Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Internet Security SUCKS!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Norton Internet Security SUCKS!

I have just spent quite a bit of the weekend trying to resolve an issue with a friend's computer. They had done a factory restore on it, to clean it up and from the moment it re-started it would not access the net.

So they brought it over to my place, set it up and sure enough it wouldn't access the internet. We tried LAN cable, wireless etc and nothing. The Windows 7 troubleshooting would tell us that the network was running but that for an 'unknown' reason could not access www.microsoft.com

I tried everything I knew to resolve it and it had me scratching my head until whilst looking at advanced options in Windows firewall, I found that all connections were being blocked, but I could not turn that off. A google and I found the answer. Norton's Internet Security was part of the factory restore, but even though it had not been 'activated' and set-up on the computer, it was controlling aspects of the system. Whilst I was trying to resolve the connection issue, Norton's popped up a couple of times asking me if I wanted to install it and that I did not have any active security on the PC. I just closed it down, cause once I resolved the internet connection, I had planned to put AVG on this computer.

So I uninstall Norton's and straight away the internet connects...hmmm

Norton's wasn't my favourite set of applications before, but now that I have found that even if it isn't set-up and activated, it takes control of some aspects of a computer it is on, then it has moved to being even further down the heap of junk applications.

Glad I solved the issue, but for an application that wasn't even activated, from factory, Norton's is insidious and I would never recommend it to anyone.

*Rant Over*
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never liked nortons on my computers, always used AVG and never had a problem.
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yummymummy View Post
    I've never liked nortons on my computers, always used AVG and never had a problem.
    Me either, but cause this hadn't been setup, I didn't expect it to be controlling the computer. The fact that it popped up a couple of times asking if I wanted to install it and that my computer wasn't protected, but at the same time it was controlling the internet access, really isn't a good way for software to be deployed. Norton's might as well be a virus!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I....

Glad I solved the issue, but for an application that wasn't even activated, from factory, Norton's is insidious and I would never recommend it to anyone.

*Rant Over*
    My ex mother in law used to drive me nuts with her insistence on installing it. Well .. maybe no her insistence, but more so the Uni that she worked at insisted that she did.

Anyhow, I used to use NOD.. one of the best I ever used, but they upped their pricing a while back, and I heard OK things about M$'s AV software.

Never had any issues with NOD, until it was time to pay for the license again(UI used to go for the 2 year license), but I thought I'd trial M$'s Security Essentials, and as it's free, why not?

Brilliant .. in that it works, and I have no viruses!(other than the virus that is Windows )

just joking. If you want free, try out Security Essentials.
    From past experience, NOD is one of, if not the best paid for software that I've known(which is not all that many to be honest).
    I've tried a few other freebies like Avast, or whatever it was called, and removed it fairly quickly, and then settled on Security Essentials.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes!! that happened on my sons computer! kept asking to install it on there, thank god I had enough sense to put AVG on it then.. I wouldn't have known what to do lol

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear your pain.

I don't run Windows, but if I did, would never run that horrid application (and I never did when I ran Windows). I would trust a used car salesman before I'd trust Norton Internet Security.

I had to once fix someone's computer which had been infected with Norton Internet Security.

The 'fix' was to format the drive and re-install everything. I strongly advised the victim to never use Norton Internet Security again.

I'm really not convinced that these so-called security applications are of any benefit. Based on my limited experience with Norton Internet Security, the 'cure' was worse than the disease.

There are more practical, more sane approaches to security which don't cost money and don't turn a perfectly good computer into an expensive paperweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    norton is the first thing to go, avast is a very good alternative
    canon 5D mark III tamron 24-70 2.8 vc, 50mm 1.8, tamrom 70-200 2.8 vc, remote tripod
    perseverance

Rob

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree, but I wasn't concerned about it being there cause as it wasn't 'installed' I never considered it would be actually doing stuff on the system. My plan was to get the net working and then install AVG, then delete Norton's. But Mr Norton had other ideas about how his software should interact with windows before it was even set-up.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rick

Yeah mate ... join the club [sorry - you already have...]
    Before I sacked myself and took to the highways & byways, I earned most of my quits from the IT world
    I had so many problems with Nortons & their products [and all well documented at the time], I would go so far as putting it into writing to my clients 'not' to install their products and 'not' to use their products

As others above have reiterated - there are many alternatives most if not all provide complete coverage ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used pc cillan for years and have not had a problem
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a prob with Norton 360.

A up until a few years ago, I was running with AVG until it started conflicting with everything under the sun.

I hear good things about Kaspersky and so-so about McAfee (from a couple of computer engineer nerds I know).

Not saying I would recommend Norton but, I would avoid AVG like the plague.

Then again, this is just another version of Nikon / Canon; Ford / Holden

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first windows computer 1998 had nortons factory installed and it seemed to work ok, that is till i took out the 2nd 12 months subscription and no matter what I tried it wouldn't work, Nortons customer service were useless and after a lot of drama them telling me my computer was badly infected and this was my fault, they even tried to tell me that formatting the HDD would not get rid of the infection, I informed them that all their emails were in the hands of my solicitor. They then gave me a refund. I have never used nortons again. I have used AVG free for many years now without 1 infection so I see no reason to change.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton's had a great suite of applications until they were taken over by Symantec. The rot started there IMHO. I also advise everyone I know to leave Norton's out of their stable of software apps.

Best, and safest, product going around at the moment is Avira. AVG is starting to attract some serious hackers since it's become so popular. Avira is the least intrusive protection I've found, yet it still protects and does it with aplomb. Haven't had an infection since installing it a couple of years ago on both XP and Vista machines.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Norton's had a great suite of applications until they were taken over by Symantec. The rot started there IMHO. I also advise everyone I know to leave Norton's out of their stable of software apps.
    Yes, Norton software was good back in the old days when the packaging featured a photo of Peter Norton standing with his arms folded.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked a 2ple of computer stores (people I know) and they say that Norton's isn't as *words for good, useful, like it used to be years ago*. Two of them squaw by MS Security Essentials, which integrates anti-virus and other anti-malware with Windows firewall. (Other full-suites disable Win firewall.) I use F-Sure (supplied by Optus) and though it didn't have the highest rating in a couple of comparisons I read, it was rated HIGHER than Norton's in all of them. Kaspersky seems to be the present flavour, but then...

Lately I have taken to not typing in usernames and passwords but have instead been copying and pasting them in a bid to thwart keylogging programs. I don't know what the savvier-than-I think of this, but I'd like to know.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for MS Security Essentials if you're running Windows. Don't think I'd try it with Linux etc.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OWE! And did I mention MS Essentials is eref, efre, reef, ie, FREE!
    Am.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my 3rd chew at this cherry (???)

I have been told about Malware Bytes.
    The FREE version is a non-real-time scanner. I understand this means it should not interfere (at all) with the installed real-time security software.

Would someone please tell me if this is correct.
    Thanks, Am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I asked a 2ple of computer stores (people I know) and they say that Norton's isn't as *words for good, useful, like it used to be years ago*. Two of them squaw by MS Security Essentials, which integrates anti-virus and other anti-malware with Windows firewall. (Other full-suites disable Win firewall.) I use F-Sure (supplied by Optus) and though it didn't have the highest rating in a couple of comparisons I read, it was rated HIGHER than Norton's in all of them. Kaspersky seems to be the present flavour, but then...

Lately I have taken to not typing in usernames and passwords but have instead been copying and pasting them in a bid to thwart keylogging programs. I don't know what the savvier-than-I think of this, but I'd like to know.
    Am.
    I dont not know if it worth it but I have installed keystroke personal to encrypt the keystrokes. I hope.Just one of the multiple layers of protection I have in the hope that I am protecting myself.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham. I looked that up and can only find "KeyScrambler Personal". Is that the one? Also, do you know about Malware Bytes?
    Am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast