Thread: Which wide angle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which wide angle?

Thanks for the previous help with body or lens. I will stay with the Canon 1000D and go for a lens for landscape.

I was looking at a few sigma lenses, the 8-16, the 10-20 f3.5 and 10-20 f4-5.6.

The wider angle of the 8-16 interests me, but having no ability to attach a filter worries me a little.

Doing some searching the main differences 10-20 f3.5 and 10-20 f4-5.6 I can see is the 3.5 is a little faster and $150 to $200 more expensive.

Can anyone recommend one of these over the other, or is another a better investment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't recommend one over the other, but I have the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and am very happy with it..have never wished I had the f3.5 as when shooting landscapes in low light, I use a tripod anyway..
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 10-20 f/4-5.6 (bought before the f/3.5 released) and think it's a pretty good performer. I don't use it a great deal but when I do I generally use it at 10mm, so the difference in max aperture between f/4 (at 10mm) and f/3.5 on the other version is not really an issue for me. The f/3.5 version is a bit bigger and heavier than the f/4-5.6 and from memory uses a larger (82mm ?) filter.

If buying now, out of the two Sigmas I'd get the f/4-5.6, If I was looking for something faster I'd probably go with the f/2.8 Tokina 11-16mm rather than the f/3.5 Sigma. (I think they're around the same price point).

(Not sure I've helped...)

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 8-16mm myself, in Nikon mount.
    What do you need the filter for? If it's just for protection, don't worry - the front element is plenty robust. It is rather annoying not to be able to use screw-in filters, but I'm exploring alternatives at the moment.
    I love the fact that it has such a huge angle of view, leads to being able to take some incredibly breathtaking vistas:

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbringer View Post
    I have the 8-16mm myself, in Nikon mount.
    What do you need the filter for? If it's just for protection, don't worry - the front element is plenty robust.
    I was after the ability to use a filter for 2 reasons. First I am afraid I will scratch the lens and 2nd I have not used filters much and didn't want to limit my ability to use them in the future.

But the huge angle is what I am after, hence my dilemma.

Thanks for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planning to get one, or going for something more filter friendly like the 10-20mm?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased the 10-20 yesterday and taking it out to Sydney Harbour tonight.

Thanks for all the help

Stuart