User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Scotty's Garden meet-up in sydney - Darey's take

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotty's Garden meet-up in sydney - Darey's take

I had the pleasure of meeting with Scotty72 and Vanessa (Sunset) yesterday and we did a walk through the Sydney Botanical gardens to Mrs Macquarie's chair and then to Campbell Cove to get a Moon Rise over the Opera House.
    We had a very enjoyable time and finished the night with Vanessa's family enjoying a nice Pizza at a pleasant Italian restaurant in The Rocks.

I haven't processed many of my shots but thought I would post the following as an example of the shots that were on offer.

Thanks Scotty and Vanessa for a good meet.

#1 A flying fox that got peed-off when some nasty person clapped their hands and woke him up.
    DSC_0280v1.jpg

#2 Scotty, Vanessa (Sunset) & Hubby and 2 other togs preparing to shoot the sunset.
    DSC_9247v1.jpg

#3 The Opera House (unprocessed except for conversion to jpeg in Elements 9 and resizing in BDSizer)
    DSC_9268v1.jpg

#4 Opera of the Moon - The moon rising next to the Opera House
    DSC_9282v1.jpg

#5 Campbell's Cove and to the Harbur Bridge
    DSC_9285v1.jpg
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Opera House shot is great I'll have a go at a more subtle processing with mine after I finish marking the Trial HSC. 100 essays on the Great Gatsby. Yippee!
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I like the moon shot with the Opera House - looks a treat.

That second shot is a worry. Possibly a 10-stop ND would have helped unless you have a specific tog-filter.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Nice. I like the moon shot with the Opera House - looks a treat.

That second shot is a worry. Possibly a 10-stop ND would have helped unless you have a specific tog-filter.
    Very funny Pete. Har! Har!

I guess only someone of your immeasurable handsomeness could possible say such a thing.

I thought the Unabomber look was coming back into vogue?

Scotty

Beauty is but skin deep: Ugly goes down to the bone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darey, have you gone all formal on me?!!! ... Vanessa .... What's wrong with Ness which you usually call me? !!
    Like all your shots, well done. Great colours in them I'll ignore Pete's comments too
    Ness

Nikon D7000, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 XR DiII VC , Nikkor AF-S 70-300 4.5-56 VR
    Speedlight SB700

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty,
    Thanks, I look forward to seeing more of your shots and good luck with the exam paper marking.

Peter,
    Thanks for the comment. I had my ND 400 filter with me but forgot to use it in shot #2 .

Ness,
    Oops sorry, I was a little bit formal wasn't I. Thanks for the comment on the colors. The reason I posted the unprocessed OH shot (shot #3) was to show viewers just how good the color was just prior to the moon rise.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was the tog at the front that resulted in massive over-exposure. A minimum ND1000 is the way to go.

BTW, thanks for the kind words Scotty re my stunning good looks - but as you know, I am exceedingly modest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the one of Campells Cove. This is a lovely shot.
    Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 Nikon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm macro f2.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4 - 5.6, SB-600, Manfrotto tripod and head.
    Software: Elements 10 and Aperture.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the second OH shot with the moon Greg and the Campbell's Cove one (without the crowds). Well done!
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the second OH shot and also the bridge shot!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Judy,
    Thanks for your kind comment. I also like the Campbells Cove shot too, mainly for the dynamic range I got in the shot. The D7000 never fails to impress me every time I use it.

Narelle,
    Thanks for viewing and your comment. Its a shame you couldn't be with us, poor Ness had a hard time keeping me line without your help. I hope your gig went well.

Lance,
    Thanks for your comment. Scotty had the TPE App on his phone so we were able to find the right location to get the moon rise next to the OH and the rest depended on nature. Nature was kind and we managed to get some cloud in the scene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg, l love #4 and 5 great shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely shots !!

Decided to "shave" my signature ;]
    Now mostly shoots with: Canon 5D MK3 & Canon 24-70 f/2.8/50mm f/1.8 (also have a 550D with a variety of lenses/goodies and a Sony Nex-5N)
    PP with: Lightroom only, Photoshop is merely a 9-5 work tool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love #4 and #5. Just seems so sharp. Well done mate.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, love them all. nice one of scotty too, looks like youre enjoying yourself mate.
    love the moon one.
    Sorry i couldnt make it, hopefully next meet i can
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    Thanks mate I am very happy with them.

Tommo,
    Thanks for commenting.

enVision,
    Thanks for viewing and commenting, we had good conditions on the night.

Danielle,
    Thanks for your kind comments. We had a good time and I'm happy with the shots we got.
    I'm looking forward to seeing you on the next meet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks and sounds like you all had a good time....and I love the second OH shot as well...just beautiful.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your night shots never fail to disappoint Greg, quality work as always. Was bummed out I couldn't make this meet. Did you guys get any macros or were there no flowers out yet ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graeme,
    Thanks for viewing and your kind comment, we had a good tome and were rewarded with a good moonrise.

Glenn,
    Spring hasn't hit the Botanical Gardens yet and there wasn't much going on in the macro genre. My macro shots were ordinary but I think Scotty got a few good ones. I don't know how Ness went, she seemed to be taking a few bird shots and spent some time with her family (when not trying to climb trees )
    I think you would have got some good macro shots (between rain showers) because you have an eye for macro and would have naturally spotted the opportunities.

See ya at the next meet.
    Last edited by Darey; 19-08-2011 at 5:17pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    I don't know how Ness went, she seemed to be taking a few bird shots and spent some time with her family (when not trying to climb trees )
    I went OK but as usual not enough time to process/post any photos. I will try ,,,