Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YN - 560 opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YN - 560 opinions?

Hi everyone,

I am looking into purchasing my 1st off camera flash.
    Seeing as the missus has imposed limits on how much I can spend, I was wondering if anyone had bad reviews of the YN-560?

I have read up on it's limitations, and what it does and doesn't have. I am ok with the them so far.
    As I am hoping to down the track purchase a more solid master unit, these would eventually be running as slaves and therefore not wasted money?

If you know of a flash with similar features/benefits but is better value:$$$ ratio. I sure would like to hear about it!

Item I am looking at is found here - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YN-560-YN...item483bc2c94a

Cheers
    Matt

P.S: The forum emailed me and said "hey, if you don't post again soon you will become inactive" so I figured I may as well ask about something I am interested in!

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Matt

I've got a couple of the 460s and they work remarkably well
    See no reason for the 560s not to do the same

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day Matt

I've got a couple of the 460s and they work remarkably well
    See no reason for the 560s not to do the same

Regards, Phil
    Cheers Phil! How long have you had yours?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep same, I own a couple of 467's, awesome little flash for the money I paid.. I've had mine for nearly 2 yrs now
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one off eBay, still waiting for it to arrive! Should be this week. It's my first as well I wasn't comfortable with the huge prices on the Canon ones. Some day I'll probably purchase a Canon one, but while I'm learning and on a budget, these just seemed to suit really well! .. Even if I buy two that are duds, I'm still ahead by a lot compared to the price of the Canon! =]

I purchased here:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200639170...ht_3690wt_1139

In case you also wanted some other things, this is what else I purchased

I also ordered a pair of wireless remotes and receivers (they both send/receive, the one that you put on the camera becomes the sender automatically)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330569195...#ht_6953wt_905

And a diffuser to spread the light
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110674858...#ht_1899wt_917
    Last edited by Tommo224; 29-08-2011 at 2:22pm.

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Matt

Q- how long have I had 'em....?
    > dunno exactly - maybe 12 months ... use them in my Level-2 workshops for umbrella / slave flash operations
    > they're triggered by students' individual on-camera flashes set to -2EV
    > used for portraiture mostly

The recycle rate is about 8 seconds, powered by 6volt 'eveready-Dolphin' style batteries that go on forever before going flat

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 560s, fantastic units, great value for money.

FYI I got mine from here..a little cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:X:RTQ:US:1123
    Last edited by Tjfrnds; 29-08-2011 at 9:11pm. Reason: add link
    Tania

CC always welcome http://www.taniafernandesphotography.com.au/
    Canon 5d iii, Canon 7d, 50 f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100 f/2.8 USM Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add, my 560 have survived 2 falls from a height of 2 metres

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just ordered two of them along with the RF602 wireless triggers, from all the reviews I've read they are really well built, and reliable which is the main thing. I think they're worth the extra $$ over the 460 due to having a PC port, more power and flexibility.

Hoping they arrive before the weekend so I can get playing with them!!
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm Æ’/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably started using the YN560 before everyone else on AP, as I bought 2 of them for myself and 5 more for friends, the week it came out in Shanghai last year. Going back to Aus customs with 7 YN560s and 2 Nissins in a carry on bag didnt raise any questions at all

My friends YNs still work normally, but for my 2 flashes - 1 still turns on but does not fire any more (could be blown bulb), and the other one fires at every 2nd or 3rd shot on the camera. I used them very heavily for strobist work last year before moving to using big monolights outdoors.

In the case of the blown bulb one, I used to connect them up to the Yongnuo SF18 battery pack to increase battery life and recycled time, so constant shooting on that may or may not have fried it.

Either way, I have been using Yongnuo products for 2 yrs now and will still keep on buying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my YN560 in the mail today (after 1 month shipping, ridiculous). So keen to try it out tonight

Fired it off a couple of times in the office, to the shock of a couple of people working near me lol. So it definitely works =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried out the flash last night, learned how to adjust the brightness and all that jazz.

Pretty good flash, definitely going to look at purchasing a second one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommo you must have bought yours from the same place as me... 1 month to get to my door is crazy.... other stuff i ordered to 1 week... Go figure

Simon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For strobist work, would this flash be ideal or would I be better off buying a second hand SB-28?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much you'll pay. The 560 is about $70, and whilst a tad less powerful, has half the recycling time + 12 months warranty. So if your paying any more than that, I'd recommend the 560.
    Some Pentax stuff and junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think for 70 bux delivered, that's almost the same as the 580EXII, for 70 bux a pop, I can't really ask for more.

If it'll do the same job as a 580 EXII in manual mode, then I'll be happy.

edit: now I just need to find some aftermarket Honl grids and what not If only there were aftermarket Ring Lights.
    Last edited by mR_CaESaR; 04-10-2011 at 7:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is actually easier to use the YN560 in manual mode than the 580EX because it has dedicated buttons to increment the power, instead of doing a long press on the OK button and then adjust the power.
    Canon EOS 50D w/ Phottix BP-40 Grip | 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 430EX II | YN560 | Cactus V5 | Benro C-257EX + B2 Ballhead
    http://picasaweb.google.com/derfel/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a second YN560 (this time from an Aussie seller on ebay).

I paid $85 with free postage, instead of $70 free postage. Would rather spend the extra $15 and receive it in a couple of days over waiting a month!!

Also purchased another pair of RF-603 wireless things.

So I'll have 4 of the wireless things, one on the camera, one on each flash, and I can use one as a remote if needed .. Self portraits made easy LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another happy 560 owner here. Bought 2 from an aussie seller (pickup locally) for $70 ea. Used them manual on S2 and fired brilliantly. Best $70 I've spent in a long time.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to this, I have 2 of these flashes.

One fell off the tripod (the shoe thing doesn't hold very well when you have the wireless thing attached to the bottom of the flash) and fell about 1.2m to the ground, batteries fell out. Flash still works fine (this was about a month ago).

On Saturday my gf dropped another flash down a bunch of concrete stairs, again the batteries fell out, it was covered in dirt and grime, but still works perfectly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast