User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Laptop calibration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop calibration

I bought a Spyder 3 Express on the weekend, and calibrated my laptop screen and now it is very warm...almost yellow. I followed the instruction and let it warm up for 30mins and no direct light on it while I was doing it.

Wonder what I have done wrong?

Here is a link to some images I edited after the Calibration...do they look ok as far as that is concerned?

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...orgeous-family
    Last edited by triptych; 16-08-2011 at 5:57pm.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MOST monitors are to cold out of the box. By cold I don't mean not warmed up, but rather they have way to much blue in their factory default viewing settings. So if you are used to that, when you first calibrate a monitor, it is not unusual to think it looks to yellow/orange, till your eyes adjust to this

Your photos in your link look good to me (on a calibrated screen). Colours look very natural
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gosh I was meant to post in this thread but posted in the other one somehow, so I'll just paste it here for reference sake!

on my calibrated macbook pro monitor the colours are a bit cooler and more pleasing, on my calibrated Dell external monitor the colours are very warm with a strong hint of magenta etc in it - something I have come to notice from using Spyders in the past hence I dont use them anymore.

bottom line is, even after calibration you cant expect a laptop monitor to be very accurate, to be required for professional editing. Use a decent external monitor as much as you can.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! So a monitor is added to the list of needs hehe...it gets longer every day!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have big differences between my laptop and my external monitor. Make sure the profile is correctly picked up when swapping over.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    I bought a Spyder 3 Express on the weekend, and calibrated my laptop screen and now it is very warm...almost yellow. I followed the instruction and let it warm up for 30mins and no direct light on it while I was doing it.
    How do they look when you print them?

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    Here is a link to some images I edited after the Calibration...do they look ok as far as that is concerned?
    On both my Macbook Pro and my 30" Apple Cinema monitor (both calibrated with an Eye1) the images look fine with respect to colour balance.

Very nice images, with #4 having that special quality of capturing the emotion.

Ken