User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Planned or spontaneous?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planned or spontaneous?

I'm just curious as to how photographers get their favourite or best (not necessarily the same thing) images. Are they from a planned shoot or in a spontaneous situation?

Unfortunately, living up here there isn't much opportunity for "planned" shoots as it's just not safe to go lurking in alot of places by yourself, especially at sunrise/sunset.

How do you plan for the unexpected opportunities that arise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always have your camera with you, Serious ! Usually they come spontaneously, The planed shoots I do are usually some Sunrises if I'm after something specific, If not the situation arises, Most of the time I'm walking and seeing things as a photo opportunity
    Last edited by William; 23-08-2011 at 12:05pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William. That's the main reason I went for a Sony Nex-3. Living here, lugging an SLR everywhere is just not safe. The Sony can fit into a bag at a pinch.

My hubby won't be too impressed though...now I'm on the lookout for a new handbag that will hold my camera!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats why a lot of Journalists working in war torn countries dont lug big DSLR's around , A lot use the Canon G10-12 for the same reason, You can just drop it in your pocket
    Last edited by William; 23-08-2011 at 12:53pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G12 was on my list but, with a replacement due out soon, I knew I'd want to upgrade as soon as I got it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dpends on genre. Sunrises, sunsets etc are planned. Candida are often not, street photography is generally not planned.
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-08-2011 at 1:12pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan where and when to take photos that are then taken spontaneously, does that make sense ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly dose Darren
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one with Darren.
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, makes sense to me too. I just have to get in the habit of taking the camera with me and maybe leaving the tripod in the car at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelly1170 View Post
    Yep, makes sense to me too. I just have to get in the habit of taking the camera with me and maybe leaving the tripod in the car at all times.
    Yep , I never or rarely use a Tripod , Always for long exposure Sunrises, Never for street shots or general shooting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For photography involving people I prefer spontaneous shots as I find them natural & at their best; anything else I usually think about the shot or plan for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time i have a idea of what i want to capture. Sometimes it hits me on the location and i wait. Sometimes it's just there. There is no real recipe.

And the keeper percentages are 80% - 50% - 10% respectively, that are images that i'd like to claim my own. The rest i'll just pass it off as a newbie photographer taking holiday snapshots. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my favourites almost always are spontaneous, capturing a laugh or a facial expression on someone that didn't know I was taking the pic. I love randomness!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msm1707 View Post
    Some of my favourites almost always are spontaneous, capturing a laugh or a facial expression on someone that didn't know I was taking the pic. I love randomness!
    Ah, but how spontaneous and random is it, when as the photographer, you made a decision at an earlier time, to take your camera with you, rather than leave it at home. Yes you can capture random and spontaneous facial expressions, landscapes, etc, but ultimately you have pre-planned to both have your camera with you, in the hope of capturing something, and been pre-empting those moments to have your camera up and ready to shoot.

what you are describing is the difference between a set-up studio portrait shot and a photo-journalistic portrait shot. Both have planning involved, it is just the level of, and type of planning and interaction with the subject that is different. Merely by having your camera with you, suggests a plan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    98% of the time I have some sort of pre thought......I pretty much always have my camera with me. Even when I am driving I will often go ohh looky at the pretty light/view/critter/person/bug/bird........ and then go back and try to get some sort of image from it...( sometimes more than once )........otherwise I go out with a PLAN! Not saying the plan always comes off.....plan A can become plan 42B.....but the intent was there.
    cheers
    Jan

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ........ Merely by having your camera with you, suggests a plan!
    I wondered why I haven't got any spontaneous photos.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find whenever practical - take the camera, you never know what mite happen. Funny situations come, you see interesting things on the way - people are unpredictable, photo opportunities everywhere.