User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Dell Inspiron 15R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dell Inspiron 15R

Does anyone know much about the Dell Inspiron 15R? This is the combo I'm going for ($800):
    http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellsto...iron-15r-n5110

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor (2.3GHz base, up to 2.9GHz,Dual Core,4T,3MB L3)
    15.6" (39.6cm) HD WLED True-Life (1366x768)
    4GB (1 X 4GB) 1 DIMM DDR3 1333Mhz
    640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - 1GB

Then I'm going to the parts store and buying a 2gb or 4gb Ram stick to whack in to the laptop. Boost it to 6gb/8gb Ram!
    http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/c...mfgpid=2769850

I just want something I can use Lightroom, Photoshop, etc on. But that's it. Not a gaming machine.

My home computer I built 2 or 3 years ago, and it's been what I've done all my graphics work on. Photo editing, video editing, etc.

It's a QuadCore, 1gb graphics, 4gb Ram and hasn't caused me any problems with editing.
    I get a little lag with Lightroom, basically no lag with Photoshop CS4, and a little lag when doing Premiere and AfterEffects.
    I'm running Windows 7 64bit too.

I decided that 15.6" is the ideal size of screen I want, 17" screen is too big for what I want (based on what my dad just bought), and anything smaller is of no use to me.

The XPS 15z would be perfect, but at $1300-1600 it's too much.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that 6-8GB of RAM also to run a 64-bit operating system? Otherwise, why would you need that much?
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-08-2011 at 8:04pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My personal thoughts are that using a laptop as a serious photo editing computer is not the way to go. The screens are generally the cheapest tech (see this thread). If you are serious about your photos and editing, upgrade your desktop system.
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-08-2011 at 9:04pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    My personal thoughts are that using a laptop as a serious photo editing computer is not the way to go. The screens are generally the cheapest tech (see this thread). If you are serious about your photos and editing, upgrade your desktop system.
    Or still have an upgraded laptop but hook it up to a good external monitor

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I forgot to mention, this won't be a replacement for my desktop machine. My desktop machine copes just fine for when I'm at home.

This will be a "on the move" machine, something I can carry in a bag or store in the car, and edit photos on if I need. Because I spend a lot of time away from my own house, and more often at a friends place or out elsewhere travelling around, I figured this would be a good affordable option if I needed to call upon it.

There are more beefer machines, but I'd rather NOT spend $1300-1600 on a machine if I don't really have to. So if I can make do editing in Photoshop/Lightroom on this machine for a cheap budget price, It'd be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Is that 6-8GB of RAM also to run a 64-bit operating system? Otherwise, why would you need that much?
    Am.
    Yup, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Last edited by Tommo224; 31-08-2011 at 12:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    My personal thoughts are that using a laptop as a serious photo editing computer is not the way to go. .
    I would say this would depend on if you use a laptop/notebook or a desktop replacement laptop/notepad. We run laptops at work for surveyors to use all their software and they crush the data pretty darn good. Keep in mind though I'm talking $6k up of laptop here as well.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo224 View Post

Yup, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Specs say Win7 HP(Home Premium) which is not Professional!
    Can't remember each and every detail difference, but I do remember back when I got my Win7 Pro, there were a couple of detail differences that made Pro the more compelling OS to have.
    I also recently purchased a copy of Win 7 Ultimate too(which I'm yet to install, and keeping it 'in reserve') and apparently the only difference from Pro to Ultimate is this Bitlocker drive feature, which secures data from prying eyes, if ever the hard drive fell into the hands of the enemy! (LOL!)

SO if you were expecting Win Pro, just makes sure that it's available as an option.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard is W7 Home, but you can upgrade for $30/$60 to Pro that's what I'd be doing You can also update to Ultimate, however I'm not sure if I'll bother!

I just think as a good secondary machine, these laptops would be good value

At the moment the top spec Inspiron (i7, 8gb ram, 1gb graphics, etc) is on sale for $999