User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Difference 580ex and 580exII?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference 580ex and 580exII?

Whats the difference between the 580ex and the 580exII....?

I already have a 430exII
    I want 2 good flashes then if I want more after that I'll probably just buy a Yongnuo or another 430exII.

Can buy a 580exII for about $450

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EXII is the newer version.
    A 580EX would be a couple of years old by now.
    $450 delivered sounds about right too.

Don't discount some of the cheaper flashes as some are very good and some of them can also do things the factory flashes can't, like being able to work as a true slave flash without any wireless or cable connection.
    For the price of a 580EXII, you could buy 2 cheaper flashes that are about as powerful as the Canon, and work with the Canon's ETTL system perfectly.

Don't think I'm Canon bashing though, as I also have a 580EXII and think it is wonderful, but I also have another cheap flash that works really well and cost me a quarter of the cost of the Canon (although it is more equal to the 430 in power, but great as a side-light).
    Last edited by Bennymiata; 01-09-2011 at 8:14pm.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought there was only a couple of differences
    but there's quite a few, check this out : http://photo-tips-online.com/review/...anon-580ex-ii/
    $450.00 is not a bad price for one
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my 580EXII flash on ebay recently because i heard it was going to be replaced soon, and i have a 430 so i'm not without a flash.
    somehow i sold it for more than i can buy a new one, haha, got to love ebay.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macdog View Post
    Whats the difference between the 580ex and the 580exII....?
    The one significant difference (for me) is the MkII will “auto cut out” due to overheating when shooting on the hop (usually pumping out a lot of Flash Fill) at a quick paced Function or Wedding, the 580EX is far more durable in this regard.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool cool thanks guys, now I'm thinking ill just buy 2 Yongnuo 565's and trigger all of of them (2x 565s and my 430exII) with the RF-602 triggers. The 565's are $150 each posted from ebay

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    The one significant difference (for me) is the MkII will “auto cut out” due to overheating when shooting on the hop (usually pumping out a lot of Flash Fill) at a quick paced Function or Wedding, the 580EX is far more durable in this regard.

WW
    Don't bet on it! I fried a 580EXII last January. Uneconomical to repair. The Zenon tube and two circuit boards. The loosening screws in the foot are a pain in the arse too. The 430EX I have gets the same treatment and never a problem. I hope the replacement 580EXII is better than the first one.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    Don't bet on it!
    I guess you are referring to the "auto cut out".
    Hmm - not happy - very annoying.

I haven't fried mine, but I have a colleague who did and she finally traded one of her 580II’s for a 580.
    It is not relevant if one doesn't require that pressure on the flash.

Can you describe the circumstances you fried yours?

My Flash cut out using Flash Fill on a bright day and the flash was pumping really hard and regularly during a busy time.
    After I investigated, I found other Photographers had a similar experience.
    What do now is (I carry two cameras anyway) cycle the cameras so the flash gets a "rest".

WW

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I can William. I was doing a wedding and had got to the reception part of the day. I was shooting dancing and was using the 580EXII to shoot continuous shots. The damn flash had been coming out of ETTL all day because of the screws in the foot loosening and breaking contact with the hotshoe. It was giving me random full-power flashes amongst the series of shots I was taking. January here is very, very hot and humid. The 580EXII let out a pop and then wouldn't flash. It still had life though. I could access the menu and stuff, just couldn't get it to flash. I was shooting the same stuff with the 430EX on another body at the same time. That flash was fine, and still is. I hadn't worried about blowing the 580EXII becuase like you, I figured the cot-out would kick in if it got too hot.

That didn't happen. It fried itself instead.

The only reason I bought another one instead of another 430EX was because the 430 won't shoot as a master.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, when I do a wedding I usually have four bodies available...to be sure....lol Here's how to fix the foot issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk9wg3B2w8

Canon should fix this!
    Last edited by camerasnoop; 02-09-2011 at 4:52pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    I was doing a wedding and had got to the reception part of the day. . . etc
    Thank you. My friend's fried during HSS. (Wedding) Outside Flash Fill Bright day on a boat. But she was shooting rapidly. The other "frying episodes" I've read about have been continuous shooting - dancing etc - like yours.
    It seems the common element is the rapidity of firing - that's what I have read elsewhere also - also, my friend and I postulate it is worse (more likely to happen) if one is using an external power pack, because the recycle time is slightly quicker.
    Once my 580MkII cut out once: I have been careful ever since. Yes I understand about needing a master. If I had the time over I would have bought two 580 (originals) first up. My 580 (original) is still going strong - much like your 430, I expect.
    Thanks for the details, accumulated experience, is valuable.

WW

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using a CP-E4 at the time too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)