User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 30D to 7D upgrade..Should I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30D to 7D upgrade..Should I?

I'm sure a similar topic has been posted before but this is really getting to me Haha
    I bought the 30D when it first came out and it's treated me pretty well (my first ever real DSLR), nothing really wrong with it, but I have enough money in the bank and I'm just feeling like an upgrade...Is it worth it??
    If I do buy it I'll prob buy another lens for longer portrait shots and maybe a second flash as well
    Last edited by macdog; 21-08-2011 at 1:45pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you feel you have used the 30D to its full potential and you want to upgrade then sure, go the 7D. But if you are happy with it, maybe invest in some good quality glass instead.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 30D has served me well, Untill it breaks I think I'll still use it , Would be nice to have a Cam that could handle higher ISO speeds though It still takes a really good image so long as you dont want to start taking Bill Board sized images to be printed
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what do you shoot mostly. Do you need the FPS? If not the 60D may be better suited for you and the savings put towards better glass as the 60D and 7D have pretty identical sensors.
    Last edited by KeeFy; 21-08-2011 at 7:16pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have a surfing waterhousing that I would use it with (FPS), although it might not fit it so might need to sell it and get a new one....ugh.
    I probably should get better lenses first and a second flash.. But I just want it all, its so old the 30d now haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a decent leap, considering a moderate leap would be the 60. What sort of lens upgrades are you considering? I get all gooey with new lenses, I feel they sometimes revitalise old bodies.... Mind you new bodies never hurts, but I was impressed when I went from a 50/1.8 to to using a 85/1.8 for portraits of the kids... It was in some cases night and day difference, yet same body... In the end I guess you decide whats your pain point and try to fix that first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe a 70-200 L instead ?
    really depends what you like to shoot
    if you can borrow a good lens or the 7D to try then maybe you decision would be easy
    or buy both
    50D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS 11, Understanding Wife
    Photos - Panoramio - Flickr -

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Macdog,

I've just bought a 7D to upgrade from my 450D. It's a very steep learning curve and although I've only done one serious shoot, I'm vey disappointed with my efforts so far. The 7D is a great camera, so I'm not blaming that, but beware that the changeover will not be seamless.

I'm in the shire too, so we may catch up some day.

Cheers,

John W
    John W Sydney Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it. Sometimes it is better to upgrade the camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to get a 70-200L (soo expensive) or something fast in the range of 28-100. Ive got the crappy 28-135 which I really want to replace. I think ive started leaning towards the lens option but the 7d is o so appealing.

For sure woody, what do you usually shoot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to ask.....

Notwithstanding, I'd go the lens route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody08 View Post
    Hello Macdog,

I've just bought a 7D to upgrade from my 450D. It's a very steep learning curve and although I've only done one serious shoot, I'm vey disappointed with my efforts so far. The 7D is a great camera, so I'm not blaming that, but beware that the changeover will not be seamless.

John W

Ditto, went from 450D to 7D , steep learning curve, defiantey a better camera does not make you a better photographer.

Good glass improves the images from any body.

Saying that, i would not undo what i did, having a more complex camera, MAKES you learn more !

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by davearnold; 23-08-2011 at 11:14am.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macdog View Post
    Yeah I have a surfing waterhousing that I would use it with (FPS), although it might not fit it so might need to sell it and get a new one....ugh.
    I probably should get better lenses first and a second flash.. But I just want it all, its so old the 30d now haha
    Macdog, what waterhousing are you using?
    I've drowned 3 cameras, bounced off a reef and lost 2 front teeth, had various fin chops and am really starting to feel OLD!

But.....................................still love shooting the curl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes a while to setup a 7D to your preference and to learn how to use it as well.

Personally i like better glass as well.

If you want to try out the 7D and 70-200 f2.8 II let me know... i'm located near the city center.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for a 400D to a 7D and certainly do not regret it at all. Even the "feel" of the camera is far superior. But as the others have said quality glass is far more important than a good body for taking better photos
    Last edited by crum; 23-08-2011 at 12:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't require 7fps and a super-fast tracking focus, you'll get exactly the same quality of photo with a 60D as you will with a 7D.
    The 5.3fps of the 60D is quite enough for most of us anyway.
    Same sensor, same processor and the 60D has a tiltable screen, which is VERY handy for many situations, and the 60D will save you money and for 99% of your probable uses, will give the same result.
    Unless you are trecking through rough country all the time, the metal body of the 7D is also wasted, and personally, I prefer a good plastic body over a metal one, as the metal ones get scratched and dented (I've had a few so I know).
    Save a bit on the body, and put the rest into good glass.

Just my 2c worth.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butts View Post
    Macdog, what waterhousing are you using?
    How the heck did you drown 3 cameras? What are you using a fishing net as housing
    I'm using an SPL waterhousing and its been tough as S*&$ for the 4yrs or so I've had it. Rock solid. Have a look at aquatechs and theres also a couple more good 'commercial' brands out there.

Looks like the word is to put priority into new glass first, probably the smarter option. Then maybe a second flash and then the 7D shortly after, I just got a new job so I'll prob just end up buying it all soon enough Im sure it will also reinvigorate my love for photography haha
    Last edited by macdog; 30-08-2011 at 2:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macdog View Post
    How the heck did you drown 3 cameras? What are you using a fishing net as housing
    I'm using an SPL waterhousing and its been tough as S*&$ for the 4yrs or so I've had it. Rock solid. Have a look at aquatechs and theres also a couple more good 'commercial' brands out there.
    He he he, fishing nets!! Ha! As for housings for me, nah don't need advice.
    With regards to your SPL, I think you'll find the dimensions of the 7D (as opposed to the 30D) will mean you'll most likely have to sell it. Check with Sean, he may be able to do something.

I agree with the others though, glass is the way to go. :-)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was also another factor I've had to consider, I don't think it would fit in its depth I thik i worked out a while ago...anyways...
    I had a quick go of 7d today took, some quick test shots, very quick test mind you didnt really go into anything but from the look of he photos I took and all the extra bits of the 7d I think new Lenses is definately the way to go! There's just not enough reason yet to go the upgrade besides image quality and 7fps and HD video (which I would probably hardly use anyways).

Looks like its a second flash and lenses that I'll be getting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was losing faith in Canon with the noise issues after going from the 30D to the 40D. After purchasing the 7D my faith has been restored, and I see no reason to replace the 7D as it is the best camera I have ever owned.

Since I purchased the 7D my focus has turned to L series glass and I have purchased the 24-105mm f4L IS and 70-200mm f4L IS.
    Last edited by thelastname; 31-08-2011 at 6:55pm.
    My photos on flickr

My videos on YouTube