User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Issues with Flickr Upload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with Flickr Upload

I recently noticed that when ever I upload any of my pictures to flickr they tend to desaturate a little. I was wondering if anyone else had the issue and if yes how did they get around it.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dwarak,

Yes, I did notice this on a recent post, but I haven't pursued it yet.

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the past I have conversed with Flickr and Photobucket regarding this. They have both confirmed with me that 'minor' adjustments are likely, especially that they 'may' resize photos to ensure it keeps a cap on their bandwidth. Photobucket stated that they might adjust a file-size by about 10%.

When you consider the bandwidth usage these two sites would use up, even a 10% saving can be a big amount in $$$. Ausphotography trasmits about 270GB a month, I pay for this. So when you look at the size of Flickr and Photobucket, if they can even save a few % on bandwidth, it translates to decent savings on cost.

So they may be making 'minor' adjustments in other areas too, if they have found a way to do so, and minimise their costs.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ONLY way to ensure Flickr images are true is to use the original option
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could also be an issue with the colour profile you're using when editing the photo, as some browsers aren't particularly good at using embedded colour profiles.

Do you get similar results if you drag one of your images on your PC into a browser, vs viewing the same image in an image editing application?
    If so, then it confirms the issue is caused by colour profiles.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a similar issue. As mpot pointed out it was a colour profile problem. I had accidentally changed the output colour profile in Lightroom to something other than sRGB, so when viewing the files on Flickr they looked a bit washed out. (This is not actually anything to do with Flickr but relates to the browser through which you view Flickr).

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the info. checked the exif the color profile used was Adobe RGB i prob should change it to SRGB in PS5 I use Camera Raw to process and then transfer to PS5 to add filters in needed. Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never noticed a problem with the images I have uploaded to Flick but I will take a closer look in future.
    Ray Allen.

Pentax K10D, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, Tamron Di LD Macro 70-300, Tamron SP Di II 10-24, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, Asahi Pentax SP1000, assorted Super-Takumar & SMC screw-mount lenses. Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head, 680B Monopod + 234RC Head.
    Software used: PS CS3 Extended/CS5 Extended, ACR 6.3, Lightroom 3.3, NIK Software plug-ins, FastStone 4.2, ACDSee 10, SilverFast Ai.
    My Flickr Images | My Web Site | Owner of Yahoo! Spotmatic Group
    For 350+ blood/plasma donations to Red Cross

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do get a change in contrast etc if you don't use sRGB. I almost always forget to output to the lower spec colour space for the Internet. It shouldn'd be an issue if images are not altered however these systems resize and recompress images for display so stuff up the colour space.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI