Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help Choosing Alienbee

Hey guys,

I've been using Speedlights for a a lil wow now and the main thing i've realized is that speedlights just don't cut it in alot of situations... I just need more power!!!

So the next logical step for me would be Strobes.

I've been browsing the alienbee range And tossing up between a few options -

AB800
    AB1600
    EINSTEIN

Basically i will be starting with the one Strobe and building up from there as i need/afford to.

I currently own a couple Dual layer umbrellas and a 28" Softbox with a 50" Softbox and Beauty Dish next on my purchase list.

Firstly excuse my ignorance but what are they differences between the AB1600 and EINSTEIN besides the LCD screen? I read that the EINSTEIN has better color consistency.

I would like to the ability to shoot at midday with those above modifiers so i'm guessing i will need the more powerful options ruling out the AB800?

So would the EINSTEIN be worth the extra $200? The Paul C. Buff "Aus Site" has the AB1600 priced @ $500 and the EINSTEIN priced @ $700 I will be matching the strobe with a vagabond mini.

Am i missing anything here? Any tips of things i need to know from other Alien Bee Owners

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestions

1. skip the AB800 - lacks the power and expansion for later on when you need more

2. I would go the AB1600 or the Einstein - the latter is great for high speed shots ala sports/action etc

3. the bigger the softbox the better the diffused light and better wrap-around light effect (less shadows etc) - but bigger softbox requires greater light source - hence I said to skip the AB800

4. I would invest in a large 150cm or 200cm Octabox instead of square/rectangular softboxes for better wrap around effect and more even light coverage. But it also depends on your own purposes for lighting. I have a 200cm Octabox coupled with 1000ws Bowens for commercial/editorial shoots, and switch to a smaller 120cm Octa for small/private shoots.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeap i was leaning towards the more powerful models.

Just reading about the Pro's/Con's of each Unit aka EINSTEIN VS AB1600

As far as i can tell the EINSTEIN is worth the extra $200 unless someone would like to add something I may be missing.

I tend to shoot on location a fair abit being able to shoot anytime during the day would be a big plus for me.

Also thanks for the tips on the Octobox, I haven't used one personally but will do some research

I've been reading about Beauty dishes and like the the type of light it puts out that would probably be the first modifier i would use with the strobe/s

cheers
    Last edited by disruptfam; 08-09-2011 at 2:50am.