Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Lack of IS

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lack of IS

ive been taking a look at lenses lately, and noticed that the high end and the more focal length is nvolved, the higher the chance of IS being included. For example, the following lenses don't list IS:

EF 70-200 F4L USM
    EF 70-200 F2.8L USM
    EF 200 F2.8L USM
    EF 400 F5.6L USM
    EF 24-70 F2.8L USM

Not looking at one of the lenses in particular, just unsure why IS isn't offered with these lenses. I would have thought they would need it due to the focal length.

Anyone know why this is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price!
    There are very similar focal lengths available with IS, but they cost a lot more.
    Sometimes this also means the optics are a bit better, hence the higher price.

If you are using any one of these lenses handheld in good light and using fast shutter speeds, then IS isnt really a requirement, although the 400mm lens would be very difficult to use without IS if you are hand holding, but as most of the work done by this lens would be on a tripod, not having IS is a mute point.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    If you are using any one of these lenses handheld in good light and using fast shutter speeds, then IS isnt really a requirement, although the 400mm lens would be very difficult to use without IS if you are hand holding, but as most of the work done by this lens would be on a tripod, not having IS is a mute point.
    difficult if using to photograph low light scenes, but used for sport in bright daylight, even on crop sensor (640mm effective) it's not that important (shutter speeds around 1/800s or more seem to be enough in my experience)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found a couple that have IS versions, but not all do. I thought maybe there was a reason in certian lenses
    Last edited by Fedgrub; 31-08-2011 at 4:49pm.

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i think Canon offers these lenses without IS to keep the price down, just offering people more choice. I have the 70-200mm f2.8 II and granted with good light the IS is not required but for maximum useability IS for me where possible as you are not always in a situation where good available light is available.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 70-200 non IS 2.8.. it's BRILLIANT! If in low light, I use my tripod or monopod hasn't been a problem yet! sheesh.. what did people do BEFORE IS was available on lenses??
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yummymummy View Post
    I have the 70-200 non IS 2.8.. it's BRILLIANT! If in low light, I use my tripod or monopod hasn't been a problem yet! sheesh.. what did people do BEFORE IS was available on lenses??
    have less keepers. Now we have much more keepers than ever before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    I've found a couple that have IS versions, but not all do. I thought maybe there was a reason in certian lenses
    The older versions of the lenes do not have IS. I believe canon will incorporate IS into all the newer lenses, ie. there won't be a non-is version in the future. It is possible when the lenses were released IS did not exist (such as the old 300, 400mm f/2.8 lenses) or IS eas too expensive due to being new technology to incorporate in the lenses. Eg. the 70-200 f/4 non IS came out in 99, the first lens with IS was 95.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7