Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Calibration Devices

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Monitor Calibration Devices

The best way to calibrate your monitor(s) for photography is to use a hardware calibration device. These devices are known as Colorimeters.

Below is a list of the calibration devices available with links to their manufacturers websites
    (if a member knows of any others, please feel free to add them to this thread)

Colorvision: http://spyder.datacolor.com/index_us.php
    Munki : http://www.colormunki.com/
    Eizo : http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...PIX/index.html
    LaCie : http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10154
    Pantone : http://www.pantone.com/pages/product...t.aspx?pid=562
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I actually have the Colourmunki and it works with all my equipment. I did try the Spider but it didn't seem to be as good with the process that the Munki did. I calibrate both my monitos as well as my printer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out that windows 7 has Built In Display Calibration and seemed to work ok, has anyone else tried it.
    Here is a link

http://makingwindowseasy.com/2011/05...r-calibration/
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 07-09-2011 at 11:26am.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Pantone Huey Pro which was also marketed as gretagmacbeth.

It is very easy to use and I get great colour match when I print via RGB in Brisbane and B&W here in Adelaide.

@DP The Win7 calibration is not electronic - it is just another manual method.
    This is more comprehensive... http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can not see this one on the list. I have the earlier model, i1display2, the pro is supposed to be better.
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Can not see this one on the list. I have the earlier model, i1display2, the pro is supposed to be better.
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1454
    xrite and colormunki seem to either be co-owned, have a partnership or some sort of trading/tech agreement, as you will find if you go to the Munki site in my first link and click photographers, it goes to an xrite page. So I didn't include xrite on its own. If anyone knows what the relationship is between these two, please feel free to post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just the kind of thread I've been looking for. I know I need to calibrate my monitors, (I would rate the built-in software utility in OSX as barely OK, I also hear the Win7 one provides much the same end-result) I just need to know which direction to take...

Anyone used multiple products and have a preference? I'm using a Dell 2408WFP for 99% of my work, but it would be great if I could match the 13" MBP colour reproduction (I think it's not quite possible without crippling the Dell). I may need a tool that can not only calibrate my screen(s) but help me set up some printing profiles as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this great post, did not know that such a hardware exisisted but now that you've pointed me in the direction will be looking into it as I've been wondering if my monitor was off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my Spyder 3 Express from eBay. Good price. My goodness my monitor looks SO much better. Only trouble is that all my images now look cool (White-Balance-wise not 'cool, man'). My monitor was a little warm so I now have to go through and re-whitebalance my images. The good thing about the Spyder is that they have the SpyderGallery app for iOS devices. I've callibrated my iPhone and PC display.

Happy.

*removed : please read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7. New members cannot promote commercial products/services, etc*
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-04-2012 at 8:26pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some reading on calibration devices and am probably no better than when I started. I settle on one device then read bad reviews and am back to where I started I want to buy a calibration tool so is there any new info/gained wisdom since this thread started?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    spyder's have recently been upgraded to version 4. I have the 3 Pro version and it works very well. In the end it really comes down to personal choice (like camera brands)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the SpyderPro 3 on my laptop and Desktop for 2 years now and have been very happy with it.
    It is easy to use and the results have been very good.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had decided to go with the spyder 4 till I read a review last week where the guy bought one and said it's awful and is returning it. But I guess with any product there is going to always be some people not happy and some issues with user error. Ok, I think I'm back to the spyder but my other debate was between elite and pro, probably best to just add a little more money and get the best.

Thanks guys!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillagirl View Post
    I had decided to go with the spyder 4 till I read a review last week where the guy bought one and said it's awful and is returning it. But I guess with any product there is going to always be some people not happy and some issues with user error. Ok, I think I'm back to the spyder but my other debate was between elite and pro, probably best to just add a little more money and get the best.

Thanks guys!
    my guess is he bought it, plugged it in, ran the software and probably did not read the instuctions etc. Things like setting brightness levels etc back to the default on the monitor before starting, or having the monitor on for at least 30 minutes so it warms up properly before undertaking a calibration. It is not as simple as turn computer on, install software and run it. Following the directions (which for some blokes is impossible) will lead to good results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the look of horror when I've suggested to some men to read the manual is quite funny I'm getting an IPS monitor as well, so that should help things along.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking od purchasing a Monitor calibration device, so far I think it's going to be a Spyder 4.

Good choice?

I've read that they can also calibrate an iPad....I was wondering how they would do this?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Thinking od purchasing a Monitor calibration device, so far I think it's going to be a Spyder 4.

Good choice?

I've read that they can also calibrate an iPad....I was wondering how they would do this?
    I have the Spyder 3 and it works well, however the new photographic quality Dell monitors are requiring the use of the X-Rite i1Display type calibrators and so it might be best to invest in one of those just in case you buy a photographic quality Dell monitor, which I highly recommend!
    Last edited by Lance B; 09-03-2013 at 3:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance is yours the Pro version that does multiple monitors?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Lance is yours the Pro version that does multiple monitors?
    I have the Spyder 3 Pro. Don't know about multiple monitors, though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my understanding (though I could be totally wrong) the express versions are for a single monitor and the Pro versions are for multiple monitors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast