Thread: Back screen dull on Canon 5D

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back screen dull on Canon 5D

Hi All

About 6 months ago I picked up a second hand Canon 5D, but due to work commitments I did not really get the chance to use it much. I have recently picked it up again and have noticed the rear LCD is almost unusable in both contrast and colour. I know this model camera had a poor rear screen but this seems to me like it is faulty. I did contact canon and asked them if there is an upgrade for the screen but they just want me to send it in and of course there is a charge for this service (which I am more than willing to pay if there is a problem that can be rectified).

Is there any chance a fellow Melbourne member with a 5D is around Melbourne sometime where we could put two cameras side by side so I can check if I am expecting too much from the rear screen. My other camera is a 1DM3, and the difference is chalk and cheese.

Cheers
    Kel
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you gone into the menus of the camera and looked at where the screen brightness adjustment is?

You might find that it is turned all the way down and just needs to be tweaked brighter.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Benny - I have gone through and looked at all the adjustments - it is more the colours than the actual brightness of the screen. I cannot tell by looking at the screen whether the highlights are blown (compared to what i can tell with my 1D). Maybe i am expecting too much and thus just want to get either a second opinion or compare to a similiar model 5D from somewhere here in Melbourne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the original 5D has a 2.5 inch screen with a 230k resolution off the top of my head? The colours are a bit less punchy/saturated/contrasty than model 3 inch, 900k resolution screens we have come to expect as the norm on a lot of cameras these days.

try and adjust the settings again such as custom white balance and other settings, what model 1D do you have? If you have the old 1DII N model, it will almost be exact.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have the 1DM2 and I dont remember the screen being this bad - I now have the 1DM3 and there is just no comparison. I have reset all the 5D back to all the factory defaults - if someone has another 5D in Melbourne I will be able to compare the screens and know if this body needs to be sent to canon for repair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7D and a 5D MKII, and the screen on my 5d def seems duller. even with settings adjusted