User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  45
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photos in the media that shouldn't have made the "cut".

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulitzer Prize Winner.........

It's not the quality (that's a bonus), it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks to all for taking such a great intrest in my photograph!!!

I would like to point out that I know this is not my best pic that I have ever taken. But before you charge me with a crime against photography. I would like to point out that the orginal photograph had two other people in the frame and this is a large crop done by the web team, I have no idea why they picked it. I admit I should have picked up on the fact the subjects face was slightly out of focus but I didn't. I also want to point out that another pic was run in the paper which was sharp.

I do find it amusing I @ M, that you are getting worked up over a pic that was on theaustralian.com.au for two days to go with a story that was really minor. But hey its a free country. If you want to check out any of my other work feel free to go to www.fotostrada.com

Oh by the way its Mr Kelly Barnes, don't worry have be called she all my life.

Good shooting
    Kelly

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kelly, thanks for taking the time to drop in and post on the subject.
    Firstly, my thread was never meant as purely an attack on yourself or the publishing journal in particular. It just happened that it was your photo in that on line publication that caught my eye that day, it could well just as easily been a photo taken by someone else in a paper or on a website owned by a different organisation. As for me "getting worked up" as you put it, I am certainly not particularly, stressed, hot under the collar or worked up over it.
    As I mentioned in a thread above, this is a photographic forum and images and the quality ( or lack of ) of them tend to be discussed and as the title of the thread suggests it was all about whether images that aren't shining examples of the craft should make it into the public domain.
    I am certainly not suggesting that one particular photo is a representative of your abilities as history proves otherwise.

Maybe I shouldn't make any posts on any photographic subjects that don't provide warm and fuzzy feelings for everyone.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AP is here to discuss photography, good and bad. Members are free to discuss anything they wish (within the site rules). I @ M has stuck to discussing the photo, and not attacked or charged you with any crime against photography, Kelly. The media are good at being critical of others, and therefore they, and those in the media, should be willing to accept criticism themselves, even in such blunt form as they do so at times. I @ M has merely raised an issue regarding photos in the media and used yours as an example.

Interesting that you feel Kelly, that people are getting worked up over an article in the Australian. Isn't that the goal of the media these days, create discussion, get people expressing opinions, let them discuss what is presented on print, on radio, and screen? This is exactly what I @ M has done with this thread, and it is an interesting read.

So Kelly, perhaps you can enlighten us more regarding the selection process for photos that accompany stories, etc. After all the more information people are given, the more they understand. So lets continue this interesting discussion further.

Hope we get to see you stick around, here on AP, and get involved.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-09-2011 at 1:11pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyBarnes View Post
    T...... I would like to point out that the orginal photograph had two other people in the frame and this is a large crop done by the web team, I have no idea why they picked it. I admit I should have picked up on the fact the subjects face was slightly out of focus but I didn't. I also want to point out that another pic was run in the paper which was sharp.
    I think this part was a 99.99% dead certainty in that the editorial staff had made the mistake.

... I do find it amusing I @ M, that you are getting worked up over a pic that was on theaustralian.com.au for two days to go with a story that was really minor.......
    I know Andrew(and his partner Deb quite well, and I can assure you he(they) don't really 'get worked up'.
    Kelly, if someone has alerted you to this thread and that the originator of the thread(being Andrew in this case) has gotten worked up over the offending image, then they have stirred you up over nothing really.

I'm now curious, as the person responsible for the image, do you feel well represented by this media outlet in having placed your name to this image?
    Do you feel as tho the image should have been used , or not?

Just curious to know where the standards of the media lie.
    What's your take on the level of standards in the media where images are concerned. Is quantity a more pressing need over quality? ... etc.

being a photography centric site, our interest is really only targeted at images and not journalism per se.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atky View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying Kelly isn't a good photographer, Steve. The discussion is about what what is acceptable in the media, not about Kelly's work in general

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly to Andrew, my appolioges if I offended you with the "worked up" comment. To me it not that big of a deal and only found out about this forum because someone twitted me about it. And thought I would drop in a line just to let you know the story.

What you have to understand is that when it comes to web pictures, our web team grabs which ever pic they want. Do i feel it should have been used, No not the way it was cropped especially when I had tighter shots. Do I feel I am well represnted by The Australian for putting my name on the pic? Yes, It is one pic that is slightly forward focus and I would be more worried if it was a front page pic, but then the Pic Editior would have asked if I had a sharp pic.

Quality is always over quanity, but like I said in my orginal post this one slipped through, You just have to get on with shooting the next pic.

Cheers
    Kelly

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.ruralmediasa.com/winners.html

FYI Mark Brake is a friend of mine, and it turns out Kelly is on the list as well.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123