User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 150-500 f4.5-6.3 apo dg os hsm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think that the 400mm prime would be too limiting for the normal home user. Yes the 400 is an excellent lens. And if I was a pro sports TOG, or birder, it would be the most valuable lens in my kit.
    But as a hobbiest, one must weigh up the pro's and con's. A bit over $1,000 for the 150-500mm verses $9,000 - $11,000 for the 400mm (Fleabay)
    Is it going on a top of the pro range Canon/Nikon, or mid range body. Is the user needing high quality images to make a living. Or good quality images to show friends and family.
    The 150-500mm is a good lens, and it take some practice to get it to take good sharp images. (maybe not as sharp as the 400mm) And if your not taking 8fps with AF-C or 3000 images a game to sell to some sports magazine. It would be a good lens.

Here is an example. A Sea Eagle doing its in flight business.
    _LIG0970.jpg
    Last edited by geoffsta; 26-09-2011 at 8:56am.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, that's soft too

I agree with you re relative value, but dont assign the use of exotic primes like the 400, 500 or 600 just to "pros"

There are LOTS of pure hobbyists here than own $6-$10000 lenses that dont earn a bean shooting birds etc using them....its not for the money it's for the clarity and knowing that you are taking the best quality shots you can

There is a certain point where nothing else actually matters
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Yip, that's soft too
    I'd have to agree with that and the same applies to the other images above. There is a point where the end result doesn't justify the expense. Obviously our individual tolerances for that point are all different.

BTW, shooting a bird on a blue sky is not the same as shooting sport where the action moves across a more varied and contrasty background.
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 26-09-2011 at 10:31am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    I'd have to agree with that and the same applies to the other images above.
    Looking at the sample images, they are ALL shot at full stretch 500mm (precisely). My experience with Sigma lenses, including a borrowed Bigma, is that you need to back off from the max at either end to get the best results for sharpness. Given the price of these for the average shooter, like me, they are an excellent compromise. I see no problems in using the lens in the 170mm - 450mm range for maximum clarity. You're still going to get pretty darn good images over distance at a much easier to swallow price point.

I don't know about anyone else but $1.5k plus is well beyond my limited budget as a hobbyist, regardless of how "serious" I am about that. I'd sooner move up to a better sensor (Pentax K-5, Nikon D7000) than spend that money on a single lens. Maybe when I've got my better sensor then I can consider saving for more reach in a prime. Until then, the choices are very, VERY limited. JMHO.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good thing about this thread for the threadstarter, is now he/she can weigh up the pros and cons. Whether they can afford or justify high quality verses good enough for their needs. Whether they just use it at 500mm or bring it back to 150mm or in between. Fixed focal length lenses are always going to be quicker, sharper and a whole lot better. As you Darren display in every image you post.
    But it all comes down to dollars and cents and justification in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. I never stop telling aspiring sports shooters to start witha sigma 70-200 HSM 2.8 as it represents great value for money, same applies here without doubt.

But the results here

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...in-camera-gear

Suggest to me that there are plenty of us here at AP who do spend the big bucks on big pro lenses, and the IQ across the range is why
    Last edited by kiwi; 26-09-2011 at 11:16am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased this lens on Sat and used it for the first time yesterday. I already have a 70-200 2.8 and T/C. This was bought purely for birding and at less than $1000 ($939 from DCW with local 2 yr warrenty). I am intially very happy with it.

It is a mssive lens compared to what I am used to. It is heavy and cumbersome. I had it on a monopod, but struggled with shots into the air.

Anyhow, with my first proper go, I am pretty happy with it. My best shot from yesterday.

BIrds-6 by australianminiadventure, on Flickr

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that value for money is not a quantitative measure, but rather a qualitative measure. I often see people on this site saying that the 150-500 is a great lens. I don't think is from looking at the images, but of course it is still better than many other lenses around the place. It would certainly be better than the OP's 55-250. I doubt it would be better than the 100-400L. Even the EF400 f5.6 would be better in terms of sharpness and AF speed. Investments are best made in glass IMHO. Bodies become obsolete fairly quickly these days. At some stage you are going to question why you spent lots of money buying a heap of so-so lenses when you could have bought a top-quality lens first up and just enjoyed it, but....each to his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a lot out of how to use mine properly here, a lot of reading but some great tips and some very impressive images.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's alright saying you must have a $2000+ lens to do what you want but many of us can't afford and most likely never will own these high priced lenses and I get tired of people telling me you can,t do that with that cheap lens, I find this a very elitist attitude. I and a lot of people I have taken photos for with my inferior lenses are very happy with the shots.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think anyone said that Keith, I think I and other people have said that the sigma zooms lenses are bloody good value for money, and it's an important consideration for most.

Its not elitist, I just "needed" an expensive lens for what I do and simply the alternatives just didnt cut the mustard (for me).

The fact is that a $1000 lens cant and wont in general match the iq of a $10000 lens, youre right - does the generic public notice or care - no, not most of the time.

do "we" care ? I think so.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're entitled to express your opinion Keith. I've seen some great work from you and so I appreciate your skills and value your opinion. However the photo you posted above is not your best, and I'm sure you'd agree. That is just me expressing my opinion. No disrespect intended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a photo of a mates son playing sport a while ago with the bigma. Printed it out on A4 photo paper with my reasonablely good printer, then took it over to him.
    The next day the boy went to town, bought a fairly good frame, then hung it proudly above his trophies in his bedroom.
    Yes a more expensive lens may have been better. But when weighing up between divorce or a kids smile, I think the smile wins.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice story Geoff, but does it say anything about the lens? The point I have been pushing here is that there are better lenses around at a price. Some are a little more expensive and some are a lot more expensive. Some are a little better, and some are a lot better. Do you disagree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have iphone pics ive hung at a4 too

the discussion is this

is the 150-500 a great lens - no - a great lens is say a 600 f/4
    is the 150-500 a great lens for the money - maybe
    is the 150-500 a good lens for the money - definately

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I also have iphone pics ive hung at a4 too

the discussion is this

is the 150-500 a great lens - no - a great lens is say a 600 f/4
    Why do people keep harping on about comparing one lens that is 10 times more expensive than another? That wasn't the question at all nor is it the answer.

Just to remind everyone, the thread is NOT "is the 150-500 a great lens", the question was "Has anyone seen played with or used this lens."

Those that actually do have the Sigma 150-500mm lens most likely consider it a great lens because like any tool, they have learnt to use it and get great photos while using it. A $20 Holga lens that you can buy for your Nikon or Canon is a great lens if you know how to use it.

Maybe people should restrict their comments to equimpment they actually have and recount their own experiences.
    Last edited by peterb666; 27-09-2011 at 12:47am.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise I was harping, I thought we were having a discussion on lenses. Someone else said it was a great lens as good as a exotic, not me

But yeah, not owned one, just a 50-150, 120-300, 150 sigmas, so I can but out re the Bigma

Sorry to "harp"

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry If I came across a bit abrupt Darren & Snoopy but I was a bit fired up after a phone call from a mate in Melbourne this morning. He was in the local camera shop looking to buy his first DSLR. A bit of background, he suffered a major stroke a few years ago and has little use of his left arm, he has been using p&s cameras for many years and has been talking DSLR for a couple of years now. Last Christmas he had a play with my 400D and liked the feel of that but had a problem with zooming. We regularly talk on the phone and a couple of months ago he decided he was going to bite the bullet and get the DSLR. I suggested he go to the local camera shop and try a few different models for feel, he narrowed it down to either the 1100D or the 600D twin lens kit. We discussed this on the phone and I suggested he get the body only and a 18-250 sigma so back to the shop to talk turkey but as soon as he mentioned the 18-250 he was told that was a useless lens by both the sales person and a customer who said he was a pro? wedding photographer. He rang me from the shop about this and I asked him to put the salesperson on, I asked him if he had ever used one. Not surprisingly the answer was no from both, they both said if he wanted good photos he should get the 70-200 f4 at least, and a 24-105. I asked them if they had noticed that he had little use of his left arm and changing lenses would be very awkward, the reply was zooming would be impossible for him too. I informed them that I had this lens on my 7D and was making an arm to attach to the zoom ring so he could operate the zoom with his right middle finger. He then just handed the phone back to my mate who then left the shop with the parting words "You have just lost a sale."
    Keith.
    Ps I agree that footy photo wasn’t the best as it was at full stretch which when going through my shots I have very few at 500mm. this one at 186mm is a better example.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Speedway; 27-09-2011 at 12:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem Keith, I agree you shouldn't judge a lens by it's cover, latest shot looks sharp as a tack.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem Keith. Superzooms get a bad rap sometimes. I have two which I mentioned above. The Bigma (50-500) and the Canon 28-300. Both are adequate lenses. Sorry to hear about your friend's experience. Salespeople are there to sell though, and they obviously try to steer people towards the best margin. That's what sales commissions achieve are designed to encourage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast