User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Manfrotto head for RC2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manfrotto head for RC2

Hi, i am looking for a head to go on my Gittzo monopod CF 0.6kg.
    IMG_0867.jpg

I aready have a Monofrotto Tripod ( the 25th aniversry all alloy one 2.66kg ) and it has the RC2 type 3 way head.
    IMG_0856.jpg

I am considering the 488RC2 because it would take the same plate and give me panning at car events etc.
    IMG_0857.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better head that takes the RC2 plate?
    Would like to stick to the RC2 type especialy since the black rapid straps seam to support this option and i hope to buy the DR1 soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ryan View Post
    Hi, i am looking for a head to go on my Gittzo monopod CF 0.6kg.

I aready have a Monofrotto Tripod ... and it has the RC2 type 3 way head.

I am considering the 488RC2 because it would take the same plate and give me panning at car events etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better head that takes the RC2 plate?
    Would like to stick to the RC2 type especialy since the black rapid straps seam to support this option and i hope to buy the DR1 soon.
    Makes sense to stick to a single system, even if the system is not the greatest it's still good enough for the job at hand.
    Define what you mean by a 'better head'.
    Traditionally a better head would mean bigger heavier more sturdy more rigid, less likely to droop.. etc, but because you are implanting the head onto a monopod, all these virtues are going to be redundant!

There is a smaller light weight and cheaper 484/486 with an RC2 plate mount available, which I think will end up being the better head due to it's size and price.

There's is also a 490 series of ballheads of which the 496 series looks to be the new compact version(there's also a 498 model too). Have no idea on how good they are, never seen them in the wild.

Because of the nature of the monopod, in that it's not self supporting and used only to carry the weight of the camera lens combo and provide a very low level of stability support, having the best sturdiest head on it is not ideal. Weight size and any other factor like this is probably more important(such as price).

I've seen this 496 series with an RC2 system for about $120 at DDP.

If a ballhead is not your cuppa, then an alternative for a monopod may also be the pistol grip type of head such as the 322(which also comes in an RC2 plate setup) and at about $200.
    How the dynamics and ergonomics of a pistol grip on a monopod stack up is a complete unknown to me.

FWIW: I hated using a monopod .. saw no use for one(for me), but I only had one for a short time(borrowed) and before I got a 300/2.8 sized lens. tried it out for a few months with my 80-200/2.8 and found it was more annoying than anything else. if I wanted weight support a tripod(of which I have a few) felt more natural to use.
    So, in a technical sense, I'm the last person to be giving advice on what works on a monopod or not, I'm simply giving you some feedback on what's available(that I know of).

anyhow, hope this helps in some way.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit short on supplying info
    It would be good if the Head was also usable on the tripod holding a Canon 50D with Battery Grip and a 100-400 L i have been saving for.
    So in short, i would like to try a ball head that can support a fairly large setup without moving under the weight.

I will look into the 496.
    Cheers

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Head is obviously designed specifically for monopods and comes with the RC2 plate. It is less than $60.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ryan View Post

I will look into the 496.
    Cheers
    Aha! swapping heads around was the missing vital piece of info needed.

Note that a 498 is a better choice for the tripod tho!(if you end up liking the ballhead on a tripod ergonomics and want to replace the threeway head)

496 sized ballhead holding up and being stable and rigid for use with a 50D and 100-400 lens ... now that's pushing the envelope of experimentation!

I wouldn't expect too much in the way of results with that combo, so if you end up seeing a slight loss of IQ at middling to slower shutter speeds don't blame the head type .. size is everything when it comes to camera support.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i should keep the 3 way head for the 100-400Lens
    I have been bussy looking at the 498rc2 and finding prices - $138 including postage is about the best so far.
    I need something for the monpod as its too short with no head - around the 100mm of the ball heads should work fine, ( Peter thanks but that ones abit short and would like to try a ball on the tripod )
    and give me another option on the tripod ( with smaller lenses at least ? )
    Last edited by Allan Ryan; 11-09-2011 at 5:53pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used the sponsor link to Adorama and ordered the 498rc2
    wasn't the cheapest but not much in it anyway...
    now the waiting