Thread: 17-40 L or 10-22? Help!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17-40 L or 10-22? Help!

OK, so I'm turning myself in circles on this one.

As you can see from my signature, I am blessed with some pretty sweet kit, which includes 2 L series lenses to cover 24mm to 200mm. I am currently sitting on a Sigma 17-70 (older, non OS version) for my wide stuff. Whilst I dont shoot wide very often (mainly portrait work) I DO shoot indoors often, and I am finding that I need to go to the Sigma too much to get those cramped room shots.

I love my 7D, but I know one day I am going to take the plunge and get a FF (probably keeping the 7D as a backup). I am completely fastidious about care of my lenses, so I have invested in L glass that I expect will see me into the FF era when the day comes.

So what to do? The two options that spring to mind are the 17-40L and 10-22, each have their strengths and weaknesses (and I will never be able to afford the 16-35 so dont go there ).

Pro's for the 17-40 are its build and lens quality (generally speaking, I know it is a bit disappointing at 17mm), plus it gives me a bit of reach when I need it, without swapping (I like a bit of overlap on my lens reach). Plus it is EF so it will suit the FF one day. But he 10-22 is so well regarded, but not as solid in build, and probably too wide for what I need really. Yes, I could sell it when the time comes too.

But it worries me that the 17-40 is so old a model and I may be buying for the future rather than now.

I dont do landscapes, it's pretty much for people / architecture stuff, often indoors, with a speedlight. As an example, I am shooting a wedding at a registry in November and want something by then. Small area, not much room to move.

Any ideas? Anyone owned both on a crop body and can share their thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ploddy; 19-08-2011 at 11:33pm.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

MY

Canon EOS 7D w grip | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580EX II speedlight | Cokin ND Grad system