User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  23
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kittys Gorge Walktrail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds good and I'm free on the 25th - please count me in.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Peter on your website really nice. Love to see such natural shots and nothing over done in PP. The water looks great and love the mud hut. I would love to come along but i would be dead in half an hour
    Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod with Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball head with RC2 Quick Release. Lowepro Bags (2) Joby SLR-Zoom Gorillapod.

Olympus Pen EP5 Olympus Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Zuiko 14-42mm
    A huge wish list....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Final recce. God but I'm sore.
    I went from Jarrahdale to the first waterfallfall and it's not really worth it. The photo opportunities do not exist compared to going from Serpentine Falls.
    So the idea now is to meet at Serpentine falls, early, then do the hard walk to what I believe offers the best photo opportunities.
    Essentials for the day are,
    Bug spray - mozzies abound.
    Hat.
    Water - min 1 litre but recommend 2.
    Wide angle lens - There are lots of pano's available if you want them.
    Macro lens - if you have one. Lots of wild flowers.
    Munchies - I'm planning on most of the day as there will be great afternoon light as well.
    I will bring my camp stove and kettle but they are for the start and return to the vehicles. Bring your own mug.
    I would appreciate it if everyone who is definitely coming would PM me. I would like to organise a Roll Call at the start to safeguard everyone.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent; I'm in.
    Cheers for doing the recon, Peter.

Also, thanks for the earlier offer of a loan body, however, I now have my camera back and am eager to get snapping again.
    The only thing I am going to shoot before this walk is a set of corporate portraits - and they hardly scratch the creativity itch. So definitely looking forward to getting out and about =)
    Michael

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else interested?
    We have a few starters for Sunday.
    Meet at McDonalds at Cockburn Central @ 7am then go to Serpentine falls. I'm picking up to just before then.
    PM me if you want to join in. It would be nice to have a few of the girls join us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was a bit of an adventure.

After a meetup at McDonalds for caffeine, five of us set out for what was described as a ‘leisurely stroll’ through Kitty’s Gorge. Peter directed us to Falls Road for a nice start from Serpentine Falls NP.
    Not too far from the gate, we met the jovial ranger who told us where to go - and off we set, with the local culicidae fauna playfully keeping us company. The falls were flowing well and quite beautifully; It wasn’t long before I went for an impromptu swim.

Despite my best efforts, we were quickly back on the trail again to get some photos of the grand old bridge near the Mud Hut. Tom loved getting in close and experiencing the unique sensation to the skin that some of the resident plants provided.

After a brief stop at another set of falls, we engaged in some photo composition with a praying mantis in such a way that Shirley would be proud of, and enjoyed a break with cookies, music and chocolate.
    As the weather became more refreshing, we set off again down the ‘yellow brick road’. However, at the next set of falls, I split from the trail for a bit to try my luck at a higher altitude and encountered spiders and snakes and kangaroos (oh my!). A couple of other hikers thought they would follow me as I navigated to the other side of the water flow and up a small hill – but must have found something more interesting, as they quickly vanished in the dense scrub and were never seen again.

I soon rejoined the group and we experienced one more set of falls before making the return trip, back down the remarkable trail.
    On the exhilarating return, Peter exclaimed that he hadn’t felt such a sensation in regard to his well-being in such a good while - much of the group concurred. I can see how Kitty* found the gorge an interesting place and I am sure it will not be long before Tom is back again for some more happy snaps.

I hope to have some photos up later tonight, but I just want to thank the group that turned up, and especially Peter for organising the whole trip.
    Cheers =).

* Kitty was the lost cow the Gorge was named after. After being discovered missing, it wasn’t until few weeks later that she was found deep within the gorge – I could see how she quite possibly lost her way whilst prancing after some of the graceful butterflies that populate the area.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my defence, It was not I but Steve, who described the day to his lovely wife as "A leisurely stroll." She's never going to believe him again.

Those of us observing were very amused by Grug's impromptu swim. I hope the camera did not get wet again?

Tom swears he will "Never Again!" do Kittys Gorge.

I personally found it a fantastic day, with great people and a very spectacular environment. Thanks to those that attended and, to the girls that could not attend, whilst you missed a great day, you didn't miss the pain I am in now.

And it was not just Kitty who was chasing butterflies. Grug entertained us all with his antics.
    Last edited by peterking; 25-09-2011 at 11:38pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kittys Gorge Pics from today

Had some fun with the 105mm Macro.

[ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nikon D7000 | Nikkor 35/1.8| Nikkor 105/2.8 VR| Nikkor 18-105/3.5 VR| Nikkor 55-200/3.5 VR | Nikon Speedlight SB-900 |
    |Tamron 10-24/DiII 3.5 | Tamron 18-270/3.5 DiII VC |Sigma 24-70 EX DG/2.8|
    stevenh120@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More from Kittys Gorge

Some water shots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG][object HTMLDivElement][/ATTACH]

Attached Images Attached Images

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Brilliant Steve. I'm not sure I want to show mine now.
    I especially like the last one of the water. The clarity, points of colour and (I think it's called) the bokeh.
    You should be very proud of these results.

My meagre offerings follow.

Donkey Orchid.

The first of two carnivorous plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pete.
    Yep my fave was the last one as well.
    I'm kicking myself now for not taking a few pics of the Carniverous plants. You did a great job with them.
    Great day out Pete, thanks again for taking the time to show us around.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fantastic macro shots there! I especially like the 3rd water shot, it's very noice!! Thanks for the run down on how the day went, glad to hear it was a fun/eventful day Maybe I will get to the next one
    Sue-ann

Nikon D700/D90 | Nikkor 14-24/2.5 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 24-70/2.8 | Nikkor 105/2.8 | Nikon Speedlight SB-600 | Think Tank Streetwalker
    My Flickr Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm jealous of your adventure, I'd have loved to have come.
    I am not surprised that Grug was getting into some misadventures, he's strikes me as trouble

Hopefully catch up with everyone soon, is anyone doing the Scott Kelby Photowalk in Kings Park on Saturday?
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, trouble? Never! I haven't a single redeeming vice!
    And yep. I'll be at Sat's photo walk with another mate of mine - as much as an excuse to get out in the sun as anything else. Good to know there will be at least one other familiar face around =)

Now... glancing over my photos, I realise that it is always with the best of intentions that my worst work is done. However, I did manage to capture something quite unexpected that may explain how Kitty got all the way down the gorge: Clicky.
    Last edited by Grug; 28-09-2011 at 2:13am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Me, trouble? Never! I haven't a single redeeming vice!
    And yep. I'll be at Sat's photo walk with another mate of mine - as much as an excuse to get out in the sun as anything else. Good to know there will be at least one other familiar face around =)

Now... glancing over my photos, I realise that it is always with the best of intentions that my worst work is done. However, I did manage to capture something quite unexpected that may explain how Kitty got all the way down the gorge: Clicky.
    Very good! That explains it all!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12