Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: New canon 70-200 mk 2 & 2x III extender on it's way

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New canon 70-200 mk 2 & 2x III extender on it's way

Wahoo tax check spent new bit of kit for my trip in 2 weeks to uk then Santorini Greece I can't wait.
    I am going to take my 5 D with 17-40 , 24-105 , and the 70-200
    Do u think it's gonna be to much to take may be drop one lens off the list if so which one?
    I am gonna drag my tripod over there to I know it's heavy but I want to make sure I have every thing I need I dint care if it's gonna break my back.
    Canon5D MK III,Canon 6D,Canon 17-40 L ,Canon 24-70 MKIIL , [/COLOR],Canon 70-200MkII L ,Sigma Fisheye 15mm 2.8 ,Canon 2xMk3 Extender, 430EX11 Flash , Lee Big Stopper & Other Lee Filters.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB + 322RC2 + MBAG80P.
    Critique is allways welcome, Any help and advise will allways be appreciated.

davidwalkerphotography.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boils down to your shooting style and what you intend to take on the trip.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do You really need a tripod or would a bean bag suffice? How many times do you use a tripod around home? Try carrying around your camera gear for the next few days whilst at home. And I mean everywhere you go. Shopping, picking up the kids etc. And don't let it out of your site as if you were overseas. I doubt you will do this for more than a couple of days. Just food for thought. cheers Brian. PS Have a great holiday....

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh I know what you mean but 90 percent of my photos are sun rise or sun up or using strong
    Filters as good as a bean bag is I gotta have my tripod.
    My question is what lenses should I take .

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of photographs are you intending to take ?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mostly sunsets in Santorini and waterfalls beaches with slow shutter speeds so tripod is a must for me.I do see a place for the 70-200 for some landscapes but i am thinking the weight will be a problem so i was thinking of the 17-40 and the 24-105 lens which should cover most of what i want to do im just curious if any one that has gone over seas and thought damn i wish i brought my other lens etc.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by britinozz View Post
    mostly sunsets in Santorini and waterfalls beaches with slow shutter speeds so tripod is a must for me.I do see a place for the 70-200 for some landscapes but i am thinking the weight will be a problem so i was thinking of the 17-40 and the 24-105 lens which should cover most of what i want to do im just curious if any one that has gone over seas and thought damn i wish i brought my other lens etc.
    If you are wanting to shoot predominantly waterfalls and beaches, I would be thinking about leaving your 70-200 at home. You still have an UWA in the 17-40mm and then if you need some more zoom you have the option of the 24-105. The 24-105 would also be great for those moments you hadn't planned for, a great walk around lens.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right its allways good to get some one elses view .
    Thanks for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. 70-200 can stay at home if you're doing predominantly landscapes as you don't need anything fast.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awsum ordered Friday came Monday morning.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez mate. Take the 70-200 as well. Those narrow alleys on Santorini are great for long teles shooting straight down them. When I went to the Cyclades, I took two bodies, 17-35 f2.8L, 28-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 2xTC, EF25 extender (for macros), 550EX, and a tripod. You can easily spend a few hours sitting in one of the many cliff-top bars photographing the "wildlife" with the 70-200 and 2xTC. There are no beaches on the caldera side of the island, but the famous sunsets are shot there at Oia. You will need a tripod for those.

Carrying all that stuff is just the price you pay to get the pictures you want when you know you might never be back there. Only you can decide whether it is worth it, but don't let people who aren't going talk you out of it if you really want to maximise your photographic experience. You don't have to carry everything every time you step out of your hotel room. You can go back to the hotel to get different gear, but it's a long way back to Oz to get your 70-200 if you leave it at home. Buses run all over the island. I don't know that I'd be hiring a moped on those roads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camerasnoop View Post
    You can go back to the hotel to get different gear, but it's a long way back to Oz to get your 70-200 if you leave it at home.
    Provided it's still in the hotel :P

Anyway... that's why people ask the question. What kind of photos does she like to take and have an idea of taking. I personally will bring my 70-200 as i do a lot of street sniping. Sometimes when you go on a holiday you will end up thinking "I wished i brought my xxxxx lens." Are you willing to sacrifice the extra weight for that 1 shot? Again it boils down to yourself as well. I'm looking forward to my month long trip to Geneva, italy and bangkok with the 70-200 as well! Might pop by Germany as well if my Dad is there. Also thinking of going to turkey or greece. :/ So much to travel.. so little time and money
    Last edited by KeeFy; 29-08-2011 at 5:22pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to take the 70-200 I have it the bag with my 17-40 & 24-105 with all my frets etc and it weighs a ton .
    I will just take my other 2 lenses.
    Some thing to look forward to when I get home from holiday.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by britinozz View Post
    it weighs a ton ..
    Actually it only weighs 1.5 kilograms, but you'd be the one carrying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always nice to have lenses just incase, but I'd only take the 24-105 David, which can cover a wide variety of situations and also save you changing lenses all the time which you would end up doing. Challenge yourself to making do with just the one lens and you'll still get by quite nicely. Also your carry-on bag will not be over weight
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if your only criteria is weight, take a P&S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep with my other lenses and flash, lee filters ey
    Etc my bag weighs around 9 kilos that's with out 70-200.
    It's gotta stay at home .