Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out and about shooting

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    With your original photo, in P mode, if you were using a 60D I'd simply say turn the dial on the back of the camera 6 "notches" to the right and exposure would be better.
    Not necessarily.

I understand in the 60D, the functionality of the QCD (Quick Control Dial) to control the Exposure Compensation when the camera is in P Mode (or any Creative Mode) is dependent upon the selection of the LOCK FUNCTION.

This is a safety feature to prevent the accidental errors in the case of the QCD being moved inadvertently.

If the LOCK function is set to “ENABLE”, (via the Set Up Menu): then rotation of the QCD 6 clicks clockwise
    will NOT change the Exposure Compensation.

The “UNLOCK” button, which is situated at 6 o’clock relative to the QCD, can be pressed to temporarily override the LOCK function.

Regarding 6 notches to the right to make compensation of exactly 2EV, (which is the main problem the OP had):
    IF the OP had been using a 60D the number of clicks of the QCD to correct this, would be dependent upon the selection of Exposure Level Increments: which are selected via the Custom Functions.

6 notches will compensate 2EV - ONLY if ⅓Stop Exposure Level Increments is selected.

If however ½Stop Increments were selected: then 6 clicks would render the image 1 stop OVERexposed, relative to the camera’s TTL Metering Computation.

(does 350D have a dial on the back?)
    The 350D does NOT have a QCD. The QCD (or lack of it) is one of the main differentiating features between the xxxD and xxD series of EOS DSLR's.

The activation and control of Exposure Compensation in the 350D is different to the 60D.

The control of Exposure Compensation for the 350D is by use of the MAIN DIAL whilst, simultaneously depressing the APERTURE /EXPOSURE COMPENSATION BUTTON on the rear of the camera.

This functionality is outlined on p 89 of the 350D User’s Manual and this was mentioned previously, in this thread.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 24-08-2011 at 4:28am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's your exposures going now BecdS?
    I think I'm starting to get a handle on it. I've set my camera to show the histogram, but I do still get shots that are a little over/under-exposed. I'm working on it though. I've been practicing on more stationary objects so that I have time to think and change the aperture if I think the histogram looks wrong.

Can I ask why you decided to use P mode? (oh, I just did!).
    I had decided to use this mode because I thought it would be a bit less of a jump than moving straight from auto into Manual, A or... can't remember what the other one is ( ). I might have been right, but I just ended up more confused, not really understanding just what the camera was controlling and what I was. So, now I'm on A.

I have posted a couple of other pictures for CC since.

I very much welcome and appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism!

If you would like to edit any image I post here, please feel free to do so! I would love to see what you can come up with and learn your method.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BecdS View Post
    I think I'm starting to get a handle on it. I've set my camera to show the histogram, but I do still get shots that are a little over/under-exposed. I'm working on it though.
    Good stuff

WW
    Last edited by William W; 24-08-2011 at 9:32am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12