as opposed to needing a vehicle for my imagery.

Seems a few think that if you're a professional that you are only motivated by money. FWIW when I want to, and when the cause is worth it, my work becomes my hobby and I will quite happily support something by giving it away without a cost.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until last week it was only a hobby, but after having a taste of the big time I am now not to sure.
    I was backup tog for a relatives wedding and was paid a slab of beer they have also offered to buy me a Nifty Fifty or a Speed light
    I didn't want anything for doing it, only the experience.
    I voted for "I like sharing my photos" and that's the way it will always be, but a slab every now and then would be good
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, I take photos for myself and to share with others. I sell a few prints, and also enjoy doing weddings and other odd jobs...if I didn't really enjoy the photographic challenge presented I probably wouldn't bother though. It makes me some money, but as its not my primary employment I am perhaps as not seeking as those who do it for a career. I wouldn't do a job I didn't have the capability to do to my utmost however, as I believe flagging standards are one of the greatest blights on the photographic industry.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A soccer world cup final.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends and acquaintances call me a photographer and at times I get paid for my work, but I am not actively pursuing that part - but it is nice to be paid, so I won't say no.

I just love ticking along doing what I please with my photography and learning. Birding will always have priority I believe, its just so darn interesting.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working towards part time. At the moment, wedding get my tick.
    Nikon D700 | Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 | Sigma 50mm F1.4|Nikon 70-300mm VR

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took up photography in retirement purely as a hobby, and my photos were just for my own pleasure. After 2 years of working alone and sharing my shots with only my wife and family I started to wonder about how my photography was progressing. I joined a photography club and this forum, and discovered that I was better than I thought I was. It gives me great pleasure to have people admire my photographs and even greater pleasure to win in a club competition. I have also sold the occasional shot on a stock photography site. But overall, my photography is still just a hobby which I like to share occasionally with friends, family and forums.
    Cliff
    CC always appreciated
    gear: 7D, 400D, 17-55mm IS, 100mm Macro L IS, 70-300mm DO IS, EF 12II and EF 25II Extension Tubes, 580 EX II Speedlite, Printers - Pro9500 Mk II, MX396
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tamron 18-270, Vanguard AltaPro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head, Benro C-058 Tripod and J-1 Ballhead, Velbon Ultrastick 50LX Monopod
    LR5, PS CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a hobby, but I would like to make some money from it to recover money spent on gear and also money for new gear
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be nice to be paid to do what you love? (that's supposed to be a wistful sigh kind of smiley, not an eye rolling one! )

My goal is to return from a trip out shooting, confidant that what is on my camera is exactly what I was aiming for, exactly how I saw the scene in my mind and with my eyes.

One day... onnnnnne day

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took up photography purely as a hobby that would get me out of the chair and out of the house and then I learned that there is also a thing called PP .....

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
    I took up photography purely as a hobby that would get me out of the chair and out of the house and then I learned that there is also a thing called PP .....
    That gets you back in the house and in the chair...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Xenedis's reply basically echoes mine to a tee.

Work usually interferes for approximately 47.5-52.5 hours a week,
    Only 47.5 - 52.5 hours per week????

I wish!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast