Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 1DMkIII owners

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1DMkIII owners

Any 1D3 owners experienced a chronic err99 problem, with the mirror locking up and activating of its own accord? Mine has just gone back to Canon for the third time with this problem. It's really quite annoying.
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 05-09-2011 at 7:26pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1D3 and touch wood has no problem so far.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has around 150K activations and this is the first problem I've had with it too. Still at this number of activations, my 1DII was already on shutter #3, so that's an improvement.

I have no idea what is causing the problem. Let's hope Canon have better luck this time. They've already tried to fix it twice and returned it only for the problem to re-occur. I was just wondering whether anyone else has maybe had the same problem. Please don't post telling me you have 2 million activations and never had a problem. That's not the response I'm looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Snoopy,
    as you probably are aware there were some "well known" AF issues with the MKIII when it first came out. It was eventually determined to be "adjustment" problems with a component in the camera called the sub-mirror (a tiny mirror behind the main mirror that passes light down to the autofocus module in the base of the mirror box). There were some reports that your err99 problem was caused by this as well! Canon replaced these components under warranty (apparently it was limited to bodies with serial numbers between 501001 and 546561) and also updated firmware to ver. 1.1.3.
    Cheers
    John

EOS 1D MKIII x2, EOS 6D; Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, EF 17-40 4 L, EF 24-70 2.8 L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 2.8 L IS, EF 100 2.8 macro, EF 400 5.6 L, 1.4x II TC, EF25 ET; Speelite 580EX, 430EX; Nissin Di866II; Yongnuo YN560i/ii & YN460ii, YN622C's, RF602's; Gitzo GT3541XLS + Markins Q20i; Manfrotto 055XProB + Giottos MH1301; Manfrotto 680B c/w Kirk MPA-1; Tamrac Pro5, ThinkTank Airport Accelerator, Airport Antidote V2, Pro Speed Belt + Racing Harness + Modular Skin Set; Lightroom 5.3, Photoshop CS5.
    myflickr

Scarlet letters aren't that bad.. I rather like L

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John. Yes I was aware of that. Mine is outside that serial range, luckily. I read that this was a recall issue in the US, but Canon have replaced the solenoid and some other stuff trying to fix it without success so far. It is with them again right now. I hope it comes back fixed this time. Just wondered whether anyone else had seen the same issue on their copy.

I've seen some really dodgy stuff including having the damn mirror fall out of my 5D (fixed as a known issue for free by Canon). Makes you wonder why you're paying top dollar for some of this stuff. Like the dodgy foot on EXII speedlites and stuff like that.
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 09-09-2011 at 10:49am.