User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Minimum dpi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Minimum dpi

I am interested to know if you could print an image at 100dpi, so that when viewed at a distance of one metre, the image would be sharp and you could not make out each individual dot comprising the image.

I am basing this off my computer monitor which has 96dpi and when I view it at a distance of one metre, I can't see each individual pixel/dot making up the image.

I believe your ability to see each dot/pixel is determined by a 'circle of confusion' and the distance it is viewed at.

Is there a formula for this ?
    Canon 5D | BG-E4 battery grip | 17-40mm f/4L zoom | 50mm f/1.4 prime | 24-70mm f/2.8L zoom | 300mm f/4L IS prime | 1.4x III teleconverter| 580EX II flash | Velbon Sherpa 600n tripod | Lowepro Nova 3AW bag | Various Singh-Ray Filters

Wish List | 100mm f/2.8 macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, your usual word documents are printed in 72dpi

I read somewhere that the average human eye cannot see beyond 100dpi...most likely a lot less. I haven't printed at exactly 100dpi yet but I did blow up a 10MP group photo shot from my D80 to 75x50cm which...because of the size the density had to be lowered to 130-something dpi...even when viewed close up it looks pretty darn good and tack sharp from 1m+...

hope that helps a lil bit...
    My Gear
    Nikon D80
    Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
    Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO Macro DG AF HSM
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM
    SB-600 Speedlight
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    Tamrac Adventure 9

My

MyFotologue

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, go find a billboard and have a good close up look at it. It looks like a bunch of large pixels and doesn't really look like the image you see from a distance. Distance is the key here. Viewing it from afar (be it 5 metres or 50) will look better than viewing it from a few centimetres away.

Is there a formula? not sure, maybe send "thing" a PM as he is in the printing industry and might be able to enlighten you.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography