User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Budget Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budget Canon Lenses

Hey, so I have owned an eos 1000D for 6 months now, however am upgrading to a Canon 60D.

I was originally planning on selling my 1000D body only, and keeping the 2 ef-s 18-55 and 80-300mm lenses for my new camera, my friend however wants to buy my old camera with the lenses.

I started to look into what other cheap lenses I could get, and one that struck me was the EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens
    which costs a mere 110 dollars

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

What is the quality difference between my current ef-s lens and this one ^^

the only differences I can spot ( I know very little about lenses at the moment)

is that my old lens has a smaller minimal focus lnegth at 28 cm's whilst the 50 mm lens has one at 45 cm's
    the 50 mm lens however has a lower minimum aperture of 1.8 opposed to 3.5

any help is appreciated, in terms of suggesting other budget lenses, or convincing me as to why I should spend more on a lens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    EF-s lenses have limited use, they cannot be put on a canon full frame body. So I suggest you avoid any EF-s lenses if in the future, you may end up with a ff sensor body
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-08-2011 at 6:58am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    EF-s lenses have limited use, they cannot be put on a canon full frame body. So I suggest you avoid any EF-s lenses if in the future, you may end up with a ff sensor body
    I am going to stick my head out and disagree with Rick.
    Most of us have APS-C type cameras,and only few of us will spend the extra dollars that the full frame cameras cost,so on that basis the EF-S lenses are well worth having. Just because they do not fit on a full frame camera is no reason to discard them.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 50mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens for the price. However, this is a prime lens and so has a fixed focal length....ie if you want to zoom you have to move your feet! That is the key difference, although on the up side, it has a much wider aperture and takes a lovely shot

One option would be to sell the 1000D with the single lens (18-55) and keep the other kit lens as this will give you a bit more flexibility
    Last edited by Milbs1; 22-08-2011 at 10:21am.
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be If you sell the 1000D, sell it with the kit lenses and purchase a Sigma 18-250 or similar. This lens will cover all your kit lenses will at higher quality. A lot knock this lens without ever using it and although it is a super zoom I have gotten good results from it right across it's range, it was my first upgrade (apart from the 50:1.8) from kit lenses and I have never regretted it and is still my primary motorsport lens.
    Keith.
    PS I kept my original 400D and kit lenses and while the camera still gets regular use the lenses are gathering dust in the cupboard. Also for around $100 the nifty 50 is worth having in your kit
    Last edited by Speedway; 22-08-2011 at 10:35am.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst a nifty 50 is definitely going to be worth it, you'll find yourself extreemly restricted in terms of focal length. If you do want one,I can recommend this site which has it for $58: http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...ii-lenses.html

Have a look back through all the photos you've taken over the last few months. How many of them were at 35mm-60mm focal length? If most of them were, then you will probably survive on a 50mm. But if you mostly used your 80-300mm lens, or the short end of your 18-55 then just having the 50 will frustrate the hell out of you.

Remember also that the glass is more important in terms of IQ than the body is. If you're not happy with the shots your 1000D is taking then you should probably look towards investing in better lenses. After all, 6 months is not that long to learn all of the features of a body! My 2c
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 22-08-2011 at 11:27am.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have elaborated in my original post, the main reason for this upgrade is that next year I will be completing year 12 VCE media. The course requires for everything to be done on your own, and I don't fancy using the budget public school cam-corders.
    ( I have pretty much made my mind up on getting the 60D, because of the Magic Lantern Firmware available for it, but if someone has better suggestions on a DSLR for video, I will gladly take them. That being said I will still be using it for photography a lot)

So the fact that the 50mm lens does not zoom, does not worry me that much since, it should be avoided in DSLR filming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find that not only is the 60D a great stills camera, it also takes wonderful video.

I'd still be looking at a zoom lens however, especially if you are only going to have just 1 or 2 lenses, as you will probably find that having only one prime lens to be very limiting in what you can do.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally had the 50mm with my camera but sold it and bought the 35mm f2.0 It cost's a fair bit more but well well worth it. I've been using it for almost a year at birthdays, christmas, on vacation to hawaii and only on the rare rare occasion did i wish i had a more flexible focal length. If you're looking for a prime lens, i would say spend a little more and get the 35mm.. The 50mm is just TOO CLOSE for indoor portraits... I'm sure you're thinking.. nah it's cool i'll just stand back a bit further... standing back is the hardest thing, getting closer is much easier.

If you're after a all round lens then maybe something like the 15-85, or Sigma 24-70 or tamron 17-50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeems View Post
    I originally had the 50mm with my camera but sold it and bought the 35mm f2.0 It cost's a fair bit more but well well worth it. I've been using it for almost a year at birthdays, christmas, on vacation to hawaii and only on the rare rare occasion did i wish i had a more flexible focal length. If you're looking for a prime lens, i would say spend a little more and get the 35mm.. The 50mm is just TOO CLOSE for indoor portraits... I'm sure you're thinking.. nah it's cool i'll just stand back a bit further... standing back is the hardest thing, getting closer is much easier.

If you're after a all round lens then maybe something like the 15-85, or Sigma 24-70 or tamron 17-50
    Instead of the 35 2.0. I'd recommend the Sigma 30 1.4. Get a price match and you won't be losing much money if you need to resell should you go to full frame. It's an awesome lens for the crop bodies.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyza View Post
    I should have elaborated in my original post, the main reason for this upgrade is that next year I will be completing year 12 VCE media. The course requires for everything to be done on your own, and I don't fancy using the budget public school cam-corders.
    ( I have pretty much made my mind up on getting the 60D, because of the Magic Lantern Firmware available for it, but if someone has better suggestions on a DSLR for video, I will gladly take them. That being said I will still be using it for photography a lot)

So the fact that the 50mm lens does not zoom, does not worry me that much since, it should be avoided in DSLR filming.
    My guess is Yr 12 MEDIA in Victoria requires the Student to provide a Major Work – i.e. a short video / film.
    I am familiar with the NSW HSC Curriculum.

It’s my opinion you would be severely disadvantaged making a short video with a 60D and ONLY a 50mm Prime.

The 50mm lens is a short telephoto and it will likely be a disadvantage to you having only that FoV for the entire movie.

A zoom lens does not HAVE to be zoomed whilst videoing: but it can be SET at various FL, for each shot.

If you choose ONE PRIME for videoing: think carefully about the FoV you will require, I expect something like a 24mm ~ 35mm lens would be much more flexible for you.

I do not have a better suggestion of a DSLR for video, but an HD video cam (perhaps less cost) will do a better job, more easily for you.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 27-08-2011 at 5:05pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sell the 1000D body and keep your lenses untill your ready to sell them

Just because your friend wants them doesn't mean you have to sell them to him.
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest perhaps grab a p&s, set it to about 50mm then see what limitations it throws up fro you, then do likewise for 35mm equiv & weigh up the results
    Oly e500 zd14-54 zd70-300
    35-70/4 70-210/4 (leftover from old camera )

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so quick update, Am still selling the 1000D Body, but keeping the two lenses the ef-s 18-55 and the ef 75-300mm.

I will however still be purchasing the 50mm 1.4, and the 60D

just need to put the 1000D back on ebay, as my friend won't have the money for another month or so, and I showed her the 1100D is available with a lens for under 500 on e-global.
    need to put it "back" on ebay as sold it initially for 425, but payment never came through and seller wanted to pay me out side of ebay (obvious scam is obvious)

so back on ebay it goes :/

thanks for comments guys, went over my photos and noticed ALOT are at full 55mm, so think it won't be a big issue for me, and always have the other lens.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will enjoy the 60D, as I have. And since I've had one, I haven't even turned that video mode thingy on yet.
    And all the best with Year 12 next year Czya. (God I'm glad I don't have to do any of that school stuff again)
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.