Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Weight relationship between tripod & camera

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight relationship between tripod & camera

My current tripod + head weigh 4.7 Kgs. My camera + 300mm lens weighs about 2.3 Kgs.
    That's 7Kgs, or around 15 pounds, and after carting it around the scrub for a couple of hours it is getting bloody heavy, and I'm not getting any younger. BTW, it is rock solid.

I've been looking at lighter tripods (Carbon Fibre) and mag alloy ball heads, with a combined weight of around 2Kgs. I can't do much about the camera/lens weight, but shedding 2.7Kgs from the support system weight seems like a quantum step in the right direction.

In my internet wanderings I've come across a couple of articles by people who seem to know what they are talking about, and they quote a 'rule of thumb' that your tripod should be 1.5-2x the weight of the gear supported, with an addendum that the ratio may have decreased with the advent of lighter and stronger tripods.

Gawd I'm getting so confused. I need to shoot off a tripod because of unsteadiness in the hands and arms (Tennis elbow among other things) so I would really appreciate any info on this aforementioned load/support ratio.

It seems to me that all the ability and technique in the world won't cover up the shakes, and I'm not insinuating that I have even a smattering of either.

Cheers

Kevin

PS: I'm looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 + maybe the Markins Q3 Emille, both of which have a load rating of 3 to 4 times the weight of the gear I'll put on top.
    Last edited by Cage; 07-10-2010 at 9:58pm. Reason: Grammar (No, not my Nan)
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will find most tripods have a maximum recommended weight that they support. Use that as a guide. so go look at the manfrotto website and it should tell you what weight each model can support.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick.

Both the tripod and the head I'm looking at have a 75% safety margin.

I think being retired, I have too much spare time on my hands, so I probably tend to over-research things too much.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Over-researching is good. Nothing I find more irritating than someone who buys a product and then whinges it will not do what they wanted it to, when what it can and cannot do is clearly stated on the manufacturers information page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you got the cash to buy carbon fibre, then go for it.... you can always put a rock in a bag and hang it off the tripod if you feel you need to hold it down in the wind

Try your camera/lens set up in a shop with various tripods at different positions and see how it sits
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in2fx View Post
    if you got the cash to buy carbon fibre, then go for it.... you can always put a rock in a bag and hang it off the tripod if you feel you need to hold it down in the wind

Try your camera/lens set up in a shop with various tripods at different positions and see how it sits
    Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, when you choose to live away from the 'big smoke', that option is not always readily available.

Cheers

Kevin

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my concern was that other than the weight carrying capability of the tripod and the head, and stability in the wind, are there any other factors I should be aware of?

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll agree with Rick on his point. I spent some time on the Manfrotto site selecting my combination of tripod and head using their online recommendation.
    Like you I am starting to find it a bit heavy but so far am managing.
    Shame you can't do as in2fx says and try before you buy. In hindsight that is what I should have done and will do next time.
    The biggest change for me is that my skills have changed and so has my demands on my equipment.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a medium weight tripod that I use most of the time, then added a Manfrotto for travel because it is smaller and lighter (tried quite a few in the shop) and now also want another Manfrotto for flexbility (is that rediculous ?) LOL
    I also have a Manfrotto Monopod

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Kevin

May I add to your confusion ~ from your location line, you ARE in the big smoke ... in my travels I meet people who are 150km from their local town of 50-500 people and 400-800km from any reasonable-sized town with a choice of shops
    Seriously tho ~ from your avatar you seem to be a bikie (love 'em) so size & portability seems to come into the equation
    Will the tripod fit into the pannier's on your 2-wheeled beast?
    Will the tripod when opened reach your shoulder-height?
    Is the pan head die cast metal or moulded plastic with a 1-year life of use?
    Can you short-list, then ask others for their usage-thoughts?

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Phil.
    The odd shop in Newcastle or the Central Coast mainly cater for the entry level user, so if you want to have a serious look at gear it's off to Sydney.

I've done the sums and the tripod is the right fit for me. I can use it standing ( I'm near 6') without the legs and the column fully extended.

The heads I'm considering are the Markins Q3 or maybe the Manfrotto 468MGRC2. I'm leaning towards the 'frotto because I already have the camera plates I need.
    No plastic for me so I hope whichever I chose will last me a long time.

As I commented in my original post, my main concern was the weight ratio of gear to tripod/head although I'm sure the guys using full frame bodies and 600's don't carry a 12Kg tripod around
    and I'm also sure Gitzo & Co aren't making $1K tripods for entry level DSLR and P & S shooters.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers

Kevin

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day again Kevin

I know what you mean re- tripod 'need' ~ for many years my tripod was a ruddy-great thing too - designed for 4x5inch plate cameras &/or beta video cameras - and I used it mainly for >500mm stuff

Regards, Phil

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic, but if you are suffering from tennis elbow, check out a manipulative therapist/physio who is willing to look at your ribs.
    Scoff if you want, but I was suffering from tennis elbow for a while, and went to a couple of physio who needled it, pulled it, strapped it, banged it and tried just about everything. Then I Went to our manipulative therapist who ignored my elbow, but raised my arm and prodded around in my ribs, found a sore spot, worked his magic a couple of times and voila, no more tennis elbow.
    Worked for a friend who was a sceptic as well. I see a bloke in Adelaide, but thats even further than a decent tripod shop for you.
    Back on topic, if you are willing to shoot from a lower tripod height then you will be more stable so you can go lighter with the tripod. Think about the balance of heavy lenses and cameras as well. I don't know Pentax gear, but if your longer heavier lenses have collars then they will balance better which will also help using a lighter tripod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at a light travelling tri-pod and came across the Benro range of gear. They do one that has a removeable leg to use as monopod. But one thing that was mentioned which has a bit of relevance to Trublubikers initial post was the fact that there is a hook at the bottom of the middle shaft to hang a bag off. which adds stability. Apart from recommended loadings the tripod weight vs gear weight could be balanced by this method. Not sure if this is a standard feature of all tripods.... I'm still researching.
    Cheers Elteedee