User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does pushing the processing affect file size?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all good, you gonna have to work a lot harder if you want to offend me!
    No it's a my own preset, I was just so confused as to what was going on and didn't want to be arrogantly igonrant, but thanks to Whodo's advice on exporting at each step it set me on the track of investigating someone else.
    I don't think I'm the latest and greatest, but at the same time it's reassuring that I have good file handling systems.

You guys are the best, don't ever change
    Just clowning around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    My software exports for web at 72dpi by default, and I have to be very careful to make sure I reset to print dpi when planning to actually produce hard copy or the resulting image can't be resized much without pixelation.
    Arthur is correct - the DPI has no effect on quality when you're saving/exporting: a 3000 X 2000 pixel image will print exactly the same whether it is set to 72DPI or 1200DPI on export. The only thing that will make your web exports pixelated is being reduced in pixel dimensions.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    Arthur is correct - the DPI has no effect on quality when you're saving/exporting: a 3000 X 2000 pixel image will print exactly the same whether it is set to 72DPI or 1200DPI on export. The only thing that will make your web exports pixelated is being reduced in pixel dimensions.
    Interesting comment. We are not talking about web exporting but PRINTING and dpi setting WILL impact on that with lower dpi resulting in pixellation when the image is upsized for larger prints. One of the complaints to the OP from the client was of pixellation on upsizing for printing.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2011 at 7:32am.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    We are not talking about web exporting but PRINTING...
    You were talking about exporting image files in the post I responded to.

The important thing for the OP, as far as this part of the issue goes at least, is that setting DPI when saving a file has no effect on file size or image quality. It's just a reference for other software to use for calculating how large a print could be made if it were to be made at that resolution. Print resolution is set at the time of printing - by your client in this case, so outside your control - and will override whatever is in the EXIF.

In terms of trying to move toward resolving the original issue, you can only guarantee the images you deliver, so if the images your client is having trouble with have been re-saved then they are no longer what you delivered and not your responsibility. This is not easy to get across if the person is not being rational. Good luck.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-09-2011 at 7:32am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna-blu View Post
    The 'tog then emailed saying that the image files were too small and pixellated when printed.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    You were talking about exporting image files in the post I responded to.
    I was responding to the fauxtog's complaint quoted above and offered the only explanation I could think of for the whole circumstances complained of, not just the assumption on the part of the fauxtog that file size was linked to pixellation .

You are correct that the file size doesn't change regardless of the dpi setting when exported. OTOH, as soon as you try to resize for printing, the 72dpi image will pixellate at larger sizes where the 300dpi may not ... depending upon how large a print you are after of course. I would NEVER try to upsize a 72dpi image for printing on, say, a large canvas regardless of the original pixel resolution.

Your claim that "a 3000 X 2000 pixel image will print exactly the same whether it is set to 72DPI or 1200DPI on export" is simply incorrect, Trying to print in a larger than native pixel size at 72 dpi = pixellation. That is what lead to my response to the OP about the dpi of the exported image.
    Last edited by WhoDo; 13-09-2011 at 7:37am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thankyou all very much for your help and suggestions, as always you were most kind and generous.
    The fauxtographer is now willing to accept some responsibility for what has happened, which is nice.
    But I think I've learned more from this than they have, onwards and upwards for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12