Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: POTW #271 (starts this Sunday evening) Special Announcement

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

POTW #271 (starts this Sunday evening) Special Announcement

This Sunday evening POTW #271 opens.

I am making this special announcement so that members interested in undertaking it can have this weekend to consider and get a suitable entry. The competition will use your AP competition level.

The theme for this competition is "Natural Portrait of a Senior Citizen".

Thus, the mods and I thought giving members a heads-up now, could help you get a suitable entry over the coming weekend, giving you a couple more days to consider the theme and get your shot.

The word NATURAL in the theme title is specific, in that we want the entries to show the person as they are. Editing will be allowed, but we don't want entries processed in such a way that the person looks completely different to the entry (similar to 'draganize' or overly 'glamourised' with skin smoothing and skin softening to the extreme), etc. We want a natural portrait, that reflects how your subject looks in real life.

With thanks to AP member William, I have attached below a fantastic photo he has taken that displays what we are NOT wanting in this week's entries. Bill's photo is a stunning one and stands up as a wonderful portrait.

However for POTW #271 we want the subject's natural beauty shining through and entries that are processed to over-enhance the 'ruggedness' or 'glamour' of the subject will be deemed outside the 'Natural Portrait' stipulation and disqualified.

Photo of the Week #248 : Advanced :
    Entry: 6613 - Voting Token: V137_0009 - William

(thanks again Bill for allowing me the use of your stunning portrait as an example of what we are NOT seeking as entries for this competition. Appreciate your permission.)

The mods and I are looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this competition
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-08-2011 at 8:20am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, Just a thought, What age is classified as a Senior Citizen for this Comp, The Comp that was just held around my area stated 50+, Sounds a good starting point ? Ask a teenager and they would say 30 is old
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We (the mods and I) discussed this, and we felt it would be impossible for us to determine an actual age, and have it adhered to. We could say 50 and someone could use a person who is 49, who looks 60 etc.

So we chose senior citizen as that is generically linked to people who are 'mature' age. Certainly if someone entered a photo of a person who was/looked 30 we would consider that as not adhering to the theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically if they have "Wisdom lines" the entry should be right Sorry Rick , Only trying some humour

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    So basically if they have "Wisdom lines" the entry should be right Sorry Rick , Only trying some humour
    Yep. We don't want to go setting every minute detail of what or what isn't a senior citizen, rather let members enter into the spirit of the theme and choose an appropriate subject. But any entry that appears to be way of base, will be scrutinised.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY! I'm excited by this one.. got something special for this comp
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.