I'm about to go on a one-week break to the Whitsundays - Airlie Beach, Hamilton Island, Whitehaven etc...

I'm taking a medium-sized backpack, ie one that I can take on board as hand luggage. I've spent most of the morning agonising over what lenses to bring... can't take them all due to both lack of space in the bag and weight.

Currently packed are:

17mm - will definitely be taking some UWA shots of tropical beaches. Automatic choice.

24-105 - general all purpose lenses. But how much will I really use it?

100mm macro - in case any macro opportunities present themselves. Also doubles as a make-do portrait lens.

70-200 & 1.4x - in case there's some telephoto captures to be had from the various boat trips we take whilst island hopping.

580 flash - if I'd still had my 7D, then I probably wouldn't be taking the flash. The 7D's on-board flash would have been good enough for the odd family shot at dinner etc. But now I don't really have a choice?

The bag is at stretching point with the above. Tempted to dump the 70-200 & 1.4x and 580 flash. Also tempted to add the 85mm, as there will no doubt be lots of lots of opportunities to shoot family portraits (but its very heavy and the 100m is a made do proxy).

Any suggestions from AP's members? Has anyone recently done this trip and found they'd had more use of certain lenses than others?

If anyone has any specific Whitsunday places that are a must for a photographer to visit, that would be appreciated too.