User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: macro accessories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macro accessories

So I think I need a 4 way rail?? I have looked on fleabay and am pretty sure that's what I am after......so is there much difference between them all ( discounting the squillion $ jobbies ) I can see 2 basic set ups, the ones made in China and the Velbon ones made in china The camera and lens weigh pretty heavy.....I have a sturdy tripod already but I imagine the rails need to be pretty sturdy as well.....hmm is it payweek this week or next
    cheers
    Jan

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macro rails seem to be very much like tripods in so much as you get what you pay for and in the same way as tripods, once you have bought 2 cheap ones before you buy the one that does the job you realise that you could have saved quite a bit of money spending the extra in the first place.

If you are sure that you are going to be addicted to macro work, wait for another couple of pay weeks and spend more money on better quality now rather than later.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your probably right Andrew....I should buy right the first time.....its very hard when you don't get the chance to play with your toys before you hand over your hard earned cash Any recommendations on brands?
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan

I have a 4 way slide from China, Link delight, just looked them up direct at www.linkdelight.com Priced at $53.53. Plus I would imagine postage.

Have been happy with the unit, all metal save for the knobs which are plastic.

Movement is 5 cm each sideways and approx 10cm forward or back. Very precise.

Pentax Pete (Geoff)
    Last edited by Pentax Pete; 29-08-2011 at 11:44pm. Reason: Incorrect measurements

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Andrew's advice.

From most of my research, there are really only two high quality manufacturers of these devices that make the most sense. Novoflex or RRS.
    Highly expensive stuff tho.
    The RRS is slightly cheaper doing the same thing as the equivalent Novoflex gear, and it's a well designed modular system. But you need to get a better tripod too, and a more expensive model with Arca Swiss plate system.

It's always the small amount of excess play in the system that you can't feel or see that's the problem, and it usually makes for a confounding experience.

You would be surprised at what constitutes a 'sturdy' tripod(which also includes the head as well too!).

Also Jan you said 4 way rail?? Do you mean a two way rail/focusing system, that allows movement in two directions, but for each direction that allows a further tow ways too?(hence 4 way!)
    They are technically speaking two way rails, the number of slide adjustments is measured in terms of x, y and z axes or planes, not the direction of each plane.
    That is, a single side (or cross) ways rail is a single x rail, and a single fore-aft rail is a single y rail. A rail that allows both x and y movements that is, sideways and fore/aft adjustment, is a two way rail x,y rail. I'm not sure if a z rail exists specifically for macro tho?? You can get panorama heads that allow for all x,y,z movements, but they are not the precision geared type, and only allow the placement of the camera and lens along many planes for capturing panorama images.

I suspect the obstacle you're faced with, is that to get into these higher end brands, you may also need to get a 'better' tripod system, or at least a very good one with arca swiss release plates. That's what all the top end systems use.
    (what tripod are you using?)

I think, for the sake of maintaining your sanity, a cheapo ebay rail may be required for the short term, with a long term view to one of the higher end products.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hooley dooley they expensive toys! I think the middle range fleabay will see me right at least for the moment....I have a quite old and very heavy manfrotto tripod with an extremely heavy older 3 way pan and tilt head on it. Its perfect for shooting on carpet. It would undoubtably take the arca swiss system but that may have to wait until I win Lotto.